Our chances at Oregon.....

You've got to love our Vol fans, we've won exactly 2 SEC games in 2 years, yet predicting victory over Oregon. We have the smartest fans in all of college football.
Go Vols

I'm not sure I've seen too many predictions. I have seen some fans say we have a chance to win.

No flame Bob.. some numbers though

in those 4 recruiting classes, 28 signees are no longer around.

For Oregon 15 signees are no longer around..

So those classes are not equal.

Also, I would have to look at Oregon and research their results but there are several of the Tennessee signees that have not played close to their high school rankings, like Miller, Neal, Smith, Lane, Palardy as examples

IDK what you are talking about with Neal and Lane, they have done ok, considering sharing a offense with Hunter, Bray, CP, Da'rick and an OC that loved to pass the ball on 3rd and 2.

Another place where UT could really turn this game is WR. They're young and lack experience but UT has 4 guys with very good athleticism/speed over 6'3" that will see PT vs Oregon. Croom and North have the potential to become a match up nightmare mirroring each other on the outside this fall.

But again with the inexperience, we really don't know if we have anything at the WR position or not. When the lights come on... will that talent actually turn into production?

More absolute nonsense. This is the biggest mismatch in a game of mismatches in their favor.

You've got to love our Vol fans, we've won exactly 2 SEC games in 2 years, yet predicting victory over Oregon. We have the smartest fans in all of college football.
Go Vols

Some say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

I've seen those numbers quoted for Neal, but I just haven't seen it in-game. Maybe he just doesn't carry his pads as well but I've never seen him do anything approaching this:
De'Anthony Thomas Highlights 2012 Season - YouTube

(apologies in advance for terrible music - skip ahead 55 seconds to get to actual highlights)

Neal was on his way to 1000 yds on a passing team last year before getting injured... and that is with a HC and OC who never required their star WR's to block. Neal has been roundly criticized for trying to bounce runs outside and not making it. But those plays were often blown up by guys that either Hunter or Patterson were supposed to have blocked or because their man was able to keep the play flat.

As great as they were as receivers, Patterson was horrible at blocking and put no real effort into it. Hunter was mediocre as a blocker and put little effort in it as well. ZR was the only one of the big 3 WR's who blocked also.

Go Vols

Can you go even one day without being "this"?

We all pretty much agree that Dooley was a poor HC and Sunseri was an absolute disaster as a HC. Many of us but apparently not you are becoming more impressed with Jones' staff every day. They have talent to work with. They have holes to fill but sufficient talent everywhere except for CB.

We had basically this same kind of August in 2006. We had Vol fans and Cal fans predicting a big Bear blowout. They were supposedly so much faster, so much deeper, so much better in every respect that UT would be lucky to stay on the field for a quarter. I believe the expert predictions were a 2 to 4 TD win for Cal. Questions abounded for a Vol team with talent but some holes, unproven players, and upperclassmen who had not proved their mettle.

You can feel free to search those threads. My screen name hasn't changed and I don't run from it when something I say ends up being wrong anyway. I predicted that UT was more likely to win AND more likely to win by a significant margin.

If you will remember... UT spanked Cal.

I am not predicting that for the Oregon... only that these teams match up better than most seem to think. A win is not the remote possibility that you and others make it out to be.

Reactions: 3 people
IDK what you are talking about with Neal and Lane, they have done ok, considering sharing a offense with Hunter, Bray, CP, Da'rick and an OC that loved to pass the ball on 3rd and 2.

Not to mention an OC and HC that did not require their star WR's to be effective blockers too. CP was absolutely the worst blocking WR I have ever seen... and didn't put much effort into it to boot. Hunter played all season protecting his draft status and had no intention of having a player roll up the back of his leg while run blocking.

Neal appeared to be on his way to 1000 yards regardless before hurting his ankle. He and Lane still combined for over 1300 yds in a passing O.

Reactions: 1 person
More absolute nonsense. This is the biggest mismatch in a game of mismatches in their favor.

You know... your de facto statements of protest are not proof of anything... they are not an argument... They are in fact nothing at all but a f@rt in the wind... they stink briefly and no one but you feels any better about things when they come out.

You might also try a reading comprehension course. All I said is if the talent UT has turns into production then it could be the factor that turns the day in a way no one currently expects. UT has some big WR's who can catch and run. Oregon will have CB's that are 6' and under and not very big.

Last edited:
It ain't the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog! I believe , especially our D will be playing with pure attitude this year. They hear the negative talk and I believe they are coming with something to prove. This post doesn't have any facts or stats in it im just saying you can't take away the human factor. Weather we win or lose Oregon won't walk all over us. They will know they were in a fight. And if they drop there guard for a minute they will lose. This IS a winnable game!!!:machgun: :gun:

I have a mental picture of George C Scott standing in front of a giant flag standing behind you as you typed this..

Last edited:
Can you go even one day without being "this"?

We all pretty much agree that Dooley was a poor HC and Sunseri was an absolute disaster as a HC. Many of us but apparently not you are becoming more impressed with Jones' staff every day. They have talent to work with. They have holes to fill but sufficient talent everywhere except for CB.

We had basically this same kind of August in 2006. We had Vol fans and Cal fans predicting a big Bear blowout. They were supposedly so much faster, so much deeper, so much better in every respect that UT would be lucky to stay on the field for a quarter. I believe the expert predictions were a 2 to 4 TD win for Cal. Questions abounded for a Vol team with talent but some holes, unproven players, and upperclassmen who had not proved their mettle.

You can feel free to search those threads. My screen name hasn't changed and I don't run from it when something I say ends up being wrong anyway. I predicted that UT was more likely to win AND more likely to win by a significant margin.

If you will remember... UT spanked Cal.

I am not predicting that for the Oregon... only that these teams match up better than most seem to think. A win is not the remote possibility that you and others make it out to be.

that was my first tennessee game... i was 16 and it was ****ing awesome. and i agree if our OL/DL play to their potential this game will be much closer than the experts think as that senile old man on gameday would say

You know... your de facto statements of protest are not proof of anything... they are not an argument... They are in fact nothing at all but a f@rt in the wind... they stink briefly and no one but you feels any better about things when they come out.

You might also try a reading comprehension course. All I said is if the talent UT has turns into production then it could be the factor that turns the day in a way no one currently expects. UT has some big WR's who can catch and run. Oregon will have CB's that are 6' and under and not very big.

It shall be a slaughter.

I'm buying it guys. I think we can give them a he'll of a game and come out on top. But I don't think we can beat them at their own game. I think we need a really heavy dose of pounding the ball between the tackles, and we need all three of hill, Neal and lane to wear them down. You can't tell me that oregons front seven can handle our offensive line. Mix in some short passing game like dinking and dunking to Dallas, Howard, young amd Jenkins and I think we keep the chains moving all night. I don't think our young guys like Harris and north will be able to blow by them on the deep routes but I do think they as well as croom will be huge in the redzone. As soon as I got inside the 20 I would throw a double fade with croom and north attacking the back corners for a jump ball. They shouldn't be able to jump with our giants.

On defense you can't tell me that our secondary play ( my only real concern) won't be better this year. Coleman and jones are several steps faster than teague and waggner. With a healthy Randolph and a 2nd year McNeil I think the repeated wide open pass plays from last year will be all but gone. The x factor is obviously turnovers and the black mamba. It scares me to death what could happen if we throw a pick and they instantly get him in space. Play conservative, play smart and pound the rock and I think we can do it. Sorry for the rant lol go vols

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
that was my first tennessee game... i was 16 and it was ****ing awesome. and i agree if our OL/DL play to their potential this game will be much closer than the experts think as that senile old man on gameday would say

Lol I was also 16 and it was my second game. Cemented my love for the vols even more. Meachem destroyed them that game! Those short hitches that turned into 50+ yard Tds! Good god what a day! One of my top two fav games live along with the blackout Halloween gamecock game.

Neal was on his way to 1000 yds on a passing team last year before getting injured... and that is with a HC and OC who never required their star WR's to block. Neal has been roundly criticized for trying to bounce runs outside and not making it. But those plays were often blown up by guys that either Hunter or Patterson were supposed to have blocked or because their man was able to keep the play flat.

As great as they were as receivers, Patterson was horrible at blocking and put no real effort into it. Hunter was mediocre as a blocker and put little effort in it as well. ZR was the only one of the big 3 WR's who blocked also.

Im.with you somewhat, but Neal bouncing outside had nothing to do with blocking the edges because it would be a run designed to be between the tackles and he just wouldnt hit the hole....but he got a little better at it

I wonder if anyone remembers how much of a momentum killer the storm delay was in the first game. Not saying we wouldve won but it wouldve definitely been a closer game

Reactions: 2 people
I still believe it will be a close game, if turnovers are even. UT turns the ball over, could get ugly....Oregon turns the ball over, could be upset....Upsets happen every week, and this sets up as a potentially dangerous game for the Ducks.

For everyone talking about the talent differential, be honest with yourself for a minute.....Who will have the most players drafted from THIS YEAR'S teams, UT or OU? Really take a minute and let that thought sink in.

We have just experienced the worst 3 years of UT football history...and thankfully, he is gone. We have more depth, not the best depth, but more depth than we have had in a while, and the last time I checked, we have a roster full of players that other schools wanted, even a few SEC schools. Fans have bought in, players have bought in, it is almost football season. As long as the team COMPETES for 4 quarters, they will be in every game. Could they lose by 25 to OU?, of course, the ball bounces funny a lot of times.....But sooner or later, it is finally gonna bounce our way.

I still believe it will be a close game, if turnovers are even. UT turns the ball over, could get ugly....Oregon turns the ball over, could be upset....Upsets happen every week, and this sets up as a potentially dangerous game for the Ducks.

For everyone talking about the talent differential, be honest with yourself for a minute.....Who will have the most players drafted from THIS YEAR'S teams, UT or OU? Really take a minute and let that thought sink in.

We have just experienced the worst 3 years of UT football history...and thankfully, he is gone. We have more depth, not the best depth, but more depth than we have had in a while, and the last time I checked, we have a roster full of players that other schools wanted, even a few SEC schools. Fans have bought in, players have bought in, it is almost football season. As long as the team COMPETES for 4 quarters, they will be in every game. Could they lose by 25 to OU?, of course, the ball bounces funny a lot of times.....But sooner or later, it is finally gonna bounce our way.

As far as your draft prediction let's not act like ut won't be well represented. I have no idea who Oregon has that will be drafted but let's look at ut...

Aj Johnson if he declares would be drafted.
Richardson is a first rounder
James and Fulton will both get picked
McCullers is projected by some as a first rounder.

Potential- couch with a good season could get picked in the later rounds, same as Bullard, stone and j smith.

That's five guys who I could confidently say will be drafted and four solid bubble guys. We could easily have 3 first rounder in Johnson or James, McCullers and Richardson if they play to their potential. So where is this huge lack of talent?

As far as your draft prediction let's not act like ut won't be well represented. I have no idea who Oregon has that will be drafted but let's look at ut...

Aj Johnson if he declares would be drafted.
Richardson is a first rounder
James and Fulton will both get picked
McCullers is projected by some as a first rounder.

Potential- couch with a good season could get picked in the later rounds, same as Bullard, stone and j smith.

That's five guys who I could confidently say will be drafted and four solid bubble guys. We could easily have 3 first rounder in Johnson or James, McCullers and Richardson if they play to their potential. So where is this huge lack of talent?

Good post. We do indeed have the talent to compete.

Please explain Oregon's #3 pre-season ranking! Good grief!

Although, I love a great OL but to say there is no talent difference based on a subjective ranking when these kids were 17 years old is crazy!

So pre season rankings are objective, but talent rankings are subjective? Got it.

Both are subjective and both are flawed. However, do you trust the entity who has a dog in the fight or the one who doesn't care about the outcome? The media and coaches all have a vested interest in creating buzz when ranking teams; good recruiting services have a vested interest in a creating a reputation for evaluating talent.

As I have said many times before, Oregon gets love because they are top tier in a huge media market (west coast), but they play in a conference that would look more like the bottom half of the SEC talent wise (making it easier to look good). They lose when they play more talented teams, in general. They might beat UT, even with similar recruiting averages, but that doesn't mean that they are better than Florida, UGA, BAMA, or several other SEC squads. They aren't.

Have not kept up or watch many Oregon games(2 maybe).What is a good example of how good they are? How fast they are? I believe they are awsesome based on everything ive heard, just would like a link so i can see.thanx.GBO

General Neyland's 7 Maxims

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.
3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.
4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.
5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.
6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

We are Tennessee.

VN Store

Back