Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Yeah there are different levels of licensing based on tonnage and inland or blue-water but you only need one if you're getting paid. I have heard of insurance companies requiring an owner to have a licensed captain on some of the larger vessels even if they are not chartering them.

Hey- don't make me go all rockytop85 on you.......
Oh on a side note on insurance and captain experience.

So when I bought the death trap I went thru my regular insurance agent for coverage. Note I don’t have to have it as I paid cash but you’d be stupid to not have insurance due liability coverage.

So no problem right? Remember while I drove all kinds of hipo boats when I was young I didn’t own my OWN boat. Now in my 50’s i spring for my boat... with a 250HP motor. Farmers said Nope!

Lol don’t blame them. They had no knowledge of me or any skills I MIGHT have. I have no problems now though as I’ve got two years of claim free under my belt.

But yeah... a 57 year old first boat with a 250HP motor that will run 80+ 🤣. I knew it was looking for a chance to kill me but they didn’t know that

Reactions: AM64
Oh on a side note on insurance and captain experience.

So when I bought the death trap I went thru my regular insurance agent for coverage. Note I don’t have to have it as I paid cash but you’d be stupid to not have insurance due liability coverage.

So no problem right? Remember while I drove all kinds of hipo boats when I was young I didn’t own my OWN boat. Now in my 50’s i spring for my boat... with a 250HP motor. Farmers said Nope!

Lol don’t blame them. They had no knowledge of me or any skills I MIGHT have. I have no problems now though as I’ve got two years of claim free under my belt.

But yeah... a 57 year old first boat with a 250HP motor that will run 80+ 🤣. I knew it was looking for a chance to kill me but they didn’t know that

I never had any trouble getting boat insurance even in my dumb 20s. Only 2 reasons I got my 6-Pack license is VA makes everyone regardless of age or residence take their boaters safety course or have a CGCL and I ain't paying VA another dime and I thought it would be cool to really be a Captain. Wife even brought me a hat.

I never had any trouble getting boat insurance even in my dumb 20s. Only 2 reasons I got my 6-Pack license is VA makes everyone regardless of age or residence take their boaters safety course or have a CGCL and I ain't paying VA another dime and I thought it would be cool to really be a Captain. Wife even brought me a hat.
I didn’t have trouble. Progressive picked me right up no problem. Had other options too.

Just found it funny Farmer’s wouldn’t touch me. And when you stop and think about it they’ve kinda got a point!

I didn’t have trouble. Progressive picked me right up no problem. Had other options too.

Just found it funny Farmer’s would touch me. And when you stop and think about it they’ve kinda got a point!

I was with USAA (I think) when we got our first and they're super easy to deal with. Only time I had trouble getting insurance was when I was 16 and purchased my first street bike. Farm Bureau laughed at me when I tried to get a policy.

VN Store

Back