Packing of Supreme Court

Point being it shouldn’t matter. R’s can appoint conservatives and D’s can appoint libs but it shouldn’t have much bearing on interpreting things how they are written. I know that’s a lot to ask but activism has no place in any court and I’d like to believe a judge on any level would be impartial instead of guided by their political beliefs.
There's no way it wouldn't have any breathing in their individual interpretation. It's why the hypocrisy was on full display for nominations during an election year.

Point being it shouldn’t matter. R’s can appoint conservatives and D’s can appoint libs but it shouldn’t have much bearing on interpreting things how they are written. I know that’s a lot to ask but activism has no place in any court and I’d like to believe a judge on any level would be impartial instead of guided by their political beliefs.
Human beings will always have a political bias. You can hope that they would put them aside in the case of the SCOTUS, but there is no stopping nature. The question I want to know is how many egregious rulings have come down as a result of Trump's "breaking the judicial system" Seems to me his first appointee to SCOTUS has gone 'against' at least a couple of conservative wishes which pretty much invalidates the leftist claims of bias.

Reactions: C-south
BREAKING NEWS: Nancy Pelosi and senior Dems Kill their own party's bid to pack the Supreme Court with four more liberal judges by saying they WON'T support House bill

Nancy Pelosi effectively killed an upcoming Democrat proposal to expand the Supreme Court by four seats by saying Thursday she would not bring the bill to the House floor.

Nancy Pelosi and senior Dems say they WON'T support their own party's bill to pack the Supreme Court | Daily Mail Online

Nancy is making a mistake. Democrats always play too nice

BREAKING NEWS: Nancy Pelosi and senior Dems Kill their own party's bid to pack the Supreme Court with four more liberal judges by saying they WON'T support House bill

Nancy Pelosi effectively killed an upcoming Democrat proposal to expand the Supreme Court by four seats by saying Thursday she would not bring the bill to the House floor.

Nancy Pelosi and senior Dems say they WON'T support their own party's bill to pack the Supreme Court | Daily Mail Online

Say what you will, but Pelosi is an incredibly shrewd politician. She knows this is electoral suicide.

Say what you will, but Pelosi is an incredibly shrewd politician. She knows this is electoral suicide.
I mentioned this earlier, and I know Nancy is pretty universally hated on this board. But she isn't an idiot as much as folks try to make her out to be. She is and has always been an extremely effective Speaker. Same goes for Mitch when he was Majority Leader.

Reactions: bamawriter
Human beings will always have a political bias. You can hope that they would put them aside in the case of the SCOTUS, but there is no stopping nature. The question I want to know is how many egregious rulings have come down as a result of Trump's "breaking the judicial system" Seems to me his first appointee to SCOTUS has gone 'against' at least a couple of conservative wishes which pretty much invalidates the leftist claims of bias.

Agree about the hypocrisy, but the results haven’t been all that bad, so far. Two of the three Trump appointees have shown they’re not just party shills by voting against the party on significant cases and refusing to sign onto some of Thomas’s crazier ****. Barrett hasn’t had much of an opportunity to do so.

Nancy is making a mistake. Democrats always play too nice
Why pursue it if the votes are not there among your own caucus? It is a waste of time and a distraction. Kudos to Nancy for shutting this down, but she should have killed it immediately. Rare misstep on her part.

Why pursue it if the votes are not there among your own caucus? It is a waste of time and a distraction. Kudos to Nancy for shutting this down, but she should have killed it immediately. Rare misstep on her part.

fair enough, the Democratic caucus then plays too nice.

I'm tired of bending over backwards so we don't offend the people that crammed "alternative facts" down our throats while they broke precedent & decorum countless times.

Agree about the hypocrisy, but the results haven’t been all that bad, so far. Two of the three Trump appointees have shown they’re not just party shills by voting against the party on significant cases and refusing to sign onto some of Thomas’s crazier ****. Barrett hasn’t had much of an opportunity to do so.
Exactly my point. It shows the complete lie that was thrown out on the steps of the SCOTUS this morning.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
fair enough, the Democratic caucus then plays too nice.

I'm tired of bending over backwards so we don't offend the people that crammed "alternative facts" down our throats while they broke precedent & decorum countless times.
Well it has been a complaint for many years that the Democratic caucus/party is too nice. But this ain't the hill to die on, imho.

Reactions: AM64

It's not over. The radical portion of her party will use it as a reason to try to get her out of position.

Not saying they'll be successful, but I'd expect the war of words to heat up between the factions in the coming months.

It's not over. The radical portion of her party will use it as a reason to try to get her out of position.

Not saying they'll be successful, but I'd expect the war of words to heat up between the factions in the coming months.
Republicans fall in line; Democrats are like herding cats. Even with the feuding though, Nancy will be fine.

I'll take my chances. I am in my early 30s, I dont think republicans will be in that position again for the rest of my life, OR if they are, they will be a very different version of republican.

For one, they can't win popular votes and 2, Trump had that rare position of power and was appallingly bad, which is why Americans came out in droves to make sure we aren't in that position again. People aren't going to forget that
They can’t win popular votes? Well good news for them I guess since the popular vote is meaningless.

What is the make up of the court now? Is it fairly even in conservative vs liberal justices? If so leave it alone, let's not completely politicize the justices it works be another nail in the coffin for an unhealthy country.

I don't think this union lasts another 15 to 20 years at the current rate.

5-4 or 6-3 depending on which side of the bed Roberts wakes up on.

If the dims had DC and Puerto Rico representation, they'd most likely go through with it.

IMO, that won’t hurt her. This is whole exercise is likely just probing the perimeter for weakness, taking the temperature for the future. She will probably be retired soon, especially if the R’s win back the house in 22 or 24. Be sure this is coming eventually if the Dems continue to allow the far left to further control the party.

They can’t win popular votes? Well good news for them I guess since the popular vote is meaningless.

Don’t forget the EC is on the chopping block as soon as the Dems can get around to it. And it’s high on the list along with packing the SCOTUS. Then we’re screwed.

VN Store

Back