PGA - LIV Merger: The Saudis Win

Boy all those tour players who said the LIV transfers were dead to them have some really awkward and completely earned moments coming their way. Hilarious as hell

I can see it both ways - they were sold a bill of goods from the PGA which encouraged the us vs them mindset and quite a few of the LIV defectors trashed the PGA but now will want back in. The PGA top brass fueled most of the bad blood and made promises it did not and could not keep.

I can see it both ways - they were sold a bill of goods from the PGA which encouraged the us vs them mindset and quite a few of the LIV defectors trashed the PGA but now will want back in. The PGA top brass fueled most of the bad blood and made promises it did not and could not keep.
They’re big boys and girls and should have known better. Let the two tour groups trash each other all they want but the players should have largely kept quiet. From what I heard Woods saying he sounded like he handled it well McIlroy is an idiot in how he responded and looks now

Reactions: KptVFL
They have a vested interest in changing their reputation here too, maybe even more so than changing it in Europe. I could see them trying to get an MLB team and paying massive luxury tax penalties every year; kind of like what the Padres are doing and Dodgers/Yankees have done in the past, but on steroids.

It would be harder for them to dominate in the NBA/NFL/NHL because of salary caps.

If they did buy an MLB team the other owners would quickly do away with the luxury tax and go to a hard salary cap. They would have to buy enough teams to control the owners vote.

Some of LIV will creep in I'm betting - the team stuff will be incorporated somehow in some form. The 54 hole thing likely not (the origin of the name LIV for those that don't know - roman numerals) but I could see it being replaced with some type of exhibition tour of 36 holes or 54 with no cuts (like LIV now) that pays big $ to big names.
I'm wondering what would be the point of a 54 hole no cut team tourney. Is that something that is highly desired? Because from what I can tell it wasn't a very popular idea among the golf world (outside of the players wanting guaranteed money). LIV wasn't profitable for the Saudis.

Guaranteed money or contracts could find a way into golf without team golf or 54 hole exhibitions.

The speculation on the radio this morning, and it was purely speculation, is that the 3 golf entities will end up as different tiers similar to Premier League football. LIV for example might be the premier league with worldwide tournaments paying out the big money. Next tier below might be PGA and then DP. With a bottom % of LIV players being relegated at the end of their season to PGA and some top % of PGA being promoted to LIV. Same for PGA/DP.

Last edited:
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/07/gol...for-the-saudis-americans-are-slamming-it.html

May be a good thing in the end but the PGA looks like preening, self-important schmucks for all there "sportswashing" PR.

Wonder if Biden will shut it down given his pledge to ostracize and isolate the Saudis - seems they keep getting the wins.

You insinuate criticism of Biden for allowing LIV Tour to advance in the USA of A and representing a form of Saudi control ?

I'll just leave this here.
KUZPHHCBIREHTEQI3CG7XN3X2M.jpg

Ok that proves it. LG is incapable of posting in any thread without referencing The Don.

I was responding to the point that the Saudis "keep wining" despite Biden's seeming antagonism towards them. The inherent premise of that is that the LIV tour is deserving of being criticized as a Saudi-basked endeavor.

So, I felt it relevant that Trump sold out to the LIV tour and the Saudis long ago. Along with his fellow sell-outs Tucker "I heart Putin" Carlson, and Marjorie "Jewish Space Lasers" Greene.

If they did buy an MLB team the other owners would quickly do away with the luxury tax and go to a hard salary cap. They would have to buy enough teams to control the owners vote.
They'd have to get the union to agree to that. Easier said than done.

I was responding to the point that the Saudis "keep wining" despite Biden's seeming antagonism towards them. The inherent premise of that is that the LIV tour is deserving of being criticized as a Saudi-basked endeavor.
So, because Biden is "antagonistic towards them," that means they are "deserving of being criticized?" That's actually hilarious. You really do get your talking points from CNN.

Heck, if Biden is against something, I'm almost automatically in favor of it, at this point. I don't know if he could F things up any worse if he just flipped a coin whenever a decision has to be made.

So, because Biden is "antagonistic towards them," that means they are "deserving of being criticized?" That's actually hilarious. You really do get your talking points from CNN.

Heck, if Biden is against something, I'm almost automatically in favor of it, at this point. I don't know if he could F things up any worse if he just flipped a coin whenever a decision has to be made.

To understand the context of the discussion, go back and read the OP. You will then understand why I find it ironic given Trump selling out to LIV some time back.

I'll clarify.

My point with Biden was that his words have proven to be ineffectual. The Saudi's rebuffed his efforts to get them to bump production when he was under pressure for high gas prices. The Saudi's have since cut production 2x (at least) against the wishes of this administration. They've basically given him the big middle finger and now they will have a controlling interest in world wide professional golf including the crown jewel; the PGA. Biden is not responsible for the LIV thing (never suggested that). It's just one more example of how his angry declarations are have no weight - one more example of him being ineffectual.

As far as Trump goes you have to acknowledge he picked the winning team in this battle early on. May be distasteful depending on how much the Saudi link to LIV bugs you but his business sense was correct.

Reactions: EasternVol
I'll clarify.

My point with Biden was that his words have proven to be ineffectual. The Saudi's rebuffed his efforts to get them to bump production when he was under pressure for high gas prices. The Saudi's have since cut production 2x (at least) against the wishes of this administration. They've basically given him the big middle finger and now they will have a controlling interest in world wide professional golf including the crown jewel; the PGA. Biden is not responsible for the LIV thing (never suggested that). It's just one more example of how his angry declarations are have no weight - one more example of him being ineffectual.

As far as Trump goes you have to acknowledge he picked the winning team in this battle early on. May be distasteful depending on how much the Saudi link to LIV bugs you but his business sense was correct.

Yeah, sure. That's what you meant.

target+yeah+right.gif

The anti-trust angle will be interesting. The current administration has been decidedly (and unprecedented) anti-merger. If they put the kibash on the deal it could be pretty detrimental to the PGA.

Reactions: KptVFL

VN Store

Back