Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

What's so great about paying for Sirius XM radio? I get local stations w/FM & I'm just fine. If I go on long road trips then I pop in a Doobie Brothers greatest hits tape & it's good for hours.

You get some good music channels of your peferred genre, political channels of our liking, no commercials. Can listen online at home. I have like 3000 songs on my media player on my PC, but for $5/month I like it.

I will kick it on jazz channel for a soothing mood.

You get some good music channels of your peferred genre, political channels of our liking, no commercials. Can listen online at home. I have like 3000 songs on my media player on my PC, but for $5/month I like it.

On my computer, I have accuradio ....... and it's free. Thousands & thousands of the same thing (music wise) you pay $5/month for.

Sorry ...... play the CD. I knew when I posted the word tape I was going to get some ........... back. ;)
My last truck had a 6 disc cd player in it, my current truck has none. I have a lot of stored music, but I have no desire to load it on my phone and link it to my trucks radio. $99, sirius xm and I just push buttons on the radio until I find something I like.

Reactions: AM64
On my computer, I have accuradio ....... and it's free. Thousands & thousands of the same thing (music wise) you pay $5/month for.

Never heard of it and will need to check out. One thing I like about XM is I can go back and listen the prior hour (at home) to any point and fast forward. Kinda neat.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Spotify (an audio app readily available on cell phones) is a free streaming service which allows the user to select different genres of music, different decades, new music, albums of artists, and even podcast (audio series commonly using an interview format). I simply connect the app from my phone via a wireless Bluetooth connection. It allows me to listen to my favorites without a fee and without keeping up with physical storage of media (like an 8 track).

Never heard of it and will need to check out. One thing I like about XM is I can go back and listen the prior hour (at home) to any point and fast forward. Kinda neat.

I was sitting here at the computer a couple of years ago and I was tired of the TV volume being on constantly.....I needed some music to hear. So I started searching the internet & I found ..... Accuradio.com. It's got the most music storage of all in one place. And it's ALL FREE on the computer. I have mostly saved 70s 80s & 90s + a little of the 2000s songs that will play bc I saved those under the "5 Star Radio" banner to play.

Last edited:
Spotify (an audio app readily available on cell phones) is a free streaming service which allows the user to select different genres of music, different decades, new music, albums of artists, and even podcast (audio series commonly using an interview format). I simply connect the app from my phone via a wireless Bluetooth connection. It allows me to listen to my favorites without a fee and without keeping up with physical storage of media (like an 8 track).
I'm not quite the doddering old fool you might think I am. I know how to do all of that stuff, I just have no desire to do it and $100 is nothing in the grand scheme of things to me.

What's so great about paying for Sirius XM radio? I get local stations w/FM & I'm just fine. If I go on long road trips then I pop in a Doobie Brothers greatest hits tape & it's good for hours.

My new car audio unit has dual USB inputs and multiple Bluetooth inputs, so I just loaded up a couple of 64 Gb thumb drives. I'd be listening to oldies anyway, so I just listen to my own. That leaves the other USB for Android auto from my phone, and my wife can still connect with Bluetooth if she wants. I also have an interface to the USB OBD-II port and can monitor all kinds of stuff not on the dash. The one thing I'm unhappy about is that I've never been able to get the tire pressures to show up, and with low profile tires and changing weather the tire pressure warning drives me nuts.

Last edited:
My last truck had a 6 disc cd player in it, my current truck has none. I have a lot of stored music, but I have no desire to load it on my phone and link it to my trucks radio. $99, sirius xm and I just push buttons on the radio until I find something I like.

Old school with new tech

My new car audio unit has dual USB inputs and multiple Bluetooth inputs, so I just loaded up a couple of 64 Gb thumb drives. I'd be listening to oldies anyway, so I just listen to my own. That leaves the other USB for Android auto from my phone, and my wife can still connect with Bluetooth if she wants. I also have an interface to the USB port and can monitor all kinds of stuff not on the dash. The one thing I'm unhappy about is that I've never been able to get the tire pressures to show up, and with low profile tires and changing weather the tire pressure warning drives me nuts.

Wonder if N2 would help the finicky.

I used to slam my office door on more than one occasion daily after listening to yuk yuk conversations in the hallway outside my office.

I’m known as the guy who has his door closed all the time. If I had my own pisser and a fridge I wouldn’t come out all day. I will even dial into some meetings taking place down the hall. My old boss used to encourage me to be more of a “joiner”.

I'm not quite the doddering old fool you might think I am. I know how to do all of that stuff, I just have no desire to do it and $100 is nothing in the grand scheme of things to me.
You're the perpetually grumpy codger who replied, "huh". Don't post stupidity if you don't want to be thought ignorant.

It might. My car is over 10 years old now so it may be the monitoring system as much as anything. Apparently the tire pressure sensors are battery operated.
They are. Fairly cheap to replace.

I have a tire shop put them on. The calibration process is straightforward.

I knew it!

safecake.jpg

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
Mine is like $5 a month. They tried to upcharge me after first year expiration on my current vehicle, but kept sending me emails for years on my old car radio at unreal prices, even though I no longer own the vehicle. I think I changed the radio ID to the new number or something like that. All I know is they still hammer me with emails on a car I no longer own and got the price back to $5.99. All a fog how I did it but hey, I am golden for another year.
Just tell them you want to cancel. Then they “see what they can do” and magically it’s $6 a month for the next six months or so. I’ve been doing this on the wife’s car for over two years.

VN Store

Back