Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

giphy.gif

No royal blue allowed on the seahorse.

Yes there are it’s based on tonnage I believe.

Yeah there are different levels of licensing based on tonnage and inland or blue-water but you only need one if you're getting paid. I have heard of insurance companies requiring an owner to have a licensed captain on some of the larger vessels even if they are not chartering them.

Hey- don't make me go all rockytop85 on you.......

Yes, and so does international waters.
Could you legally pilot that boat if you discount insurance? I’d guess that’s a 50 ton displacement vessel and well into the licensed captain tonnage range USCG calls for. I thought that crossed commercial and private registration, it was pure displacement

Yeah there are different levels of licensing based on tonnage and inland or blue-water but you only need one if you're getting paid. I have heard of insurance companies requiring an owner to have a licensed captain on some of the larger vessels even if they are not chartering them.

Hey- don't make me go all rockytop85 on you.......
Oh Gawd... ok withdrawn.

Regardless after skippering some sailing yachts and going thru training on that so I didn’t needlessly kill somebody I wouldn’t start a diesel on that boat without supervision.

The license has nothing to do with operation of the vessel. It’s completely about what to do when the vessel isn’t operating and how to avoid situations which result in a non operating vessel.

Reactions: hog88
Didn't know that. I have my OUPV so as long as we stay within 100 miles of shore, boat is under 100 tons and no more than 6 people I'm your man.
I haven't seen you promote yourself this hard before.

Oh Gawd... ok withdrawn.

Regardless after skippering some sailing yachts and going thru training on that so I didn’t needlessly kill somebody I wouldn’t start a diesel on that boat without supervision.

The license has nothing to do with operation of the vessel. It’s completely about what to do when the vessel isn’t operating and how to avoid situations which result in a non operating vessel.

In a situation with a non operating vessel in open water you drink. It's not rocket science.

Reactions: NorthDallas40

VN Store

Back