Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I’m not defending Kiffin’s time or staff by saying Dooley was a horrible hire.

Taking a year to regroup and let Kippy Brown run things so that a real coaching search could take place would’ve been the best thing to do IMO.

Dooley proved without a doubt he is a sub-500 coach at any level (17-20 at La Tech, 15-21 at UT).

They could have hired a good coach in 2010-2011 as the brand had not yet been destroyed by 13 years of ineptitude.

I’ve honestly lost my passion for football Saturdays - not sure how many others have, but my time is more valuable to me than the product UT has been putting on the field.

If better decisions had been made after Kiffin left who knows what might have happened.

You are 100% correct, Hamilton should have tagged Kippy the interim and waited until the next season was over. BUT Hamilton was incompetent.

Reactions: ajvol01 and AM64
It won't be quick. But they'll either "uncover" low level infractions that get reported or the NCAA will be onto them.

You and I both know Kiffin is as dirty as they come.

He's no dirtier than the rest of the coaches in the SEC.

If better decisions had been made after Kiffin left who knows what might have happened.

From the administration level. I don't blame Dooley for being given the chance of a lifetime and flopping at it.

As someone pointed out, he's obviously not a bad coach since he keeps getting jobs. Head coach is obviously debatable.

Reactions: AM64
From the administration level. I don't blame Dooley for being given the chance of a lifetime and flopping at it.

As someone pointed out, he's obviously not a bad coach since he keeps getting jobs. Head coach is obviously debatable.

I can't blame Dooley, who in his position then wouldn't have jumped at the opportunity?

I don’t blame Dooley. Mike Hamilton set UT football back a decade with bad decisions.

Hart, Currie & Fulmer did nothing to reverse the trend.

Reactions: hog88
Except Saban. Everyone knows he waves his magic wand and recruits come running.

Saban has a lot of top cover. It will be interesting to see what happens in the SEC when he does finally retire, coaching lifespans will probably go up.

Saban has a lot of top cover. It will be interesting to see what happens in the SEC when he does finally retire, coaching lifespans will probably go up.

I like to say Texas and Vol fans are completely unrealistic when it comes to a coaching search. I can't wait to see how the Bammers react when Dabo tells them to get bent and stays at Clemson.

Of course, Saban will likely pick his own successor much like Big Game Bob did.

I like to say Texas and Vol fans are completely unrealistic when it comes to a coaching search. I can't wait to see how the Bammers react when Dabo tells them to get bent and stays at Clemson.

Please let it be cornbread.

In all seriousness no matter who Bamma hires after Saban they will take a couple steps backwards which will be good for the SEC.

I think it's going to get harder and harder for P5 schools to hire quality coaches away from G5 programs and lower level P5. A lot of coaches doing well in a G5 program or P5 schools are making 2-3 million or more so why take on the stress and BS along with the insecurity of a top level P5 program?

Please let it be cornbread.

In all seriousness no matter who Bamma hires after Saban they will take a couple steps backwards which will be good for the SEC.

I think if Saban has a choice in the matter, it'll be a small step. Now, if he completely abdicates any choice in the matter and it turns into a free for all coaching search, they'll go back a bit.

But yes, I think it'll be good for all college football the day Saban retires.

McElwain or Pruitt?

McElwain or Pruitt?

Pruitt screwed up any chance he might have had over the last three years.

Truth is, I don't think anyone knows who it might be. The thing about Saban is even if you hire away all his coaching talent, he somehow finds more and they stay at the same level. I'd really love to know what deal he cut with Satan for such power.

He's no dirtier than the rest of the coaches in the SEC.

Arrogant and dirty is a more dangerous combination than careful and dirty or maybe even incompetent and dirty. I agree with you for the most party, though. For example, Neidermeyer was a great hire here because of his recruiting skills ... which apparently included a lot of flexibility with recruiting rules. I have a hard time swallowing the concept that Neidermeyer did his job differently here than at GA or Bama.

Arrogant and dirty is a more dangerous combination than careful and dirty or maybe even incompetent and dirty. I agree with you for the most party, though. For example, Neidermeyer was a great hire here because of his recruiting skills ... which apparently included a lot of flexibility with recruiting rules. I have a hard time swallowing the concept that Neidermeyer did his job differently here than at GA or Bama.

Pruitt turned out to be far dirtier and more arrogant than CLK.

Reactions: volfanhill
Pruitt screwed up any chance he might have had over the last three years.

Truth is, I don't think anyone knows who it might be. The thing about Saban is even if you hire away all his coaching talent, he somehow finds more and they stay at the same level. I'd really love to know what deal he cut with Satan for such power.

Pruitt just needs to return to Saban's Home for Wayward Boys and be reborn. After all, look at what Saban did for Sark and Kiffin after they fouled their head coaching nests.

Pruitt turned out to be far dirtier and more arrogant than CLK.

I'm leaning toward incompetent - at best turned a blind eye. It will be interesting to see the results or the investigation, and how they point the finger. If they go rogue assistants keeping the boss in the dark, it could be a twofer. The still have the contract clause that doesn't let Pruitt off the hook and it likely puts GA in a hot recruiting scandal ... as in it takes at least two to get into a bidding war.

I’m not defending Kiffin’s time or staff by saying Dooley was a horrible hire.

Taking a year to regroup and let Kippy Brown run things so that a real coaching search could take place would’ve been the best thing to do IMO.

Dooley proved without a doubt he is a sub-500 coach at any level (17-20 at La Tech, 15-21 at UT).

They could have hired a good coach in 2010-2011 as the brand had not yet been destroyed by 13 years of ineptitude.

I’ve honestly lost my passion for football Saturdays - not sure how many others have, but my time is more valuable to me than the product UT has been putting on the field.

I'm just going with a military term "FNG" (new guy) for the most recent coach and any followers. Not worth remembering names until and unless they manage something credible and sustainable.

VN Store

Back