Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Dude is bi-polar on the field. Like I said, I love how he's stepped up and he has freakish athletic talent, but I don't think he's the guy.

I'm like hog and dink; it looks like Milton is what we get this year. Not sure if the coaches thought he'd somehow be what was needed this time, or if they were out of options and the pantry was bare. It's always seemed risky with QBs because they want to play, so you can't have good ones in waiting when they have the option to transfer. That's especially troubling with not having a real backup on the bench when you are one QB away from disaster. The other weird thing is that Nico is sitting in waiting and not getting into games - almost like no one has decided if he's a red shirt or not; but if he's what people think he will be, it's hard to imagine him sticking around five years - especially when Heupel has eyes on more top QBs and the overlapping years dilemma. The portal really screws up the succession planning.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I'm like hog and dink; it looks like Milton is what we get this year. Not sure if the coaches thought he'd somehow be what was needed this time, or if they were out of options and the pantry was bare. It's always seemed risky with QBs because they want to play, so you can't have good ones in waiting when they have the option to transfer. That's especially troubling with not having a real backup on the bench when you are one QB away from disaster. The other weird thing is that Nico is sitting in waiting and not getting into games - almost like no one has decided if he's a red shirt or not; but if he's what people think he will be, it's hard to imagine him sticking around five years - especially when Heupel has eyes on more top QBs and the overlapping years dilemma. The portal really screws up the succession planning.

I hope that The Hype isn't playing the seniority game and I really doubt that he is. If Nico was preforming better in practice than Milton he'd be starting because you're right, he's not staying here 5 years so the idea of preserving his redshirt is ridiculous.

I hope that The Hype isn't playing the seniority game and I really doubt that he is. If Nico was preforming better in practice than Milton he'd be starting because you're right, he's not staying here 5 years so the idea of preserving his redshirt is ridiculous.

That's what I think, too. Just long enough to get drafted and done. That's going to be the way for top QBs and probably NFL caliber players at most other positions. The only thing that might change it is if the NFL gets overstocked and players in some positions see NIL deals as more lucrative than sitting on an NFL bench.

I could also see sticking with Milton as something that would hurt recruiting. No way that Bama didn't come out looking better this last weekend for a recruit sitting on the fence. Also wouldn't hurt knowing you'd be playing for a team favored by officials.

I think the concern is giving Nico playing time going to hurt or help him at this point in his development? it can go either way. he may need to go through the bumps and bruises of being a freshman/first year starter, and come out better for it. Or it could derail his development and break his confidence. worst option is Nico gets hurt playing. impossible for us fans to know.

I think the concern is giving Nico playing time going to hurt or help him at this point in his development? it can go either way. he may need to go through the bumps and bruises of being a freshman/first year starter, and come out better for it. Or it could derail his development and break his confidence. worst option is Nico gets hurt playing. impossible for us fans to know.

There could also be a team chemistry aspect that we the fans have no clue about. There might not be much difference between JM and NI and with JM being a Capitan and well respected team leader the Hype may be leery of upsetting the apple cart without a huge difference in on field results.

Of course he is. He’s loyal and beholding to the programs forerunners to a fault. There is no other explanation for Wright and Sampson to have to give way to Small for 2 series at a time is there? I get that Small has been around and paid his dues and it’s not like he’s unproductive or anything because he performs admirably, but Wright and Sampson are head and shoulders better and have to share far more carries than they should, as soon as either one gets in a rhythm ... out they come. If Nico is truly the player everyone (including the staff) says and thinks he is, then there is zero reason he shouldn’t be playing significant snaps if not starting. I guarantee you that Spurrier and Saban are damn glad they didn’t wait to pull the trigger on benching a Senior for a better talent and they have Natty rings to back up their decisions.

You got another blue chipper in Merklinger committed right now coming in on Nicos heels and other serious QB blue chip recruits lurking and considering TN on top of that. Play and develop the best man regardless of classification.

Of course he is. He’s loyal and beholding to the programs forerunners to a fault. There is no other explanation for Wright and Sampson to have to give way to Small for 2 series at a time is there? I get that Small has been around and paid his dues and it’s not like he’s unproductive or anything because he performs admirably, but Wright and Sampson are head and shoulders better and have to share far more carries than they should, as soon as either one gets in a rhythm ... out they come. If Nico is truly the player everyone (including the staff) says and thinks he is, then there is zero reason he shouldn’t be playing significant snaps if not starting. I guarantee you that Spurrier and Saban are damn glad they didn’t wait to pull the trigger on benching a Senior for a better talent and they have Natty rings to back up their decisions.

I hope you're wrong but fear you are probably more right than wrong.

I hope you're wrong but fear you are probably more right than wrong.

Wished I was wrong too, but I’m not. I mean, do you see any other plausible explanation? I’ve pondered it and can’t see one for miles. TN is trying to recruit nationwide blue chip studs again like we used to do and if we’re going to be a serious contender for them and titles, then we have to show we’re gonna play the best players regardless of classification especially in today’s landscape of transfer portal and NIL. Heuple’s approach baffles me.

Wished I was wrong too, but I’m not. I mean, do you see any other plausible explanation? I’ve pondered it and can’t see one for miles. TN is trying to recruit nationwide blue chip studs again like we used to do and if we’re going to be a serious contender for them and titles, then we have to show we’re gonna play the best players regardless of classification especially in today’s landscape of transfer portal and NIL. Heuple’s approach baffles me.

I guess I should add for clarification purposes though, that I’m not nearly as high and never have been on Heuple as an elite Head Coach as most on here are (and I have plenty of good and factual reasons for that, but that’s a whole other discussion for another day) I’m certain it doesn’t cloud my judgment on this topic though.

GO VOLS!

I guess I should add for clarification purposes though, that I’m not nearly as high and never have been on Heuple as an elite Head Coach as most on here are (and I have plenty of good and factual reasons for that, but that’s a whole other discussion for another day) I’m certain it doesn’t cloud my judgment on this topic though.

GO VOLS!

I haven't been very high on him but after last season he deserves the benefit of the doubt for another season or 2.

I haven't been very high on him but after last season he deserves the benefit of the doubt for another season or 2.

Agreed. He didn’t inherit a very good situation to begin with and he gets a Bama and Florida win in year two, so that buys him at least 2 or 3 more at minimum, but he’s pretty unimpressive in longevity at UCF and here so far. The one thing you have to do to be a solid Head Coach at any level (but especially, very especially in the SEC, is to be able to lead your team to wins on the road) and other than a non-prime time 11am game at LSU last season, he’s spit the bit on the road his whole head coaching career, it doesn’t bode well. I’m pulling for him, he has my support 100%, but he doesn’t have my confidence.

It's always seemed that good coaches have talents that help, but in the end is it that or the environment that makes a great coach? For example, would Saban have been "a great coach" if he was at Arkansas or Vandy? Look at Doug Dickey here vs at FL and Majors at Pitt vs TN.

Hype looked a lot better as a coach last year with different players. That leads to whether he maybe leaned too much on the best of last year over developing the next generation, making himself a coach with up and down years vs one who doesn't have quite the swings but gets better more gradually while stocking the locker room ... if he doesn't get invited to leave first. Then there's that other thing about how does a new coach take the top prospects away from established teams like Bama, GA, OSU, and several others to build a solid team with necessary depth for contingencies and for the long run. The portal has a lot of things for and against - the worst is keeping quality depth from defecting, but at least it helps with the issue of slavery.

Conversation with a procurement guy:

Me: Disagreement with format of RFQ matrix, it doesn't work for the services you are bidding
Him: Explain
Me: I explained
Him: Frustrated - I have a masters degree and have been doing this for 2 years now
Me: I have a PHD and have been doing this for almost 30 years
Him: Oh, I didn't know. It's not in your signature block or business card so sorry. Let me take this to my team and see if we can change the matrix format.

Me: Disagreement with format of RFQ matrix, it doesn't work for the services you are bidding
Him: Frustrated - I have a masters degree and have been doing this for 2 years now
Him: Oh, I didn't know. It's not in your signature block or business card so sorry. Let me take this to my team and see if we can change the matrix format.

I dunno, I probably would have smirked and rolled my eyes at PhD...

🤣

throwing his weight around with 2 years of experience? I am 11 years in to my job and I still would never use my experience as a trump card.

throwing his weight around with 2 years of experience? I am 11 years in to my job and I still would never use my experience as a trump card.

Pretty much same. Been working construction since 1993, same company since 2010 and dont tell folks about it either. I generally do not like humans though in general. Sometimes I really don't specifically like specific people either. Try not to talk to folks if I can help it. Dogs are awesome though. You guys aren't half bad either. Lol. GO VOLS

VN Store

Back