Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

It will be interesting to say the least, and not something I'd bet on. Could be enough excitement that a bunch of kids overachieve. Could be a "proven" coach finding out the big leagues are different. One thing for sure - somebody better find some linebackers before September.

Guy said we knocked it out of the park with White as AD and thought he went with CJH because he couldn't get anyone else.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
I've listed who I think we beat, who I think we lose to, and the games I think are toss ups.

As far as an inability to recruit on Heupel's part, that's why you hire assistants who can. As a HC, all you really need to be able to do is close. And UT still has a lot to sell kids. I don't expect it to happen fast, but if he takes what he has and doesn't underachieve on the field, talents will notice and give UT a look. Getting that talent is what it'll take to get us from middle of the pack back to the top.

We need to forget the last 15 years and move forward, remembering who the hell we are.
The top end is legitimately higher with CJH than has been for anyone else. If the "ifs" pan out, the offensive studs will come.

Oof. I waffle on 6.

2/3 ooc and 2 sec east bottom feeders may not unlikely.
We play 4 OOC games. We should easily win 3 of them. Pitt is the unknown. We should be able to beat Vandy, SCar, KY, and Mizzou. Should, barring major injury. That's 7 wins. Ole Miss and Pitt are toss up games that could go either way. On paper, Florida, Georgia, and Bama should all be losses. I hate to admit defeat before a game is played, but all 3 are understandable losses. Those 3 teams are obviously more talented than we are. So 7-5 should be expected, 9-3 would be overachieving, and anything better would cause me to orgasm.

Reactions: AM64
With my post to Weezer earlier in the thread, I'm starting to think about our upcoming season.

CJH is the best coach (coming in) UT has hired since Johnny Majors. Fulmer and Kiffin are the best going out.
He's an offensive innovator. Has history and experience.

But let's also consider the other side of the coin. We are thin on the roster. We are learning a new system. We have UGA, UF, and Bama on the schedule. Is 6-6 unreasonable?
Dont forget NCAA hammer. We arent good enough for them to look the other way. But big enough name where they love to hammer us

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
We play 4 OOC games. We should easily win 3 of them. Pitt is the unknown. We should be able to beat Vandy, SCar, KY, and Mizzou. Should, barring major injury. That's 7 wins. Ole Miss and Pitt are toss up games that could go either way. On paper, Florida, Georgia, and Bama should all be losses. I hate to admit defeat before a game is played, but all 3 are understandable losses. Those 3 teams are obviously more talented than we are. So 7-5 should be expected, 9-3 would be overachieving, and anything better would cause me to orgasm.
Name a couple of our starters who would get serious playing time at a big time program?

Your kool aid is too orange. A little overzealous imo.

Guy said we knocked it out of the park with White as AD and thought he went with CJH because he couldn't get anyone else.
This part is probably true. Possible NCAA sanctions kept us from a big hire IMO. Heupel was a fallback option, but that doesn't make him a bad coach. His first two seasons at UCF he was 13-1 and 10-3. Yes, he backslid hard in season 3 with a record of 6-4, but that also ignores that was with a lot of COVID opt outs. My understanding is he had multiple projected starters, like as many as 10 possible starters, opt out due to COVID concerns. If true, I haven't confirmed it, then it's understandable why his last UCF season was a struggle.

Name a couple of our starters who would get serious playing time at a big time program?
Name the big time programs that we're playing? Florida, Georgia, and Bama, which I've already conceded as losses. No one else on our schedule fits that definition. Kentucky? Nope. Mizzou? Nope. Vandy? lmao, nope. We only play 3 big time programs this year.

He may suck and we may got took. But he's the best coming in we've hired in 4 decades. Sad.

I don't fault your pessimism. Proven more right than wrong.

There's a lot of enthusiasm apparently; and the way the rules have changed, it's pushed football toward basketball mentality rather than a game of strategy where two armies slug it out on the field. An offensive coach may be the way to go, but this one took over a top ranked team in a lesser conference and saw it go downhill. It's a completely new staff starting some decent players with a completely different scheme; the first game could still be a Ga St type loss because the whole mess of pieces haven't gelled. Whether the new guy is the offensive genius he thinks he is; he's putting a lot of stress on a defense lacking serious depth in most places (for an up tempo offense) and perilously lacking depth in some places. You can win a 99-98 game - gambling you are the last to score, but it's always a lot more sure win if the other guys have 0 on the scoreboard.

The one bright spot could be the running game. If that slows the offense down a bit and pounds out yards rather than gaining big chunks or going three and out, the defense may hold up.

I keep thinking some day I will learn this lesson, but I don't. Last month I was at 3 or 4 wins, now I'm at 5. By August I'll be at 6. After I get in the booze on first Gameday I'll be at 7 wins. As is tradition.

CJH will go out and win his first game, I'll get excited and buy me a "Believe the Hype" shirt. Then by mid season it will be in the trash.

Name the big time programs that we're playing? Florida, Georgia, and Bama, which I've already conceded as losses. No one else on our schedule fits that definition. Kentucky? Nope. Mizzou? Nope. Vandy? lmao, nope. We only play 3 big time programs this year.

Vandy nd Kentucky are toss ups...at best.

This part is probably true. Possible NCAA sanctions kept us from a big hire IMO. Heupel was a fallback option, but that doesn't make him a bad coach. His first two seasons at UCF he was 13-1 and 10-3. Yes, he backslid hard in season 3 with a record of 6-4, but that also ignores that was with a lot of COVID opt outs. My understanding is he had multiple projected starters, like as many as 10 possible starters, opt out due to COVID concerns. If true, I haven't confirmed it, then it's understandable why his last UCF season was a struggle.

I'm hoping CJH does so good Oklahoma fires Riley and comes after him.

Reactions: McDad and AM64

VN Store

Back