Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

@Orangeslice13

What's your experience with LVP flooring? Getting close to pulling the trigger on building so we're debating what flooring to go with, we were pretty set on hardwood and looking at some fairly new builds we have seen some (what looks like) really nice LVP floors. A couple I could have sworn were actual hardwood. I've done some research and opinions are all over the place.
Personally…..if it is a rental or commercial space I’d have no problem with LVP or LVT. In my own home I’d go hardwood. I can refinish hardwood many times over. The others are tear up and replace. Patching back in with real wood is also doable where as with the LVP And LVT you can’t get it apart without damaging the connection so while damage is unlikely, if you do take damage it’s a complete replacement.

That’s just my opinion.

@Orangeslice13

What's your experience with LVP flooring? Getting close to pulling the trigger on building so we're debating what flooring to go with, we were pretty set on hardwood and looking at some fairly new builds we have seen some (what looks like) really nice LVP floors. A couple I could have sworn were actual hardwood. I've done some research and opinions are all over the place.

I replaced the carpet in the den several years ago with laminate flooring. Either I had just never heard of LVP or it was not really on the market, but I sure wish I'd known about it then.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
@Orangeslice13

Hardwoods have the benefit of being able to be refinished. LVP can’t. But, if LVP gets damaged or you get tired of it, you can just replace it easily enough. I’ve got both in my house. I love hardwoods, but I had some rooms they just wouldn’t work.

Make sure the flooring you choose “matches” the room - if you have pets in the room, extra durable scratch resistant (and waterproof!) is a must. Don’t put cork backed flooring in a basement that might get wet, etc…

Spending for quality pays, especially if you are putting it down yourself. The big stores will often have an open box and you can see how easily the pieces mesh together. Some of the nicer floors (in my opinion) have texture or satiations in the surface of the floor. Those seem a little more “real” to me; they also hide dirt, pet hair, etc. plus, the texture makes them less slippery if I am walking in socks.

Good luck!

Any folks here spent a lot of time in Colorado? It's our number one state to consider our retirement home base. Wondering if there are any recommendations of towns to check out?

Any folks here spent a lot of time in Colorado? It's our number one state to consider our retirement home base. Wondering if there are any recommendations of towns to check out?

Some beautiful country in Colorado, certainly not my number one state for retirement, but to each his own. I have friends in Colorado Springs that I’ve visited a few times and have always enjoyed it there, it’s a city I could live in.

I only drove through once, but it was beautiful. I'd love to spend a couple of weeks. Seems like i recall you're in Florida? If so, you'd definitely need different clothing 😅.

Reactions: gcbvol

I spent 10 years there from 97-07 in Colorado Springs. I originally thought it might make a good retirement area too, but got too dang expensive.

But if money isn't an issue, I'd suggest one of the towns past the Front Range. I loved the area out near Gunnison though I'll let you know getting near an airport or "civilization" won't be an easy trip.

Avoid Pueblo.

Not a big fan of Denver myself.

I loved the Springs and feel like it's probably the best area to get to the rest of the State.

Reactions: AM64 and gcbvol
I spent 10 years there from 97-07 in Colorado Springs. I originally thought it might make a good retirement area too, but got too dang expensive.

But if money isn't an issue, I'd suggest one of the towns past the Front Range. I loved the area out near Gunnison though I'll let you know getting near an airport or "civilization" won't be an easy trip.

Avoid Pueblo.

I loved the Springs and feel like it's probably the best area to get to the rest of the State.
Excellent, thank you! We want to travel out there and stay a bit in a few places. Want to get a good feel for them. We're not old by any stretch, but now in our mid 50s and don't want a lot of maintenance. Would like a bit of walkability to restaurants, grocery and entertainment, too. I know that's going to be a pricey ask, so we'll see. If we buy again we won't pay 7 figures.

Excellent, thank you! We want to travel out there and stay a bit in a few places. Want to get a good feel for them. We're not old by any stretch, but now in our mid 50s and don't want a lot of maintenance. Would like a bit of walkability to restaurants, grocery and entertainment, too. I know that's going to be a pricey ask, so we'll see. If we buy again we won't pay 7 figures.

That 7 figures might be a deal breaker for what you're looking for.

Check out Colorado Springs, maybe Old Colorado City.

Reactions: AM64 and gcbvol

Hiya!

Lived in Denver for a spell. Visit ColoSprings often. I think living there would be fantastic. I have a good friend there and he says his basement apartment is always open to me so that might be my next stop after freeloading in Austin.

I would look into Littleton. The light rail system provides quick, ample access to all the bigger towns in western Colorado so I would argue to go that route versus being in the larger hubs as far as the walking distance argument.

Reactions: gcbvol
Dillon, Silverthorne, and Frisco are in the mountains past the front range and are great little towns. About an hour outside of Denver. West pleasant View and Golden are right at the front range 25 minutes west of Denver. These to may be more to your liking. I would also check out Carson city and reno Nevada they have mountains around them as well and Nevada is similar in retirement taxes to Tennessee.

Dillon, Silverthorne, and Frisco are in the mountains past the front range and are great little towns. About an hour outside of Denver. West pleasant View and Golden are right at the front range 25 minutes west of Denver. These to may be more to your liking. I would also check out Carson city and reno Nevada they have mountains around them as well and Nevada is similar in retirement taxes to Tennessee.
Thanks! Definitely checking out Nevada, too. Also intrigued with Taos in New Mexico.

Avoid Pueblo.

Is Ouray somewhat close to Gunnison?

VN Store

Back