Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

For great brisket, you need to try Tujague’s in New Orleans. It's on Decatur St, and I haven't been there in several years. It's moved closer to Canal from the location pretty much across from the French Market. I'm not sure what the move may have done for the place, but it was really good, and you may need reservations depending on when you eat - sometimes you can walk in. They bill themselves as New Orleans second oldest restaurant. I've seen a lot of people walk in and be confused by nobody seating them immediately and by the menu; just take it all in stride, it's worth figuring it all out. Meals are served in courses (a few of them) and a brisket sample was always included - you won't leave hungry. It's not cheap BTW.
Sounds fantastic. Never been to NO, but plan on going the next few years, I’ll look it up.

Reactions: McDad and AM64
For great brisket, you need to try Tujague’s in New Orleans. It's on Decatur St, and I haven't been there in several years. It's moved closer to Canal from the location pretty much across from the French Market. I'm not sure what the move may have done for the place, but it was really good, and you may need reservations depending on when you eat - sometimes you can walk in. They bill themselves as New Orleans second oldest restaurant. I've seen a lot of people walk in and be confused by nobody seating them immediately and by the menu; just take it all in stride, it's worth figuring it all out. Meals are served in courses (a few of them) and a brisket sample was always included - you won't leave hungry. It's not cheap BTW.
We're headed there in 2 weeks. Will check it out.

Going to my fav restaurant on the planet, too!

Reactions: AM64
We're headed there in 2 weeks. Will check it out.

Going to my fav restaurant on the planet, too!

Which restaurant is that? I've always enjoyed the Gumbo Shop for a meal or two. The Commander's Palace is good but overpriced. The problem with New Orleans is finding the good places rather than the places designed to snag tourists which probably really rules out anything in the French Quarter. The Cafe Du Mond is like a requirement to say you've been there; the beignets are great ... the coffee not so much to me. Two things: never inhale when you bite down on a beignet, and never, ever think you can bring them home or even keep them overnight,

Which restaurant is that? I've always enjoyed the Gumbo Shop for a meal or two. The Commander's Palace is good but overpriced. The problem with New Orleans is finding the good places rather than the places designed to snag tourists which probably really rules out anything in the French Quarter. The Cafe Du Mond is like a requirement to say you've been there; the beignets are great ... the coffee not so much to me. Two things: never inhale when you bite down on a beignet, and never, ever think you can bring them home or even keep them overnight,
In the late 90s when I was based in Baton Rouge, my boss who was a delegate from Germany, would treat our small group and spouses or significant others to a Christmas dinner at Commander’s Palace. Who cares about the price when the boss signs the check eh?

Desi Vega is my favorite. Local place. Owned by Brennan family but managed by the head chef.

I agree with you on cafe du mond.

Reactions: RavinDave and AM64
Desi Vega is my favorite. Local place. Owned by Brennan family but managed by the head chef.

I agree with you on cafe du mond.

I guess some day we'll get back there. I'll have to remember that place; I'm not at all familiar with it. I can't remember if we've been there since Katrina or not - it's been a while. We usually went for nursing programs my wife attended. She actually goes to all the sessions, and I bum around during the day - the French Quarter isn't always very attractive in the light of day. Then we'd eat as early as she was through and walk around the Quarter after. We've never been party animals, so maybe a drink or two, but most bars there are too full and too loud.

VN Store

Back