Olympic Athlete Turns Her Back on the US Flag as Star Spangled Banner Played

Disagree. They are probably taken aback that such a thing could exist.

Sports and politics have always been married.
They're probably more astounded that they're griping about first world problems than they are about being able to do it without being executed by the state.

They're probably more astounded that they're griping about first world problems than they are about being able to do it without being executed by the state.
They have no clue why that athlete did what they did. They are just seeing the protest. And if they did they would probably say well hell if they can protest about that then why can't I protest about some serious shat. Why are they so free? More powerful then any bomb we drop.

They have no clue why that athlete did what they did. They are just seeing the protest. And if they did they would probably say well hell if they can protest about that then why can't I protest about some serious shat. Why are they so free? More powerful then any bomb we drop.
I sincerely doubt any of these athlete protests are inspiring oppressed people to rise up. Don't buy that at all.

Reactions: allvol123
Don’t these double for required stick time for the pilots?
Training missions occur every day.
53 million???
Think of it as recruiting expense. Like NASCAR car sponsorship.
How long does it take to piss away that much for our Presidents to play golf?

Heck yeah. The Greeks had a mandatory truce and it was all about city-state politics.

Oh, and the athletes were naked. I guess if you turned away at the podium, you mooned the crowd.
Fun fact..thats where the term "dingble berries" was coined. Dinglus berrius from old Latin, glochid ichor from ancient Greek.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Heck yeah. The Greeks had a mandatory truce and it was all about city-state politics.

Oh, and the athletes were naked. I guess if you turned away at the podium, you mooned the crowd.
According to wiki, it started more as a religious festival.

Don't turn your back on Zeus!

In the case of female hammer throwers, I'm glad they are now clothed.

Reactions: Orangeburst

You do understand that oppressive governments like China and North Korea censor the internet and tv? They will never see anything that would inspire them for something other than centralized government control

It wouldn't be the cause or them protesting. It would be their ability to do so.
Only they're oppressed, so they know to do so means to be punished. Organized protest, where people band together, is one thing. There is strength in numbers. One person, protesting at a sporting event, over something they probably find meaningless given the conditions they live under, is not as inspiring as you think.

I'm all for organized protest, but I'm still against athletes protesting at sporting events. If you really want to protest, boycott the event. Don't participate and then turn around and make a mockery of what you just did. Our country is far from perfect, Utopia doesn't exist, but if it offends someone that much, why participate in representing it?

Only they're oppressed, so they know to do so means to be punished. Organized protest, where people band together, is one thing. There is strength in numbers. One person, protesting at a sporting event, over something they probably find meaningless given the conditions they live under, is not as inspiring as you think.

I'm all for organized protest, but I'm still against athletes protesting at sporting events. If you really want to protest, boycott the event. Don't participate and then turn around and make a mockery of what you just did. Our country is far from perfect, Utopia doesn't exist, but if it offends someone that much, why participate in representing it?
Believe it or not, an athlete can want to make money, compete, be a proud American, and be unhappy with America all at the same time.
😲🤯🤯🤯

Wait... so other people in other countries might want the same freedom of expression as we have (for the moment) here in the US? You mean this might influence other people to want the same rights?
You don't think they want them already?

And? I'm not the DoD, Ras. Sure the flyovers are cool, but I could live without them. I watch sports to see sports, not to see athletes making political statements on other people's time.
meh. they do training with those a lot of times.

I've come around on pro athletes protesting during the anthem before league games. I may not agree with their message, but they have a right to express themselves in that manner if their employer permits it.

However, unlike with pro sports, in the Olympics you aren't representing a franchise and a league, you're representing only your country. If one feels so much disdain for their home country that they can't even bear to look at the nation's flag while the anthem is being played, why represent that nation in the Olympics? Boycott it.

I've come around on pro athletes protesting during the anthem before league games. I may not agree with their message, but they have a right to express themselves in that manner if their employer permits it.

However, unlike with pro sports, in the Olympics you aren't representing a franchise and a league, you're representing only your country. If one feels so much disdain for their home country that they can't even bear to look at the nation's flag while the anthem is being played, why represent that nation in the Olympics? Boycott it.
This is a well reasoned and rational response right here.

VN Store

Back