Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

You know the further away from Dooley we get, I think the more we appreciate him lol
No, I think that may be just you GV.

dooley.jpg

070615-CFB-Tennessee--Derek-Dooley-7-IA-ssm.jpg

153062433.0.jpg

Reactions: StarRaider
Nope. We actually needed 1 year interim HC Kippy Brown to allow time to hire a real coach. Dooley was doomed from the start - all that year zero BS - he was never going to win.
yep dooley wuz turrible... and he beat butch jones... we have had crap ADs since Dickey retired (at least football-wise).

Reactions: AM64
You know the further away from Dooley we get, I think the more we appreciate him lol

It may be down to us, but I actually liked Dooley. He left a lot to be desired as a coach - I'm guessing that he sees millennials about like some of the rest of us do, and that probably didn't help him with the kids playing football. As opposed to some of our other coaching staff, Dooley did appear to have a brain, but he still didn't always communicate that well. None of our lesser division HC hires have scaled up well, so that Dooley probably suffered from that. I guess time will tell if the FNG (not gonna bother with a name for now) will do any better.

It may be down to us, but I actually liked Dooley. He left a lot to be desired as a coach - I'm guessing that he sees millennials about like some of the rest of us do, and that probably didn't help him with the kids playing football. As opposed to some of our other coaching staff, Dooley did appear to have a brain, but he still didn't always communicate that well. None of our lesser division HC hires have scaled up well, so that Dooley probably suffered from that. I guess time will tell if the FNG (not gonna bother with a name for now) will do any better.
Dooley would’ve never gotten any HC job without his last name.

I don’t think his staff respected him. His players definitely didn’t respect him.

Dooley would’ve never gotten any HC job without his last name.

I don’t think his staff respected him. His players definitely didn’t respect him.

No denying the name helped, but when you look over his career, he's done pretty well in some coaching jobs. He looks like a victim of the Peter Principle in a head coaching position - and he's got a lot of company. Dooley is back coaching in the NFL, so obviously he's got something most people don't going for him.

No denying the name helped, but when you look over his career, he's done pretty well in some coaching jobs. He looks like a victim of the Peter Principle in a head coaching position - and he's got a lot of company. Dooley is back coaching in the NFL, so obviously he's got something most people don't going for him.
He was never a coordinator before La Tech and was a very unimpressive 17-20 while HC.

He was completely out of his depth at UT.

I’ll be very surprised if he ever gets another chance at a major HC job.

Have to give him some credit, his analogies were...different. The Normandy invasion. After Dooley we had to settle for bricks and 5 star hearts.

Nope. We actually needed 1 year interim HC Kippy Brown to allow time to hire a real coach. Dooley was doomed from the start - all that year zero BS - he was never going to win.

Dooley was horrible, but after Kiffin came in here running his mouth and caused the NCAA to start looking harder at us, we needed someone like Dooley that was, well, boring. He had a lot of faults, that's for certain, but overall, he ran a clean program while he was here.

Ole Miss will be back in trouble before this is over. Bet on it.

Dooley was horrible, but after Kiffin came in here running his mouth and caused the NCAA to start looking harder at us, we needed someone like Dooley that was, well, boring. He had a lot of faults, that's for certain, but overall, he ran a clean program while he was here.

I'll take that bet.

I’m not defending Kiffin’s time or staff by saying Dooley was a horrible hire.

Taking a year to regroup and let Kippy Brown run things so that a real coaching search could take place would’ve been the best thing to do IMO.

Dooley proved without a doubt he is a sub-500 coach at any level (17-20 at La Tech, 15-21 at UT).

They could have hired a good coach in 2010-2011 as the brand had not yet been destroyed by 13 years of ineptitude.

I’ve honestly lost my passion for football Saturdays - not sure how many others have, but my time is more valuable to me than the product UT has been putting on the field.

If better decisions had been made after Kiffin left who knows what might have happened.

VN Store

Back