Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

If it were only about talent we wouldn’t have lost to either in the last few years. And a lot of our talent went through the portal door.
Not as much as people think. The only concerning position caused by transfers is LB. And we can still work the portal ourselves.

Not sure how Heupel feels about his alma mater after they fired him. But it is his alma mater, so who knows?

Remember the speculation that Bama would come after Pruitt when Satan retired. That one should have been dunked in the BJ trash can.

Reactions: VolStrom
If it were only about talent we wouldn’t have lost to either in the last few years. And a lot of our talent went through the portal door.
And you're right about talent alone, which is why I'm addressing my expectations of this coaching staff. If they're good, then they should be able to take better talent and beat teams of lesser talent. This whole conversation is about expectations. I expect this coaching staff to be good. If we expect them to be bad, what's the point?

Not as much as people think. The only concerning position caused by transfers is LB. And we can still work the portal ourselves.

We better. Our defense is going to be awful. Line positions on both sides are under developed. And still unsure what kind of qb we’re going to get.

More question marks this year than last. A lot of talent that had not been properly developed.

If we expect Josh Heupel to fail as a coach, we never should have hired him. We should expect him to succeed. If he doesn't, then UT has failed yet again.

And you're right about talent alone, which is why I'm addressing my expectations of this coaching staff. If they're good, then they should be able to take better talent and beat teams of lesser talent. This whole conversation is about expectations. I expect this coaching staff to be good. If we expect them to be bad, what's the point?

I hope you are correct. I’ll be happy to own up being wrong. I have low expectations about the staff and the team. Will be happy to be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: AM64
I hope you are correct. I’ll be happy to own up being wrong. I have low expectations about the staff and the team. Will be happy to be pleasantly surprised.
If you keep swinging the bat in baseball eventually you'll hit the ball, we keep swinging the bat, but we're playing football.

If you keep swinging the bat in baseball eventually you'll hit the ball, we keep swinging the bat, but we're playing football.
True, but back when Wade Houston was our basketball coach, I never would have thought our basketball program could be where it is now.

Name the big time programs that we're playing? Florida, Georgia, and Bama, which I've already conceded as losses. No one else on our schedule fits that definition. Kentucky? Nope. Mizzou? Nope. Vandy? lmao, nope. We only play 3 big time programs this year.
If you are expecting to wipe the little guys you must think we have some clear advantage over each?

South carolina has 2 returning all sec, tn 0.
Missouri has 1, tn 0
Kentucky has 1, tn 0
Vandy 0, tn 0.

We are bottom of the bucket. New coach, lost what talent we did have, completely new schemes offense and defense.

Fans wouldnt be so miserable if they had realistic expectations.

Imagine lining up against a school in our position. We would chalk it up as a W.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
Why expect misery? No way to enjoy life.

And eventually we have to hit on a good coach.

I wish we were better, but our current reality is our current reality. I have very low expectations for this team.

I admit bad Tennessee football used to make me miserable in the fall. It no longer does that. Dropping my season tickets helped a lot. Also I started spending more time on the golf course in the fall. Now my 3 putts can make me miserable instead.

I feel sorry for all of you guys that got to miss the suckery of the 70's and 80's and our rise to power in the 90's and early 2000's only to fall back to sucking for 15 years. Football is a sine wave of ups and downs.

Not sure how Heupel feels about his alma mater after they fired him. But it is his alma mater, so who knows?
Stoops knows how to coach. He is putting 3 Oline in the NFL this year at least. A couple other guys too probably. TN with all our recruiting and "talent" will have 2, maybe 3. Their system is rolling and producing.

There's no logic to dispute. We're going on feelings.

In what universe is ole miss a toss up from a logical approach?
Talent. Lack of defense on their part. It'll be a shoot out. Shoot outs are toss ups.

If you are expecting to wipe the little guys you must think we have some clear advantage over each?

South carolina has 2 returning all sec, tn 0.
Missouri has 1, tn 0
Kentucky has 1, tn 0
Vandy 0, tn 0.

We are bottom of the bucket. New coach, lost what talent we did have, completely new schemes offense and defense.

Fans wouldnt be so miserable if they had realistic expectations.

Imagine lining up against a school in our position. We would chalk it up as a W.
Now, go back and look at recruiting classes and the projected talent left on each team. I'm confident it'll show us with an advantage, and if it doesn't, will eat crow. We only play 3 big time programs this year.

Why expect misery? No way to enjoy life.

And eventually we have to hit on a good coach.
You are the one putting your nuts in the vice thinking we are going to have a winning season.

I come wearing a cup. Nut shots dont hurt as bad and it allows me to enjoy what little one can with UT football.

Your shattered nuts insist you keep doubling down on the new coach. Calm your tits for a couple years and see how things go. Far less misery.

Reactions: AM64 and Y9 Vol
Stoops knows how to coach. He is putting 3 Oline in the NFL this year at least. A couple other guys too probably. TN with all our recruiting and "talent" will have 2, maybe 3. Their system is rolling and producing.
So coaching matters? Which is why I expect this staff to be good and coach up the talent we have. This is about expectation. I expect this staff to succeed. Reality will show us if they do. We either made a good hire or another crap hire. I'm not going to expect a crap hire. Just not going to do it.

VN Store

Back