Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

The forecast for the weekend here is not good. Next week, it'll be a terrible way to stay indoors with rain/snow & cold temperatures on the way. We had an ice storm to come through here last night ...... Joy joy.

I wondered how it was over there. The Weather Underground map showed a lot of 20s and ice all over, but the TDOT traffic cams didn't show any slow up through Memphis or on the bridges when I went to bed after 2. Around Chattanooga it stayed in the 50s overnight and is just now dropping into the 40s. This link is centered close to you - if you zoom in it picks up all the home weather stations connected to the internet, so much more informative that NWS or the Weather Channel. The radar runs slow if you don't turn the weather stations off - over in settings on the right side of the screen. Set your lat and long in the url and then save it as a bookmark

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap?lat=35.37&lon=-88.50

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
You just that some guy in Miami is going to put 4 of these on the back of a fishing boat so he can get 100 miles offshore in 8 minutes.

Must be some interesting fish he's going for. My brother considered going to work for the DEA or some other similar acronym when he retired from the AF. They were installing the targeting/tracking radar from the F-106 (I think) in some planes they flew over the gulf for tracking uncharted flights. He flew F-106s for years before F-15s; in the end he decided Delta was a better choice.

Reactions: VolStrom
I've been on that section of 35 down there. And remember, Texas doesn't get that much snow/ice like that. Or very often. That section is even worse since it's a barricaded highway with nowhere to go and you start playing vehicle ping-pong with those concrete dividers.

Once that truck let go, it was all over but the crying.

I can tell you from experience that those concrete dividers don't give much!

I rode my bike all winter long during a couple of years in ME - the roads were always covered with crunchy snow (not the slick stuff we see in the lower part of the country). That still gives you a real perspective on riding and driving on slick roads though. The fun part was ruts - when one wheel went in one and the other wheel in a different one, and you could never be sure which tire would be the first to give up and pop out of the rut.

Reactions: RavinDave
I can tell you from experience that those concrete dividers don't give much!

I rode my bike all winter long during a couple of years in ME - the roads were always covered with crunchy snow (not the slick stuff we see in the lower part of the country). That still gives you a real perspective on riding and driving on slick roads though. The fun part was ruts - when one wheel went in one and the other wheel in a different one, and you could never be sure which tire would be the first to give up and pop out of the rut.

Yeah, I don't trust anything with less than four wheels...

Reactions: RavinDave and AM64

After that experience with a Toyota pickup on a wet elevated interstate, I decided that I wasn't going to trust anything with less than all wheel drive - and at least four wheels at that. I also learned while waiting for the wrecker just how much those roads bounce up and down - loading and unloading the wheels. I'd bet a lot of accidents on roadways like that are caused by the road dropping under the tires. You can see rises and dips in the road and estimate what they sill do, but you can't see it on a bridge when a semi bounces it.

It's been reported there have been 9 deaths so far across the State of Texas due to the weather conditions.
There was a car accident in Georgia on I-75 with some cars having been caught on fire. This was because of rain slick roads and speedy drivers.

1sxupishkvg61.png

I rode motorcycles my whole life until about 2 years ago. Just doesn’t feel right anymore, I guess it’s true your sense of balance can diminish once you’re in your 60’s. The last bike I ever bought was an old-style Beemer, 1982 touring bike, bought in NJ in 1989 and I still have it, but it just sits in my warehouse now, I use the back case to hold my BOLs when I have freight going out. Wife wants me to sell it but I can’t bring myself to do it yet.

I rode motorcycles my whole life until about 2 years ago. Just doesn’t feel right anymore, I guess it’s true your sense of balance can diminish once you’re in your 60’s. The last bike I ever bought was an old-style Beemer, 1982 touring bike, bought in NJ in 1989 and I still have it, but it just sits in my warehouse now, I use the back case to hold my BOLs when I have freight going out. Wife wants me to sell it but I can’t bring myself to do it yet.
I rode for about 20 years, too. Had a BMW K100. Wonderful bike. Built like a tank.

I stopped after i realized I wasn't riding frequently enough to keep my skills honed. Every spring when all the bikes come out I get a hankering again. But it doesn't last.

I hope you can eventually find someone who wants your bike for the right reasons.

Well, I just did something I've never done before...

I called into work twice due to the weather.
Dang.

I wish you wouldn't have spilled the beans and allowed us to guess what the 'never done before' thing was. I'm certain we could've had some fun with it.

Reactions: AM64
I rode for about 20 years, too. Had a BMW K100. Wonderful bike. Built like a tank.

I stopped after i realized I wasn't riding frequently enough to keep my skills honed. Every spring when all the bikes come out I get a hankering again. But it doesn't last.

I hope you can eventually find someone who wants your bike for the right reasons.
Those are great bikes. The old boy I bought my R100RT from had moved up to a new K bike. A few years ago I thought about getting a new bike and I had my eye on the R type but could not justify it if I had no time to enjoy it. Same with buying a boat.

Reactions: McDad
Those are great bikes. The old boy I bought my R100RT from had moved up to a new K bike. A few years ago I thought about getting a new bike and I had my eye on the R type but could not justify it if I had no time to enjoy it. Same with buying a boat.
if you get anything, it should be a 911. 4 wheels and less expensive to maintain than a boat.

Tell your wife it is the cost conscious and safest choice.

WTH is that real? A mutant 914?
Looks real to me. I googles 'Porsche El Camino' and that image popped up.

I found a 2014 911 Carrera S going for auction in Austin.
And a 2017 convertible Carrera in Houston.
And a 2018 911 GT3 in Palm Beach, Fla.

Last edited:
Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back