PGA - LIV Merger: The Saudis Win

They’re big boys and girls and should have known better. Let the two tour groups trash each other all they want but the players should have largely kept quiet. From what I heard Woods saying he sounded like he handled it well McIlroy is an idiot in how he responded and looks now

Yep. Face covered in egg. I'm sure he understands now how much the PGA really has his back. Lol! Bought their BS hook, line, and sinker. He was pretty much an a## from the beginning of it.

They’re big boys and girls and should have known better. Let the two tour groups trash each other all they want but the players should have largely kept quiet. From what I heard Woods saying he sounded like he handled it well McIlroy is an idiot in how he responded and looks now

Contrary to your point, McIlroy is one of the few players who has an ethical foundation and is not driven by greed. Saudi Arabia is a deeply corrupt regime: The 9/11 terrorists were Saudis; the Saudi Crown Prince murdered one of his own citizens in a Saudi consulate and had him chopped into pieces. They lavish money on money-grubbing institutions and individuals to try and whitewash/sportswash their terrible human-rights record and terrible image. That's what the formation of LIV was all about. They bought greedy, pathetic trump and they bought a bunch of greedy, pathetic golfers who just wanted some easy cash, nothing more.

And after corrupting the already deeply corrupt gangster and the greedy players, they've now corrupted the disgusting Jay Monahan, head of the PGA, who, it turns out, is just a greedy a$$hat as well. He's apparently just sold American pro golf to the Saudis. Money/greed turns a lot of people into disgusting sellouts. McIlroy is not a sellout.

Yep. Face covered in egg. I'm sure he understands now how much the PGA really has his back. Lol! Bought their BS hook, line, and sinker. He was pretty much an a## from the beginning of it.

McIlroy's is fine. It's Monahan whose face is covered in his own bull$hit. How was McIlroy to know that Monahan would suddenly turn into just another greedy putz like Mickelson, Norman and all the rest?

Contrary to your point, McIlroy is one of the few players who has an ethical foundation and is not driven by greed. Saudi Arabia is a deeply corrupt regime: The 9/11 terrorists were Saudis; the Saudi Crown Prince murdered one of his own citizens in a Saudi consulate and had him chopped into pieces. They lavish money on money-grubbing institutions and individuals to try and whitewash/sportswash their terrible human-rights record and terrible image. That's what the formation of LIV was all about. They bought greedy, pathetic trump and they bought a bunch of greedy, pathetic golfers who just wanted some easy cash, nothing more.

And after corrupting the already deeply corrupt gangster and the greedy players, they've now corrupted the disgusting Jay Monahan, head of the PGA, who, it turns out, is just a greedy a$$hat as well. He's apparently just sold American pro golf to the Saudis. Money/greed turns a lot of people into disgusting sellouts. McIlroy is not a sellout.
McIlroy was parroting the party line of his employer. That’s all. The case that his irrelevant partisan ramblings resonated with you doesn’t change the fact he should have just kept his idiotic mouth shut.

Reactions: KptVFL and Septic

I hope this makes it easier for me to get Masters tickets. I'm going to guess that all the anti Saudi "sportswashing" screeches will somehow fade as the virtue signaling gets called out as we fill our cars up with refined Saudi oil.

As much as I can't stand Trump, he predicted this. And all the PGA guys who died on that PGA hill got ****** screwed by the very organization they thought was so altruistic. Suckers.

McIlroy was parroting the party line of his employer. That’s all. The case that his irrelevant partisan ramblings resonated with you doesn’t change the fact he should have just kept his idiotic mouth shut.

I'm pretty sure that McIlroy can say what he wants to say, like you and me and everybody else. It's not his fault that Monahan turned out to be a sellout. Maybe the Saudis will buy the Southeastern Conference next. We could use a few sheiks standing on the sidelines in Neyland.

I'm pretty sure that McIlroy can say what he wants to say, like you and me and everybody else. It's not his fault that Monahan turned out to be a sellout. Maybe the Saudis will buy the Southeastern Conference next. We could use a few sheiks standing on the sidelines in Neyland.
"However, amongst calls for PGA TOUR commissioner Jay Monahan to resign, McIlroy is still standing by him. He told reporters that he still had faith in Monahan as a commissioner, "

He seems cool with the commish being a sellout

Nice non sequitur. I never said he couldn’t say it. I said he was a moron and an idiot for parroting it.

Reactions: KptVFL

Lol. Yet the pga tour made a few exclusive events to give him and a few others more money.

What would happen if..........................

The Saudi's started a new Professional Football League with no salary cap and poached players from the NFL. Then forced a merger.

Would anyone care?

The Saudi's started a new Professional Football League with no salary cap and poached players from the NFL. Then forced a merger.

Would anyone care?

No. And I hope they make steroids completely legal. Do it for baseball too. I want to see 600 ft home runs and roid fueled brawls.

Entertain me.

Would anyone care?
We currently have two non NFL leagues active and they haven’t made a dent in NFL viewership. And “buying” golfers vs buying the best NFL talent to even form a couple of teams is a huge difference on investment

They're throwing around outrageous contracts for soccer players. Right now it's for old players to play in the Saudi league. This isn't as big a threat, because the league is still very low quality and I don't see many players enjoying life in Saudi Arabia. But their clear determination to throw money around until they get their way is worrying to me.
To your point.

It's unfortunate but most people will compromise their moral/ethical principles if enough money is waved in front of their face. Hell, that's our political system. Many people are happy to be corrupted for cash. If the gangster offered me a $1 million to start writing nice things about it, I'd consider it. Still wouldn't do--but I'd consider it! The Saudis and Mideast emirates could buy almost any entity in America if they wanted. That is why I respect McIlroy and others who didn't take Saudi money. All of the high-minded talk from Norman and Mickelson about how the PGA was limiting opportunities for the golfers, blah, blah, was total nonsense. Most PGA golfers are rich--they've made millions from the tour, many millions in many cases. They've been living the high life for decades thanks to the PGA. The idea that the PGA was somehow constraining them was/is nonsense. They got offered tons of money to join another tour and just took it.

When it comes to making more money, individuals can spout all kinds of nonsense to justify the grab. We'll hear it from Monahan. It's no different
than SEC expansion. Does anybody really think there is a practical need for continuous conference expansion? No. SEC schools were already making a ton of money from football TV contracts. Were fans clamoring for Texas and backwards Oklahoma to join? No. Was anyone saying, wow: wouldn't it be great if the SEC had 16 or even 20 teams? It's ludicrous. We might not ever win another SEC title in football, much less national title. We and others will be raising banners for finishing 5th. Many of the traditional rivalries will disappear, probably. But the decision-makers--Sankey, the presidents, the athletic directors: they don't really care: It's just another big cash grab--an attempt to grab as much TV money as they can before other schools and conferences get it. It's unseemly. NIL is unseemly. But as long as the money is coming in and the pie promises to get bigger, nobody much cares tradition, principles or anything else--not even fans.

So what's the consensus here?

Were the players who joined LIV and defected from the PGA at the time sell-outs?

How about the venues, courses, and sponsors who went with LIV?

Were the players who joined LIV and defected from the PGA at the time sell-outs?

varies by situation IMHO

I'd reserve any ire for those who left then complained loudly about the consequences of leaving; trashed the PGA and now want back in.

varies by situation IMHO

I'd reserve any ire for those who left then complained loudly about the consequences of leaving; trashed the PGA and now want back in.

The only ones I really remember making it a point to "trash" the PGA (or members) were Micklechoke and Norman. They deserve every bit of ostracism they get, regardless.

Was Tiger a “sellout” when he would travel to Australia to play in the Australian masters and get paid a multimillion dollar appearance fee? It’s not like that’s the only one where he did it and he isn’t the only one.

Was Tiger a “sellout” when he would travel to Australia to play in the Australian masters and get paid a multimillion dollar appearance fee? It’s not like that’s the only one where he did it and he isn’t the only one.

There is a pretty significant qualitative difference between those scenarios and the LIV/PGA dispute.

Look, I personally think it was up to each player to decide -- take the huge up front money but perhaps less prestige here at home in LIV events, or stick with the tried and true based on tradition and being fine with the money it offered. You could make a case for both.

It was the obnoxiousness of some of what went along with ti that was so annoying to me, as a fan.

Would anyone care?

Not really.

VN Store

Back