Official Jon Gruden Thread 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currie told Adrian Martinez, 4* QB commit, that we would have a coach in place by early signing period. That further leads me to believe we have our guy. Soon.

Reactions: 5 people
Do you know anyone who listens to him regularly who’s under 70?

I get all my coaching search news off the Gruden thread here. If you pay attention, nothing of importance happens outside this thread that isn't reported in minutes. No reason to leave. BTW, thanks to those who supply info and theories. I personally believe some on here have most of it figured out.

Tried listening to the radio shows and they just get on my nerves.

Reactions: 3 people
Something the Beav said is swimming around in my head. He said the stalking horse reference would make more sense at the announcement (again, I don't Twitter so this is second hand or maybe he said it here... I just can't remember). That tells me that ESPN will be making more than 1 announcement at that time.

Reactions: 2 people
I woke up this morning still mad as hell about the reports of Lyle contacting recruits telling them to decommit.

I actually heard some folks on local Knoxville radio defend him in this..... one said "the recruit we know he called is a lower tier recruit and he figured he might get left out when Tennessee hires a new coach, so he was doing him a favor and looking out for his well being"

I just about threw up!:banghead2:

SFD and you 100 percent in the Gruden will be the coach stance? If less than 100 do you think the longer we go without a announcement the lower the percentages drop?

I'm at 90%. I know he wants the job, and I believe that our powers that be want to give it to him. I also know that bad things can happen.

Not yet. I need to think about it. A lot. I'll let you know when I reach a conclusion.

You would have to read the Gruden-ESPN contract before any analysis could be done. Without doing that, it is sll guessing and speculation.

The Grude News, the morning edition. For those just joining us...

OX0yQ.gif

Well, it's the Grude News Post Jones Era Day 1. For those just joining us nursing a hangover, might I suggest equal parts water and Gatorade...or Powerade if you despise all things Gator like a good Vol fan should. Regardless, one should be careful not to move too fast this morning and have a nice healthy breakfast at your local Waffle House.

Looks like the Night Shift was busy putting in some work. We rolled into Gruden 33 last night.

Lots of talk and chatter about the press conference and what happened therein. Apparently the buyout for Jones was decided before the meeting to the tune of $8,257,850 dollars through February 2021. I add this figure because it does give truth to the entire rumor his buyout was renegotiated well in advance of the firing. I honestly don't know if that's standard practice, but it is significant since the figure was quoted as far higher before.

Now, one of the more important aspects of the press conference today was we learned there will not be a search firm used for a coaching search. This has several positive attributes and a very big negative attribute. Positive means he trusts those around him to give him good advice in any search. Another positive means we likely won't be getting candidates that won't be a good fit for UT as those inside the University should be looking out for our best interest.

The negative side of things is the fact that so far, there has been little info coming out of the AD anyway. So, I'd expect that trend to continue. Much to our dismay.

However, allegedly John Currie told a recruit we would have a coach in place by the early-early signing day. Extremely good sign someone is already on the hook.

But it's unusual our normal sources of information have gone dark after the firing. I don't know particularly why, but the normal modes of information just aren't talking at the moment. They very well could be passed out wearing their UT Orange toga in their front yard with empty cans of PBR strewn around them. Don't know.

Except Beaver who tore into a Yahoo "reporter" and did a drive by on Hyams. Something most of us are guilty of doing at some point.

However, we did get a visit from Skeeter who didn't bring good tidings and that means news, not a flock of magpies either. Basically shut down the Grumors with a simple "No" when asked if we were getting Gruden. He continues to believe Frost and Mullen are the main ones in play at the moment. Being Skeeter and the information he's brought in the past, he didn't get the customary "GTFO" to those with bad news. Well, at least not from most. For the new folks, go easy on Skeeter, he's proven himself before and doesn't tend to bring info just for kicks even if it's what we don't want to hear.

However, one of our resident analysts HearForGrumors did his customary breakdown of items and helped break down the "stalking horse" theory to us Neanderthals on the forum. He continues to be an invaluable source of finding the items we might have overlooked otherwise.

We also learned Albert Haynesworth drinks Crown from a red solo cup. And decorates for Christmas way, way, way too early. And he happens to continue to be full on Grude.

In other news today, the Volnation News On Scene Team caught up with a brief interview with Athletic Director John Currie today after the press conference. While originally hesitant to answer questions, he facial expression was extremely telling when asked the question "Did Mister Freak really promise you an honorary Admiral position and the chance to steer the Grude 1 yacht out of the harbor on the initial voyage?" Mister Currie only gave this response:

1za4ts.jpg

Eventually, we'll try to get an extended interview with Mister Currie whenever we can and as soon as the courts allow reporter FacelessArya within a hundred yards of him again.

From the entire Volnation News Team, I'm Grand Vol and I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

(All information herein is specifically parody unless otherwise indicated by real posters or events)

Don’t count on me getting my credentials back anytime soon. Currie heard about the two Ryan lifeguard’s and the incident with the hot tub. 😞

Love your recaps!

Reactions: 2 people
I actually heard some folks on local Knoxville radio defend him in this..... one said "the recruit we know he called is a lower tier recruit and he figured he might get left out when Tennessee hires a new coach, so he was doing him a favor and looking out for his well being"

I just about threw up!:banghead2:

People are such hypocrites.
They still want to burn Kiffin at the stake to this day for doing the same thing. Yet, they defend Lyle?

You would have to read the Gruden-ESPN contract before any analysis could be done. Without doing that, it is sll guessing and speculation.

Do you mean their contract dissolution? I don't think Gruden's employment contract would shed any light.

Since we are talking about it, this is the post from Concep in the previous thread -

There is also a strategy called the stalking horse bid that is used to prevent low value bids on assets that belong to distressed companies, typically companies in bankruptcy. The stalking horse bidder will usually be given some incentives to take the risk of putting a fair market bid on the assets, regardless of if they end up being the high bid or not.

Imagine if Disney was considering putting a poor performing division out on the market for sale. Now imagine that the Ergens have agreed to put the initial bid for ESPN at a fair market value as long as Disney agrees to shed some of ESPNs expenses in the form of expensive headcount.

Of course this is all imagination land ish, but now Gruden is finding himself needing a new gig. The Ergens, through a VC, make a deal with the Grude that says that if UT HC position comes available and offered to him then he will sign.

Reactions: 6 people
Since we are talking about it, this is the post from Concep in the previous thread -

There is also a strategy called the stalking horse bid that is used to prevent low value bids on assets that belong to distressed companies, typically companies in bankruptcy. The stalking horse bidder will usually be given some incentives to take the risk of putting a fair market bid on the assets, regardless of if they end up being the high bid or not.

Imagine if Disney was considering putting a poor performing division out on the market for sale. Now imagine that the Ergens have agreed to put the initial bid for ESPN at a fair market value as long as Disney agrees to shed some of ESPNs expenses in the form of expensive headcount.

Of course this is all imagination land ish, but now Gruden is finding himself needing a new gig. The Ergens, through a VC, make a deal with the Grude that says that if UT HC position comes available and offered to him then he will sign.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 person
I get all my coaching search news off the Gruden thread here. If you pay attention, nothing of importance happens outside this thread that isn't reported in minutes. No reason to leave. BTW, thanks to those who supply info and theories. I personally believe some on here have most of it figured out.

Tried listening to the radio shows and they just get on my nerves.

I as well rarely leave this thread. I keep it loaded on my tablet 24\7 lol

As was talked about last night, ESPN is worth 40 to 50 Billion so I dont think anybody is buying them as a whole from Disney but what about just the MNF rights? They are what, 2 Billion? That could be had by the right person.

Also, on the Stalking Horse theory. Danny Kanell has tweeted twice about an announcement and soon. Somebody mentioned what if there is another anouncement. Chip Kelly works for ESPN also. What if that announcement comes first about Kelly to UF or where ever and then the Gruden announcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back