Oregon game - Who's coming to the game?

If that is the case, don't forget the North Fork of the Flathead, located on the western boundary of Glacier National Park. All of the streams emanating from Yellowstone (e.g. Gallatin, Madison, Firehole, Yellowstone) are, of course, legendary among fly fishermen. Areas in Colorado that you will particularly enjoy are the majestic San Juans (Ouray-Durango-Ridgway area) and the Maroon Bells, near Aspen. If you make it to Durango, take a step back in time aboard the Durango & Silverton Railroad (Home | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train); it is one of the last operational narrow-gauge railroads in the country and has been featured in countless western movies. You might also like to try your hand in some of the streams in extreme eastern Idaho, near Tetonia and Driggs, on the quiet western side of the Tetons.

LOL, yea I like Durango, the Southern Ute Tribe was a client of mine I use to stay in the old hotel near the railroad station. The General Palmer I think. I thought about retiring in that area, but it's a bit cold for my tastes. I've fished the Middle Fork of the Salmon out of Stanley ID. Never fished the Montana rivers, so yea those are on the list. I've done some pretty nice fishing up in BC as well.

I'm sort of interested in the North Platte in CO understand it's "under fished" and has very nice natives.

Of course I keep reminding myself, the boat ramp is a quarter mile from my house. And the stretch is too short for the guides to sell it as a "day trip" so pretty much only locals fish it. I consistently get 14" native rainbows out of it. Last summer my wife got a 18" native and my neighbor got a 24" native rainbow. So "HOME" is good too.... :)

If that is the case, don't forget the North Fork of the Flathead, located on the western boundary of Glacier National Park. All of the streams emanating from Yellowstone (e.g. Gallatin, Madison, Firehole, Yellowstone) are, of course, legendary among fly fishermen. Areas in Colorado that you will particularly enjoy are the majestic San Juans (Ouray-Durango-Ridgway area) and the Maroon Bells, near Aspen. If you make it to Durango, take a step back in time aboard the Durango & Silverton Railroad (Home | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train); it is one of the last operational narrow-gauge railroads in the country and has been featured in countless western movies. You might also like to try your hand in some of the streams in extreme eastern Idaho, near Tetonia and Driggs, on the quiet western side of the Tetons.

I've heard a bit about the Flathead, I'll add it to the list.

LOL, yea I like Durango, the Southern Ute Tribe was a client of mine I use to stay in the old hotel near the railroad station. The General Palmer I think. I thought about retiring in that area, but it's a bit cold for my tastes. I've fished the Middle Fork of the Salmon out of Stanley ID. Never fished the Montana rivers, so yea those are on the list. I've done some pretty nice fishing up in BC as well.

I'm sort of interested in the North Platte in CO understand it's "under fished" and has very nice natives.

Of course I keep reminding myself, the boat ramp is a quarter mile from my house. And the stretch is too short for the guides to sell it as a "day trip" so pretty much only locals fish it. I consistently get 14" native rainbows out of it. Last summer my wife got a 18" native and my neighbor got a 24" native rainbow. So "HOME" is good too.... :)

If you've never fished Montana waters, then you might also want to give consideration to streams emanating from the spectacular Beartooth Mountains, such as the Boulder River. Although it is a bit farther west, Ennis, Montana, which is located right on the Madison River, markets itself as the "Fly Fishing Capital of the World" (see, for example, Madison River Fly Fishing Guide | Fly Fishing the Madison River). If you've never been to Glacier, you owe it to yourself to take some time to truly savor the park. You will find some of the most jawdroppingly gorgeous country in the lower 48, particularly in the Many Glacier valley. On the whole, the eastern side of the park is more impressive. For best accommodations in the area, see Glacier Park Inc. and, in adjoining Waterton Lakes NP, Glacier Park Inc.: Prince of Wales Hotel.

With respect to Wyoming, you are undoubtedly aware of the Snake River's potential, but, if you want less human competition, head for the Wind River Range, which is high, wild, and rugged. The following two sites would both make superb base camps and should provide an excellent glimpse of the majestic country you would be visiting:
Big Sandy Lodge, Wyoming, Wind River Mountain Resort and Green River Lakes Campground and trails, Wyoming.

Last edited:
I wish I could go but I'm a poor college student.. I wish UT would have some package deal for students. Seeing a game at Oregon is on my bucket list.

If you've never fished Montana waters, then you might also want to give consideration to streams emanating from the spectacular Beartooth Mountains, such as the Boulder River. Although it is a bit farther west, Ennis, Montana, which is located right on the Madison River, markets itself as the "Fly Fishing Capital of the World" (see, for example, Madison River Fly Fishing Guide | Fly Fishing the Madison River). If you've never been to Glacier, you owe it to yourself to take some time to truly savor the park. You will find some of the most jawdroppingly gorgeous country in the lower 48, particularly in the Many Glacier valley. On the whole, the eastern side of the park is more impressive. For best accommodations in the area, see Glacier Park Inc. and, in adjoining Waterton Lakes NP, Glacier Park Inc.: Prince of Wales Hotel.

With respect to Wyoming, you are undoubtedly aware of the Snake River's potential, but, if you want less human competition, head for the Wind River Range, which is high, wild, and rugged. The following two sites would both make superb base camps and should provide an excellent glimpse of the majestic country you would be visiting:
Big Sandy Lodge, Wyoming, Wind River Mountain Resort and Green River Lakes Campground and trails, Wyoming.

Thank you very much, this info is great!! It's going in my travel file.

Husband and I will be making the trip to Oregon from Charlotte. We have heard that part of the country is beautiful and are looking forward to it. Met some cool Oregon fans when they came to K-town. Hope to see a great game.
Lol. Deleted

I've said it before, if you like the outdoors and nature you should enjoy Oregon. When flying into Portland you typically have a view of Mt St. Helen's on the right and Mt Hood on the left. St. Helen blew 3000 feet off the top in 1980 and is still around 10000 feet high. Mt. Hood is majestic in it's beauty at over 11000.

If you feel the need to go to the coast, about an hour drive West of Eugene, you'll find a very rugged beach with mountains coming right down to the water and sand dunes that support a big "four wheeling" sport. I believe some of the dunes are around 1000 high. Then you've got the gin clear McKenzie River, good for a day trip of rafting or fishing. Of course if you're a runner, Eugene is Mecca. King Estate Winery is just west of Eugene as are a number of other wineries, so plenty of tasting rooms. Also near Portland you'll have more wineries than you can visit in a month. And if beer is your passion, you'll find many many very good micro brews.

As for food crab and salmon are very local, fresh and good. Now if you find fresh Stugeon in a good restaurant. Go for it. And if you are into catching big fish you might want to check out sturgeon fishing in the Columbia. Some have run up around 15 to 18 feet long. The limit is that if its under 4 feet or over 8 feet long you have to release them. If you like fish with a ton of fight, check out Steelhead and Salmon fishing. Nice ones run in the 15 to 20 pound range. A 5 pounder will give you plenty of fight.

Last edited:
I grew up in Knoxville and my blood runs rabid Orange. But I moved out to Eugene in 1994, the year they began their national ascent by winning the Pac-10 and going to the Rose Bowl (January 1995). I remember bragging to my local friends something to the effect: "You guys won't know anything about college football until you experience a game at Neyland Stadium or somewhere else in SEC country for that matter." I so longed for the day when Tennessee would play them and show them a thing or two. Needless to say, I never expected that my beloved Vols would have fallen on such hard times when that day finally came.

Autzen stadium was not that impressive at the time, but today it is one of the most exciting and intimidating venues in all of college football (though still nothing compared to Neyland Stadium [or the Swamp, Bryant-Denny, Between the Hedges,etc). I pull for Oregon whenever they play a non-SEC school. And even though we are not yet back up to the level we need to be, I'm very excited about where we are headed under Butch Jones.

If ever the time and circumstances were going to be just right for a big upset, it will be in Eugene, OR. in September when the Vols come to town. I can tell you these Ducks won't be expecting any fight considering what happened last time in Knoxville. But I believe we have some pieces and I believe Butch Jones is a great motivator, and though I don't realistically expect a win, I'm hoping against hope for the best. I want to hear Rocky Top ringing around this joint. GO VOLS!!!

Eugene is beautiful place with plenty of good restaurants and many things to do besides the game so I highly recommend making the trip out if you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I was an AGE mechanic. Spent my time in Germany, Spain and Libya.

Also played bball and got to go on TDY to play in tourneys, put on clinics for german teams etc.

I'm a Command Post controller. I get to hang out with MX a lot because MOC is here with us.

Sadly I'll miss both the Oregon and Florida games(I'll see if I can watch a little on tv). I'll be with My Brother and His kids at Walt Disney World for over a week(September 13-21)

Would love to go. Heard Oregon is gorgeous. But too much loot to get there, and it's during a heavy work schedule.
Plus, we're gonna get reemed. Wish we played y'all three years from now - may or may not have been a different outcome.

I've said it before, if you like the outdoors and nature you should enjoy Oregon. When flying into Portland you typically have a view of Mt St. Helen's on the right and Mt Hood on the left. St. Helen blew 3000 feet off the top in 1980 and is still around 10000 feet high. Mt. Hood is majestic in it's beauty at over 11000.

If you feel the need to go to the coast, about an hour drive West of Eugene, you'll find a very rugged beach with mountains coming right down to the water and sand dunes that support a big "four wheeling" sport. I believe some of the dunes are around 1000 high. Then you've got the gin clear McKenzie River, good for a day trip of rafting or fishing. Of course if you're a runner, Eugene is Mecca. King Estate Winery is just west of Eugene as are a number of other wineries, so plenty of tasting rooms. Also near Portland you'll have more wineries than you can visit in a month. And if beer is your passion, you'll find many many very good micro brews.

As for food crab and salmon are very local, fresh and good. Now if you find fresh Stugeon in a good restaurant. Go for it. And if you are into catching big fish you might want to check out sturgeon fishing in the Columbia. Some have run up around 15 to 18 feet long. The limit is that if its under 4 feet or over 8 feet long you have to release them. If you like fish with a ton of fight, check out Steelhead and Salmon fishing. Nice ones run in the 15 to 20 pound range. A 5 pounder will give you plenty of fight.

:) Sounds like God's 2nd best place to be. The Great Smokey Mtns & Neyland Stadium is the 1st place for God's country.:thumbsup:

I'm debating taking a couple weeks vacation and driving out. How much is gas out west? It's $3.25-3.50 here for 87 octane.

Gas in Eugene is running around $3.50 to 3.80 the last 6 months or so. Costco typically has the best deal in Eugene for gas. Save yourself a bunch by going to Costco.

VN Store

Back