Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Altitude maybe?

As a military brat, I just tried to make friends and keep a low profile in school. For whatever reason, it seemed like the kids in Denver - at least in the Cherry Creek area - were trouble waiting to happen. I never felt that anywhere else. I was always glad that my dad's school assignment (Armament and Electronics Officer) was fairly short. It was go down a bad path or stand out, so in a way it was attitude, but I still tried to take a middle path. Most of my activity outside school was on base.

The Air Force Academy was at Lowery those days while the campus in Colorado Springs was under construction, so I did leave there determined to go to the AFA. Unfortunately during my application year the AF decided that anyone going to the academy would have to meet pilot qualifications (and I was near sighted), I wound up with a couple of alternate appointments to West Point and Annapolis and went to UT.

@gcbvol

You might check out Glenwood Springs as well. Lot of history, outdoors stuff and the hot springs/spa areas make it nice.

It also has an Amtrak station since you like trains.
Ha! I already had it on the list.

I think you're correct, though, on the cost. The plan is to keep a footprint in FL for a while (rent vs own). If we decide to only keep one place I could be persuaded to spend more if close to perfect. Will need to spend time in a few places.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Sitting in Reno airport. Tahoe vacation is over.

Tahoe is the most beautiful place I've ever visited. Hiked in the mountains and spend a half day at the beach all in the same location. Incredible weather, absolutely perfect. Got to kayak on the lake, too.

We will be coming back.
The first time I visited Lake Tahoe was sometime around summer of 1991 or 1992. That area was going through an extreme drought. Standing at the docks on the south shore of Lake Tahoe, you would have had to walk over a mile out on dry lakebed to reach the water.

We went there again the following summer. They had record snowfall over the winter. Standing at the same docks, the lake was totally full. I couldn't believe it.

Glad you had fun. Tahoe is great!

It was to me. Lots of folks swimming and playing in it, though.
The first wave which splashed over the kayak was a jolt. But after a few more times, it was no big deal.
The crazy thing is how quickly the water evaporates off you.
You should try Phoenix. Get out of the pool in 112 degree weather. You start freezing because the humidity is so low (2% to 8%) that the water super-evaporates off your skin and causes you to be cold.

Ha! I already had it on the list.

I think you're correct, though, on the cost. The plan is to keep a footprint in FL for a while (rent vs own). If we decide to only keep one place I could be persuaded to spend more if close to perfect. Will need to spend time in a few places.

Have you considered Wyoming?

Cheaper than CO, but just as pretty and way less people.

VN Store

Back