Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

You are the one putting your nuts in the vice thinking we are going to have a winning season.

I come wearing a cup. Nut shots dont hurt as bad and it allows me to enjoy what little one can with UT football.

Your shattered nuts insist you keep doubling down on the new coach. Calm your tits for a couple years and see how things go. Far less misery.
My nuts are just fine. Ask your mom.

Now, go back and look at recruiting classes and the projected talent left on each team. I'm confident it'll show us with an advantage, and if it doesn't, will eat crow. We only play 3 big time programs this year.
When has the recruiting class thing worked for us? Fulmer was recruiting top 10 till the end. Kiffin top 5, dooley top 20, butch top 5, Pruitt top 10.

We didnt even have anyone drafted for 2 straight years during that time. And another blank in 2019.

TN. Vandy. KY. Sc. MU
2020. 2. 2. 2. 4. 2
2019. 0. 2. 5. 3. 2
2018. 3. 1. 0. 1. 1

Recruiting classes mean jack when it comes to us. You HAVE to have coaching and we dont.

We are tied with Mizzou and Vandy, but behind the rest on PRODUCING talent. Eff stars, the results speak for themselves.

Reactions: AM64
So coaching matters? Which is why I expect this staff to be good and coach up the talent we have. This is about expectation. I expect this staff to succeed. Reality will show us if they do. We either made a good hire or another crap hire. I'm not going to expect a crap hire. Just not going to do it.
He can be a good coach and not do much his first year. Especially given our circumstances. Why does it have to be all or nothing?

When has the recruiting class thing worked for us? Fulmer was recruiting top 10 till the end. Kiffin top 5, dooley top 20, butch top 5, Pruitt top 10.

We didnt even have anyone drafted for 2 straight years during that time. And another blank in 2019.

TN. Vandy. KY. Sc. MU
2020. 2. 2. 2. 4. 2
2019. 0. 2. 5. 3. 2
2018. 3. 1. 0. 1. 1

Recruiting classes mean jack when it comes to us. You HAVE to have coaching and we dont.

We are tied with Mizzou and Vandy, but behind the rest on PRODUCING talent. Eff stars, the results speak for themselves.
Your assessment speaks to both raw talent on field AND development. We've really trailed in development.
Not a bad way to analyze.

Reactions: BisonVol and AM64
What we expect and what we end up getting are generally two different things. I'll have zero problem criticizing Josh Heupel and this team when the season starts and we see what we actually get. Until that happens, I expect this staff to be good enough to take their talent and beat less talented teams.

And yes @McDad , Ole Miss is actually a less talented team that overachieved last year based on the offensive scheme they played. Their defense was absolutely horrid, but they put up points. We're expected to run a similar offense. Which is why I say it'll be a shoot out. Good chance the winner will be the team that scores last.

Reactions: AM64
He can be a good coach and not do much his first year. Especially given our circumstances. Why does it have to be all or nothing?
Who made it all or nothing? Is 7-5 all or nothing? I don't see it that way.

I feel sorry for all of you guys that got to miss the suckery of the 70's and 80's and our rise to power in the 90's and early 2000's only to fall back to sucking for 15 years. Football is a sine wave of ups and downs.

The frequency part seems to be the bad thing ... longer between the peaks. I started at UT in Doug Dickey's first year, and the climb from the pits went pretty fast after the first year with little talent. I left, played Army for a while, and returned in time for the Bill Battle years (the most god awful boring football ever conceived by the mind of man). Battle's slide was agonizingly slow followed by mediocre but better Majors years (one good followed by a bad one). The current slump doesn't seem to be getting the message it's supposed to be a sine wave rather than a exponential decay.

What we expect and what we end up getting are generally two different things. I'll have zero problem criticizing Josh Heupel and this team when the season starts and we see what we actually get. Until that happens, I expect this staff to be good enough to take their talent and beat less talented teams.

And yes @McDad , Ole Miss is actually a less talented team that overachieved last year based on the offensive scheme they played. Their defense was absolutely horrid, but they put up points. We're expected to run a similar offense. Which is why I say it'll be a shoot out. Good chance the winner will be the team that scores last.
But bro. This isn't last year. They're a year ahead of us. Have CJH's system on offense.

We are them last year. What was their record? I legit don't know.

Reactions: BisonVol and AM64

I will criticize him as well. But based in reality. Something we call "constructive criticism". Not like the babies in the FF who throw a tantrum our 3-7 team doesnt score a TD against Bama on every drive. Or you who sets unrealistic goals.

Reactions: Y9 Vol and AM64

TN. Vandy. KY. Sc. MU
2020. 2. 2. 2. 4. 2
2019. 0. 2. 5. 3. 2
2018. 3. 1. 0. 1. 1

We have a whole new staff, so how do we know we don't have coaching? If Pruitt were still coach, my expectations would be lower. He's not. We have a new coach. I expect him to succeed. That's why you hire a new coach, you expect him to turn things around. His contract guarantees he'll have a few years to try. Personally, I think we'll be able to tell quite a bit by year one. But it's not like he'll be fired after one year.

All of your assumptions are based off what previous staffs have done, not the current staff. We've yet to see what they can do.

We have a whole new staff, so how do we know we don't have coaching? If Pruitt were still coach, my expectations would be lower. He's not. We have a new coach. I expect him to succeed. That's why you hire a new coach, you expect him to turn things around. His contract guarantees he'll have a few years to try. Personally, I think we'll be able to tell quite a bit by year one. But it's not like he'll be fired after one year.

All of your assumptions are based off what previous staffs have done, not the current staff. We've yet to see what they can do.
But we are talking next year. Not three years down the road. And with pretty barren cupboards. I think we will see improvement, without more than doubling our wins.

Reactions: McDad
But bro. This isn't last year. They're a year ahead of us. Have CJH's system on offense.

We are them last year. What was their record? I legit don't know.
And you're basing what they do this year on what they did last year, year one of Kiffin, with an Ole Miss team that absolutely had less talent than we did. Coaching matters. Do we have good coaches? I certainly hope so.

But we are talking next year. Not three years down the road. And with pretty barren cupboards. I think we will see improvement, without more than doubling our wins.
Are cupboards are not barren. That's a myth created by Vol fans choosing to be miserable.

VN Store

Back