Pay the manTony V.

Curious what others think about the Texas situation. Their fans seem to think their AD may be waiting until after the WCWS to do anything with Pierce to avoid taking the spotlight from the softball team. I'm not going to be surprised at all if they fire Pierce.

If that happens, there's no way they don't contact Tony. At this point, it's hard for me to imagine what the allure is unless he's just really drawn by their history. I think we'd match or beat them on money, our facilities will easily be better once upgrades are complete to start next season, he's got the full support of our AD, and Tony's already got a killer thing going here with top recruits that are helping him to win SEC championships and get top seeds in the NCAA tournament. Winning the whole thing is obviously much harder, but at the very least it seems like Tony would have us well positioned to compete on that front every single year.

I'm biased, but Tony really has it made here. He's essentially built this program from the ground up exactly the way he wants it. Our fans have some expectations now after four years of pretty high-level success, but we've not yet reached the "give us a title now" stage of the relationship. I do feel like he'd have that pressure going to Texas. And, I really don't want these a**holes thinking they can walk into town and steal something just because they like it. They're not the real UT.

Curious what others think about the Texas situation. Their fans seem to think their AD may be waiting until after the WCWS to do anything with Pierce to avoid taking the spotlight from the softball team. I'm not going to be surprised at all if they fire Pierce.

If that happens, there's no way they don't contact Tony. At this point, it's hard for me to imagine what the allure is unless he's just really drawn by their history. I think we'd match or beat them on money, our facilities will easily be better once upgrades are complete to start next season, he's got the full support of our AD, and Tony's already got a killer thing going here with top recruits that are helping him to win SEC championships and get top seeds in the NCAA tournament. Winning the whole thing is obviously much harder, but at the very least it seems like Tony would have us well positioned to compete on that front every single year.

I'm biased, but Tony really has it made here. He's essentially built this program from the ground up exactly the way he wants it. Our fans have some expectations now after four years of pretty high-level success, but we've not yet reached the "give us a title now" stage of the relationship. I do feel like he'd have that pressure going to Texas. And, I really don't want these a**holes thinking they can walk into town and steal something just because they like it. They're not the real UT.

Pierce has made the CWS I believe 2 out of the last 3 years as well, and they are considering firing him after just 7 years on the job. I can’t imagine that would be an attractive landing spot for Tony since his resume isn’t exactly that much better if winning CWS titles is the goal. Texas seems to have an unrealistic expectation for their program in a world where college baseball has more parity than it ever has.

If Pierce is fired, no doubt Tony V is near the top of their list. Obviously Texas is scary because of the money aspect, but I truly believe Danny White would match anything offered, even exorbitant amounts. I think he knows how much CTV means to the program and the fans. I mean Tony is Tennessee baseball. I honestly think DW would get run off by fans if he let him leave. Basilio has stated UT has been working on a big raise and extension with CTV starting back in March, partly in anticipation of this.

Tony also will be the greatest coach in Vol history (probably already is) when all is said and done. He will never be in anybody’s shadow here and will be an all time legend, building his own program from nothing. I know that would mean a lot to me if I was in his shoes. I know he holds Augie Garrido (mentions him often in interviews) in high regard, but that shouldn’t play into any decision. He’s also designed the stadium to his liking and wants to see that through. Recruiting is rolling right now too. It’s a lot to give up imo.

A few years ago when LSU came after him, Tony repeatedly talked about loyalty and Tennesseee giving him his first shot. I know that meant a lot to him and I doubt that has changed.

That’s how I see it from 10,000 feet. If the unthinkable were to happen, you just promote Elander and keep this thing rolling.

Texas is one of the few schools that is a little worrisome, imo.

Pierce has made the CWS I believe 2 out of the last 3 years as well, and they are considering firing him after just 7 years on the job. I can’t imagine that would be an attractive landing spot for Tony since his resume isn’t exactly that much better if winning CWS titles is the goal. Texas seems to have an unrealistic expectation for their program in a world where college baseball has more parity than it ever has.

Interesting. Really good point if those numbers are accurate.

Texas is one of the few schools that is a little worrisome, imo.

Interesting. Really good point if those numbers are accurate.

David Pierce was hired at Texas the one year before Tony was hired here.

2017 - Regionals
2018- CWS
2019 - Missed Postseason
2020 - Covid
2021 - CWS
2022 - CWS
2023 - Super Regional
2024 - Regionals

If we make it to the CWS this year, Pierce will have as many CWS appearances as Tony since we hired TV.

David Pierce was hired at Texas the one year before Tony was hired here.

2017 - Regionals
2018- CWS
2019 - Missed Postseason
2020 - Covid
2021 - CWS
2022 - CWS
2023 - Super Regional
2024 - Regionals

If we make it to the CWS this year, Pierce will have as many CWS appearances as Tony since we hired TV.
Downward trend since 2022, but yeah, it seems crazy that they'd fire a guy with that resume. That would certainly give me pause if I were a coach considering taking that job.

He. Ain’t Leaving. Be loud. Do not sit there for nine innings and wait for something to cheer about, with your arms across your chest. He can have any job, give him the hornets nest.

9 innings of hell, absolute madness, that’s all we can control as fans. LFGO!!!!

Downward trend since 2022, but yeah, it seems crazy that they'd fire a guy with that resume. That would certainly give me pause if I were a coach considering taking that job.
Any team making the postseason in college baseball is doing great. Most teams never see their top recruits because of the draft . Also most good teams will lose the top juniors to the draft every year also. I think recruiting college baseball is one of if not the toughest things to do in college sports . I almost forgot about the portal too. . If the guy at Texas gets fired with a track record like his then shame on Texas . He will have no problem getting a great job somewhere else

Any team making the postseason in college baseball is doing great. Most teams never see their top recruits because of the draft . Also most good teams will lose the top juniors to the draft every year also. I think recruiting college baseball is one of if not the toughest things to do in college sports . I almost forgot about the portal too. . If the guy at Texas gets fired with a track record like his then shame on Texas . He will have no problem getting a great job somewhere else

This conference is going to be even more brutal going forward and recruiting is gonna be that much harder.

I suspect Tony’s lifestyle hanging with Chesney, Wallen, and Manning after big football wins is worth at least a few 100k in de facto equity.

As posted before, there are not a lot of living blue bloods in college baseball. Some of the most frequent title winners are now irrelevant (USC, Fullerton, Arizona State, Arizona, Miami) LSU is the big job. Texas is big but not LSU big. Tennessee could become a blue blood bully very soon. It would be easier to make the Vols an annual power in the current environment than lead a waning power back to relevance. Any difference in money would be negligible and Tennessee’s lack of income tax would make this even more moot.

I’m not sure why but the Florida schools have become inconsistent- even UF to an extent. And there’s no excuse for any of the big 3 to be mediocre as there’s easily enough local talent to make all 3 relevant.

Georgia has slightly less talent but it’s all in suburban Atlanta and UGA and GaTech have no excuse for their wide performance swings. UGA’s success is due to luck as Condon fell into their lap, the rest of their recruiting has been subpar.

The Pac12 has committed baseball Harakiri. The schools joining the B1G may never recover unless the conference allows some sort of self rule for their west coast members. The Arizona schools moving to Big12 may have a renaissance but will do it without big names as opponents.

I have no explanation about the other California mid majors like Fullerton, Long Beach, and others that are floundering.

This is the perfect time for new powers to rise and become BIG NAMES. Tennessee is easily the best candidate for this. Arkansas could be the same if they could develop any sort of consistent offense. Vanderbilt’s time has passed. A&M could if they could win their state’s best recruits. Texas in the SEC could rival LSU. Any of the Big3 Florida schools could if they get out of their own damn way. NIL is killing the mid majors.

After listening to Tony’s post game press conference. I am doubling down and say double what ever we were going to pay him This guy is a leader of men and really cares about the kids.
TN4.. I agree and would definitely do so. Maybe you and I can chip in! 😂

Reactions: tn4elvis
Ben McKee was apparently on the Jason Swain show today and was asked about the Tony and Texas rumors. He said they were very real on the Texas side, but basically that he would be surprised if anything actually come of it for a number of different reasons he went on to list.
I have seen in a couple of places that Tony's agent was in town last week. Today was the first time I read (can't remember where off the top of my head) that one of the Tennessee fan sites (VQ?) confirmed it was to hammer out a revised contract. Anyone else see that as well?

I have seen in a couple of places that Tony's agent was in town last week. Today was the first time I read (can't remember where off the top of my head) that one of the Tennessee fan sites (VQ?) confirmed it was to hammer out a revised contract. Anyone else see that as well?

Ben McKee has been reporting for a few weeks that negotiations have been underway for awhile. So that wouldn’t surprise me.

Part of Tony’s rant yesterday was talking about student athletes having their hands out for money and not bothering if that’s what they’re all about. Tony definitely deserves to be paid, but I don’t think a crap ton of money from outbidding us is gonna 100% sway him. I honestly think he has a lot of love for this place and has fallen in love with UT. He’s getting everything done that he wants for the stadium and it’s been mentioned that Kirby has plans to coach at UT with him in some form. The relationships that he's made since being here are more important than people realize. Jmo

VN Store

Back