Oregon game - Who's coming to the game?

th
th

There is no place like home!!!!!!!!!

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE... :rock:

As you stated, sturgeon can grow to astronomical lengths for freshwater fish, but how much do these big boys typically weigh?

As you stated, sturgeon can grow to astronomical lengths for freshwater fish, but how much do these big boys typically weigh?

A 12 footer is probably around a 1,000 pounds. You're allowed to keep sturgeon between 4 & 8 feet. Those will range around 35 to 250 pounds.

I had no idea that they were that massive. According to this data (Sturgeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), some species can dwarf most sharks in length and weight:

"Sturgeons have been referred to as both the Leviathans and Methuselahs of freshwater fish. They are among the largest fish: some beluga (Huso huso) in the Caspian Sea reportedly attain over 5.5 m (18 ft) and 2000 kg (4400 lbs.) while for kaluga (H. dauricus) in the Amur River, similar lengths and over 1000 kg (2200 lb) weights have been reported. They are also probably the longest-lived of the fishes, some living well over 100 years and attaining sexual maturity at 20 years or more."

So, how do most fishermen in your area go after them? Do they use the kind of gear you see on deep-sea sports fishing boats?

I had no idea that they were that massive. According to this data (Sturgeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), some species can dwarf most sharks in length and weight:

"Sturgeons have been referred to as both the Leviathans and Methuselahs of freshwater fish. They are among the largest fish: some beluga (Huso huso) in the Caspian Sea reportedly attain over 5.5 m (18 ft) and 2000 kg (4400 lbs.) while for kaluga (H. dauricus) in the Amur River, similar lengths and over 1000 kg (2200 lb) weights have been reported. They are also probably the longest-lived of the fishes, some living well over 100 years and attaining sexual maturity at 20 years or more."

So, how do most fishermen in your area go after them? Do they use the kind of gear you see on deep-sea sports fishing boats?

I really enjoy their caviar!

All you fans planning this seemingly fun and memorable trip should call up Tony Bassilio's show...I like the guy but his campaign to buy out the Oregon game because it's fait accompli that our team is going to be humiliated...my take is even if we lose 70-0 it's akin to buying out the UNC game under Dooley...big mistake that marked that tenure for failure...stand up play and be counted Vols!...your fans won't fly away...like ducks
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Or by flying

Personally I'd fly, driving, it's about 2500 miles from Knoxville to Eugene. Google Maps has it at about a 40 hour drive. Team driving and doing 20 hours a day gets you there with two days of hard driving. Then not being exhausted for game time would be a challenge. Not my idea of fun.

Gas at $3.50 a gallon and averaging 20 mpg would cost about $440 one way. Total $880.

Flying probably costs around $500 or $600 round trip

Personally I'd fly, driving, it's about 2500 miles from Knoxville to Eugene. Google Maps has it at about a 40 hour drive. Team driving and doing 20 hours a day gets you there with two days of hard driving. Then not being exhausted for game time would be a challenge. Not my idea of fun.

Gas at $3.50 a gallon and averaging 20 mpg would cost about $440 one way. Total $880.

Flying probably costs around $500 or $600 round trip

Good points. I'm debating both ways. Would it be better to fly into Portland?

rkw38, you had previously stated that you were "debating taking a couple weeks vacation and driving out." Depending on just how much you enjoy traveling and how much you have previously seen of the American West, there is a lot of gorgeous country in the Cascades and Northern Rockies that could be packed into a two-week crosscountry loop trip, one that would, of course, feature the Tennessee-Oregon game. Spectacular portions of Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and Oregon could be included. The hard and boring part would be the first and last days of getting from Tennessee across the Great Plains and that really does call for tagtime, almost nonstop driving. For example, getting from Nashville to Rapid City, South Dakota, which is on the verge of the Black Hills, was an almost 24-hour, 1200 mile drive.

I’ve posted most of this information in a previous post to our Oregon host, but, should this notion appeal to you, here are some areas to which serious consideration should be given:

1. Crater Lake National Park, Oregon. Formed by the caldera of an extinct volcano, Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the United States (nearly 2,000 feet) and its waters are the most extraordinary shade of blue I have ever seen. For information on this destination, and it is a small national park, incidentally, see the following sites:

Crater Lake National Park - Crater Lake National Park - Crater Lake National Park. Crater Lake National Park - Crater Lake National Park

Hotels and Lodging Near and Around Crater Lake Crater Lake National Park | US Park Lodging (talk about a room with a view).

2. Wyoming. Travelling toward Oregon, you will already be on a trajectory that will bring you in reasonable proximity to Yellowstone and the Tetons. The lesser known Wind River range, located slightly to the southeast of Jackson, are high, wild, and rugged. Here are a links to websites for a couple of secluded accommodations in that area which provide an excellent glimpse of the majestic country you would be visiting: Big Sandy Lodge, Wyoming, Wind River Mountain Resort and Green River Lakes Campground and trails, Wyoming.

3. Montana. If you enjoy fly fishing, you might want to give consideration to streams emanating from both Yellowstone and the spectacular Beartooth Mountains, such as the Boulder River. Although it is a bit farther west, Ennis, Montana, which is located right on the Madison River, markets itself as the "Fly Fishing Capital of the World" (see, for example, Madison River Fly Fishing Guide | Fly Fishing the Madison River). It is probably too far north to incorporate in a two week trip and truly do justice to the park, but, if you've never been to Glacier NP, you owe it to yourself to take some time to truly savor the area. You will find some of the most jawdroppingly gorgeous country in the lower 48, particularly in the Many Glacier valley. On the whole, the eastern side of the park is more impressive. For best accommodations in the area, see Glacier Park Inc. and, in adjoining Waterton Lakes NP, Glacier Park Inc.: Prince of Wales Hotel.

4. Idaho. The Sawtooth Mountains, near Stanley, can be considered as a lower altitude version of the Tetons, just as magnificent but far less heavily visited. See Sawtooth Camera: Live webcam from Stanley, Idaho. Views of the Sawtooth Mountain Range..

Needless to say, you will have to be selective to come up with an itinerary that will not exhaust you, but a two-week trip of this kind can be far more rewarding than simply flying into Portland, catching the game and seeing a small portion of Oregon.

Last edited:
rkw38, you had previously stated that you were "debating taking a couple weeks vacation and driving out." Depending on just how much you enjoy traveling and how much you have previously seen of the American West, there is a lot of gorgeous country in the Cascades and Northern Rockies that could be packed into a two-week crosscountry loop trip, one that would, of course, feature the Tennessee-Oregon game. Spectacular portions of Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and Oregon could be included. The hard and boring part would be the first and last days of getting from Tennessee across the Great Plains and that really does call for tagtime, almost nonstop driving. For example, getting from Nashville to Rapid City, South Dakota, which is on the verge of the Black Hills, was an almost 24-hour, 1200 mile drive.

I’ve posted most of this information in a previous post to our Oregon host, but, should this notion appeal to you, here are some areas to which serious consideration should be given:

1. Crater Lake National Park, Oregon. Formed by the caldera of an extinct volcano, Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the United States (nearly 2,000 feet) and its waters are the most extraordinary shade of blue I have ever seen. For information on this destination, and it is a small national park, incidentally, see the following sites:

Crater Lake National Park - Crater Lake National Park - Crater Lake National Park. Crater Lake National Park - Crater Lake National Park

Hotels and Lodging Near and Around Crater Lake Crater Lake National Park | US Park Lodging (talk about a room with a view).

2. Wyoming. Travelling toward Oregon, you will already be on a trajectory that will bring you in reasonable proximity to Yellowstone and the Tetons. The lesser known Wind River range, located slightly to the southeast of Jackson, are high, wild, and rugged. Here are a links to websites for a couple of secluded accommodations in that area which provide an excellent glimpse of the majestic country you would be visiting: Big Sandy Lodge, Wyoming, Wind River Mountain Resort and Green River Lakes Campground and trails, Wyoming.

3. Montana. If you enjoy fly fishing, you might want to give consideration to streams emanating from both Yellowstone and the spectacular Beartooth Mountains, such as the Boulder River. Although it is a bit farther west, Ennis, Montana, which is located right on the Madison River, markets itself as the "Fly Fishing Capital of the World" (see, for example, Madison River Fly Fishing Guide | Fly Fishing the Madison River). It is probably too far north to incorporate in a two week trip and truly do justice to the park, but, if you've never been to Glacier NP, you owe it to yourself to take some time to truly savor the area. You will find some of the most jawdroppingly gorgeous country in the lower 48, particularly in the Many Glacier valley. On the whole, the eastern side of the park is more impressive. For best accommodations in the area, see Glacier Park Inc. and, in adjoining Waterton Lakes NP, Glacier Park Inc.: Prince of Wales Hotel.

4. Idaho. The Sawtooth Mountains, near Stanley, can be considered as a lower altitude version of the Tetons, just as magnificent but far less heavily visited. See Sawtooth Camera: Live webcam from Stanley, Idaho. Views of the Sawtooth Mountain Range..

Needless to say, you will have to be selective to come up with an itinerary that will not exhaust you, but a two-week trip of this kind can be far more rewarding than simply flying into Portland, catching the game and seeing a small portion of Oregon.

These are the reasons I'm thinking of driving.

In that case, you are, to quote Jeremiah Johnson, exercising sound wisdom. One other point to consider is fall foliage. Although timing is always difficult to predict with precision, the Northern Rockies will begin to turn during the second half of September. The more you can nudge the timing of your trip toward the latter half of the month, the better your chances of catching fall color near its peak. Here are a couple of photographic shots to whet your appetite in that respect: (1) Framed Prints Grand Teton National Park by James Kay, Oxbow Bend, Photos (2) Sneffels Range Autumn : San Juan Mountains, Colorado : Mountain Photography by Jack Brauer.

I have travelled extensively throughout the Rockies, so feel free to ask any questions which you may have about the area, should you choose to drive. Late September is an absolutely magical time to be in Wyoming or Montana; the elk are bugling in the canyons, the aspen are beginning to assume their trademark cloaks of gold, the weather is crisp and cool and most of the visitors are gone for the summer season.

P.S. With respect to Wyoming, do not forget the Snowy Range, also known as the Medicine Bow Mtns., in the southeastern part of the state. For a superb scenic drive in the area, one that is quite good for fall foliage, see Saratoga Wyoming Scenic Fall Trip.

Last edited:
You might also ask our Oregon host his opinion of the Wallowa Mountains in northeastern Oregon, an area that includes the Eagle Cap Wilderness Area and was old Nez Perce country. If you have an interest in history, portions of the Nez Perce National Historical Park are sprinkled throughout western Idaho.

I will be there. Flying into Eugene. Staying at Hilton. Looking forward to the trip.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Good points. I'm debating both ways. Would it be better to fly into Portland?

I'd say fly into Eugene or Portland, which ever is cheapest. Eugene is a nice little regional airport, Portland is a very nice mid-sized airport. Portland is about 2 hours from Eugene. So which ever you prefer will work well.

You might also ask our Oregon host his opinion of the Wallowa Mountains in northeastern Oregon, an area that includes the Eagle Cap Wilderness Area and was old Nez Perce country. If you have an interest in history, portions of the Nez Perce National Historical Park are sprinkled throughout western Idaho.

We're not suppose to share knowledge of the Willowa's with outsiders........ :) Seriously, it's a very beautiful area, and yes, the Nez Perce and Chief Joseph. Also it's an area with a number of sculptures who specialized in metal castings etc. Some good flyfishing in that area also.

Even many Oregonians don't get over there very often.

Reactions: 1 person

I don't personally fish for them, my son-in-law goes out after them every year. I'm not sure what the gear requirements are, but I'd assume it's some heavy spinning rigs. These are basically bottom feeders.

As for me give me a fly rod and some native rainbow trout or steelhead. Steelhead will fight a great fight and tail dance across a river, nothing but PURE fight!! Explosive, will run away from you and take you into your backing. Hooking one certainly doesn't mean you're going to land one. Just means you got him mad.

Oregon Steelhead Fishing Guide - Casey Malepsy's Oregon Fishing Guide Service

For those living near Atlanta, Southwest just published a rate from Atlanta to Portland for $234.00 pp round trip. Leaving on Wednesday night and returning on Monday.

I spoke on the phone with an Oregon fan today at my job. Talked a little about the game. Extremely nice guy. I've been hearing a lot that their fans have a lot of class. Not like these Gators/Bama douchers we have to deal with here.

I am going to the game, traveling with the alumni we are staying at the Valley River inn in Eugene. I cannot wait for Football Time in Tennessee!

For those living near Atlanta, Southwest just published a rate from Atlanta to Portland for $234.00 pp round trip. Leaving on Wednesday night and returning on Monday.

We're flying Southwest from STL to PDX. They really lowered their prices in the last couple weeks going out of multiple places.

VN Store

Back