Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again not mad, but extremely flustrated at this penny pinching approach coupled with a Jimmy Sexton rope a dope coach. Jimmy Sexton is out for himself, thats it not the best for UT. Gruden means an immediate upgrade in talent starting now, more revenue now, why Hart and others can't see this is beyond me. Am I simplifing things to much?? On the other hand if Gruden was playing us and never serious than put the same money up and go after the next top coach, don't drop to second tier.

I still hold out a very small chance of hope that Gruden is still in play. We'll probably never know how it went down. I am extremely doubtful that money or the lack thereof played a part in Gruden not coming here. JMO

Doug Dickey coached the Vols in a Bowl game against Florida after he had been named coach of the gators. Naturally we lost. Never seen that one coming.

But he made up for it by coming home to be a successful AD later in his career, and raising a son to be the backup QB who rescued the season and lead the rout of Miami when Tony Robinson tore up his knee.

So, there's that.

I won't argue about Strong's recruiting.

Show me a quality win from this year please. Even Dooley could coach an inherited Louisville team to 7-6 two years in a row in the big east.

It's not his fault he didn't have anyone on the schedule that you would consider "quality". He did beat WVU last year...same WVU team that hung 70 on clemson in a bowl. That is something dooley couldn't do.

Imo, racist.:nono:

j/k

I know you're joking, but if it is Strong.... Would we be the first major program with a black football coach and bb coach? Would the old people / money be cool with that hire? I think it would be great. Just wondering since I have not seen anyone really talk about it.

He definitely is, but it's not happening. I'd love to be wrong but it's clear anyone posting on this board that had "inside" info on here has proven to be full of it. Strong is an excellent recruiter and has turned Louisville around (I know, I know in the big east). But the fact of the matter is he has won. That's more than we can say for Dooley. His track record is much, much better than Dooley's and to compare the two is absurd.

Well, lets hire Larry Blakeney away from Troy then...or Chris Ault from Nevada or Willie Taggert

I know you're joking, but if it is Strong.... Would we be the first major program with a black football coach and bb coach? Would the old people / money be cool with that hire? I think it would be great. Just wondering since I have not seen anyone really talk about it.

That is along the line of my thoughts on Strong. Most of the old time donors gripe and moan when the players work out pregame to rap music.

I still hold out a very small chance of hope that Gruden is still in play. We'll probably never know how it went down. I am extremely doubtful that money or the lack thereof played a part in Gruden not coming here. JMO

I would'nt mind that surprise either, but like you said, I doubt it. I just see how lacking we are in talent, and we need a darn good recruiting coach and crew.

Well, Strong was my second choice so why am I so depressed? I guess because the list falls hard and fast after Gruden.

I am with you on this.....My thoughts are that hiring Gruden is like BUYING into a brand....I mean you think that guy could not instantly bring revenue into the University? On top of that if he is a winner the sky would be the limit.....thats why you hold NOTHING back and get that guy in here!!

Reactions: 1 person
Why are you comparing him to one of the worst hires in the history of the SEC and UT? I couldn't care less if he has a better track record than Dooley.

The real question is can he recruit and coach on the level of Saban, Richt, Miles, Muschamp, Spurrier, etc... B/c if not, what does it matter that he's an upgrade from Dooley?

Because I've seen some folks compare the possibility of him being hired to Dooley. I'll be sure to get your permission before posting.

Too much Strong up in here, last I checked this house was reserved for...

jon-gruden-fired-by-bucs.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

I have been told Hart don't like women in power positions. Maybe he wants a black FB coach to keep the EEOC happy. We need to make the boosters happy and find a way to get King Gruden.:)

I will be shocked if this hire is middle of the pack money. 3mil plus is a certainty IMO

He makes over 3 now at Louisville I believe. But it is still middle of the pack for sec. Franklin makes over 3 I believe. Obviously Saban and Miles do. Not sure about Spurrier or Richt. I am not saying Strong can't win here. What I am saying is that it will take him longer even if he is successful. I think there is a direct correlation between how much you pay a coach and both how quickly they are successful and the risk that you take that they don't succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back