Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I’ve got the dumbs and don’t understand your post. Milton was recruited by The Hype, Hooker was recruited by Pruitt and Milton was named the starter in the Hypes first year until he was injured and Hooker took over. What do I have wrong?
I didn't read your post through a right versus wrong filter. More of a fact versus speculation filter. It is factual Hype recruited Joe...he offered him while at UCF. Joe went to Michigan. It's also factual that Joe's injury led to Hooker's start. I dont know how Hooker found his way to UT. Pruitt might have recruited him. Hooker might have pursued us based on his belief he could get playing time.

Speculation that sans injury Hooker doesn't get a shot at playing in a game.

My understanding is both Milton and Hooker were nothing special at their previous schools and seen as somewhat even in terms of ability.

I didn't read your post through a right versus wrong filter. More of a fact versus speculation filter. It is factual Hype recruited Joe...he offered him while at UCF. Joe went to Michigan. It's also factual that Joe's injury led to Hooker's start. I dont know how Hooker found his way to UT. Pruitt might have recruited him. Hooker might have pursued us based on his belief he could get playing time.

Speculation that sans injury Hooker doesn't get a shot at playing in a game.

My understanding is both Milton and Hooker were nothing special at their previous schools and seen as somewhat even in terms of ability.
Titans probably take Joe in 1st. Honestly I wouldn’t waste 7th. A pure shame with those tangibles.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Titans probably take Joe in 1st. Honestly I wouldn’t waste 7th. A pure shame with those tangibles.

If I were selecting QBs for the NFL, I'd probably just pass on Milton. After six years of college level coaches trying to teach him, it's beginning to look like a lost cause. Example: yesterday the GA QB kinda dinked a pass just over our line that went for a TD - almost looked like a wadded up piece of paper in a trashcan kind of toss; meanwhile Joe was having bullets deflected by linemen ... or even helmets. The raw talent is there, but without instinct or finesse. I'm still amazed at Milton's completion percentage because I's swear he misses more than the hits.

Don't know if it's designed around Joe or what, but the play calling is atrocious - seems like it generally boils down to a run or pass behind the line that's stuffed or a well defended 30 yard incompletion ... that's often overthrown. Hooker and even earlier Dobbs would improvise and have made the defenses more honest and opened up things that were stuffed by GA and MO.

I'm wondering what the returning receivers will look like with a reasonable passer. Nimrod looks like he has potential, and I forget the other freshman that looked passible yesterday. It's going to hurt losing Warren and Castles; they may not be great, but they are pretty dependable it seems. Squirrel must be tough to have survived this year ... definitely a keeper.

How is Tennessee still ranked in both AP and Coaches? We are the only 4 loss team still ranked 🤷‍♂️

23 and 25. Do you realize that excluding Liberty and Tulane, there are five 11-0 and four 10-1 teams; several appear to be artful dodgers when it comes to scheduling and being in conferences without balanced strength - like some conferences have several Vandys or worse. I'm still thinking NIL is making the winners bigger and everybody else chumps. Even with what teams like TN can put together, we're still losing out to GA, Bama, tOSU, etc. The portal obviously has some finds, but it also seems like a way for loaded teams to drop some marginally talented players or deadweight for a bit of real talent and to open up spaces for top level recruits. Both look like they are making the talent imbalance even worse.

Last edited:
23 and 25. Do you realize that excluding Liberty and Tulane, there are five 11-0 and four 10-1 teams; several appear to be artful dodgers when it comes to scheduling and being in conferences without balanced strength - like some conferences have several Vandys or worse. I'm still thinking NIL is making the winners bigger and everybody else chumps. Even with what teams like TN can put together, we're still losing out to GA, Bama, tOSU, etc. The portal obviously has some finds, but it also seems like a way for loaded teams to drop some marginally talented players or deadweight for a bit of real talent and to open up spaces for top level recruits. Both look like they are making the talent imbalance even worse.

This is my biggest worry with NIL and what amounts to free agency. The top teams will extend their leads in terms of talent against everyone else.

This is my biggest worry with NIL and what amounts to free agency. The top teams will extend their leads in terms of talent against everyone else.

The concept of amateurism was already destroyed or on the ropes. You always heard athletes practice so much, they can't work like regular students, etc. True, but then most students don't get scholarships that provide all the room and board benefits that athletic scholarships do or the cost of living stipends that were added later. While I agree that student athletes should be able to benefit if someone else markets and profits from the sales of products using name, image, and likeness, that's not at all what NIL has turned into because the concept was never managed from the start. The NCAA and schools abdicated any control or oversight and the whole thing went completely off the rails. I doubt that many (maybe most) students and parents are in anyway prepared to manage the NIL incomes, and that always leads to bad consequences.

So I’m reading Nico can play in the Vandy game and the bowl and still preserve his redshirt. While I don’t think he’ll be here for five years if he’s as good as claimed I don’t blame Hype for not playing him. Plus why put him in front of that rabid pass rush. Let’s not get our future QB killed.

I had read some stuff that we weren’t going to play him at all to preserve his redshirt which I think would be dumb. But having him get substantial time in Vandy and the bowl while preserving the redshirt at least makes sense from a sensibility standpoint even if he doesn’t wind up needing the redshirt.

So I’m reading Nico can play in the Vandy game and the bowl and still preserve his redshirt. While I don’t think he’ll be here for five years if he’s as good as claimed I don’t blame Hype for not playing him. Plus why put him in front of that rabid pass rush. Let’s not get our future QB killed.

I had read some stuff that we weren’t going to play him at all to preserve his redshirt which I think would be dumb. But having him get substantial time in Vandy and the bowl while preserving the redshirt at least makes sense from a sensibility standpoint even if he doesn’t wind up needing the redshirt.

While FSU should have kept Travis out versus Northern Alabama with so much to play for at season's end, UT can't live in fear. Get the kid reps.

While FSU should have kept Travis out versus Northern Alabama with so much to play for at season's end, UT can't live in fear. Get the kid reps.
I hope Nico sees the majority of reps against Vandy and sees major playing time in the bowl. It’s senior day so you absolutely start Milton and give him the bowl start too.

I thought players could be in parts of up to four games and redshirt - and the bowl game doesn't count, which would mean Nico could play in the Vandy game and be a redshirt. I think that was mentioned in the game yesterday, too. I read today something that sounded like the four game thing is not necessarily a hard and fast rule - shocking that the NCAA or SEC isn't consistent. A new QB is like a new car - no good if you don't use it, and at some point it might get dinged up.

Read the article. We were missing half our starters roughly on both offense AND defense. Negas dont care about facts though...

Offense missing

Both starting tackles on Oline
Best guard Spraggins down bout halftime, best backup interior lineman Karic out too...plus decimated WR corps and Keyton regressing didnt even have a catch. Oh...and even Cooper who is usually the best we have graded out around 50 which is terrible. Probably because he played almost entirely with backups.

Defense

Missing both starting safeties from start of season, our best corner in Hadden, and of course our starting best LB Pili is still gone too. Look at how their backups graded out in the article....Herring and others graded around 30. Thats the lowest I have ever seen UT players do. Turrentine a 3rd string corner graded at 30 and played nearly every snap in the game.

Pretty cool that CJH didn't mention injuries or missing players as the cause for the loss either. All he said after the game was " we are banged up right now, that was a good team we played today." Which him and every other coach on Earth says after they play a decent team. We played with about half our best players saturday. Against a team that is much, much deeper than us anyway since their last 5 recruiting classes were all ranked top 5 with an average of 2nd or 3rd in the country? Their backups are rated higher out of HS than most of our starters. Its only year 3 folks. With the 1st year being extremely hamstrung due to a late coaching search and the resulting class ranked 23rd....much lower than the 2 great classes Coach has put together since.

I am excited for the future as its very bright at UT. We get better classes every year, and will field better teams each year from here on out with Nico at QB and an absolute baller in Jake at QB right behind him. GO VOLS

Wasnt typing all that again with my 2 thumbs, and i know most of yall have enough sense to stay out of the FF after a loss. We were seriously missing about half our starters at the key positions though. Easier for me to take the loss knowing that anyway. Those 30 grades by our defensive backups that were forced into starting roles are some of the worst I have ever seen at UT....ever. Herring was horrible...and Turrentine was horrible while playing the whole game as a 3rd stringer. Ouch. I never thought we could beat em with Joe....but if i knew how many starters were out i would have never even expected anything but a blowout, and would have likely done something else for 3 hours.

Reactions: AM64
I hope Nico sees the majority of reps against Vandy and sees major playing time in the bowl. It’s senior day so you absolutely start Milton and give him the bowl start too.
If I was coach, I would go in the with the game plan of Joe gets the first half, Nico gets the second, for both. Joe gets to go out the starter, thanks for sticking around; but we start letting Nico break things in. even if we are losing and Nico struggles, let him play.

Wasnt typing all that again with my 2 thumbs, and i know most of yall have enough sense to stay out of the FF after a loss. We were seriously missing about half our starters at the key positions though. Easier for me to take the loss knowing that anyway. Those 30 grades by our defensive backups that were forced into starting roles are some of the worst I have ever seen at UT....ever. Herring was horrible...and Turrentine was horrible while playing the whole game as a 3rd stringer. Ouch. I never thought we could beat em with Joe....but if i knew how many starters were out i would have never even expected anything but a blowout, and would have likely done something else for 3 hours.
yeah, I was glad I had a distraction and didn't get to watch much of the game.

VN Store

Back