Portal Activity (News and Rumors)

We were rated as the preseason #2 in national polls based on last year's entire starting rotation returning. They did not perform to the that level of this year. There are no guarantees. As for NIL, it is what it is.

I do not like the term "sloppy seconds". There are plenty of great players to go around.
There are very few premium guys, Burns has premium stuff. Sure theres a second tier of good, but theres a definite gap.

Posts like this make me laugh. “He is a traitor”. Hahaha. Too funny. Also waiting for “don’t let the door hit you in the…” Your post should end with “unless he was my son”.

Burns is making less than $10,000 in cash with NIL. He’s leveraging the portal to his financial advantage. Stay or go, he’s going to make 6 digits plus school & housing. I’m sure if he was your son and he had the opportunity to make 500k+ over UT, you'd change your position. Or, maybe you’d rather be loyal to UT and your son not have that kind of financial security.

Oh, injury may be around the corner. Get the $ while you can.

Still laughing!
Keep laughing. I want him to stay. If he leaves, why would I like it. You have no idea what he's being offered by anyone.

We were rated as the preseason #2 in national polls based on last year's entire starting rotation returning. They did not perform to the that level of this year. There are no guarantees. As for NIL, it is what it is.

I do not like the term "sloppy seconds". There are plenty of great players to go around.
Don't you have to question why an entire elite rotation like that didn't perform to the same level? Not just one guy but all three.

Sure, but you dont find guys who throw triple digits everyday. What Seth and Chase were able to do from the pen was pretty big, theres a lot of innings to cover if both are gone.
And it is proven that you don't need guys that throw triple digits to win National Championships.

There are very few premium guys, Burns has premium stuff. Sure theres a second tier of good, but theres a definite gap.

Sure, Burns has premium stuff. He won't be the last to have premium stuff. While there's a gap, I wouldn't call them "sloppy seconds". And furthermore, a good arm could develop into a premium arm. Each team will have its own story unfold.

It sounds like this is more about you coming to terms with things. That's okay.

When marketing wins: look at the narratives on the espn broadcast. They're basically promoting AI pitching coaches. Won't be long before they suck the life out of the college game.

And if he does leave this no doubt will
Hurt recruiting. This is bad for Pr. That’s why if given the choice I’d choose burns over Frank and I like frank
No way. CFA is far more important than any single player. The long term view vs a player with one year of eligibility remaining to me is a no brainer.

Sure, Burns has premium stuff. He won't be the last to have premium stuff. While there's a gap, I wouldn't call them "sloppy seconds". And furthermore, a good arm could develop into a premium arm. Each team will have its own story unfold.

It sounds like this is more about you coming to terms with things. That's okay.
Nope, Burns is good, other teams and coaches fear guys like that because they know they have to be perfect when they come out especially at this level. Go back and watch Clemsons coaches press conference after our game, the only thing he could talk about is our premium stuff.

And if he does leave this no doubt will
Hurt recruiting. This is bad for Pr. That’s why if given the choice I’d choose burns over Frank and I like frank
This is my biggest concern,at least if Hubbs take is accurate. If he doesn't want to be here he needs to go. Whatever he brings is going to have costs associated with it. Yet how do you explain it on the recruiting trail? It's not a good look no matter how you spin it and we damn sure know how other teams are going to spin it.

Don't you have to question why an entire elite rotation like that didn't perform to the same level? Not just one guy but all three.
I think other factors are in play including:
1) umpires being graded by Trackman stats which resulted in a much smaller strike zone
2) a full year of scouting on our elite pitching staff
3) advanced technology used by hitters to emulate elite pitchers (ie Virtual Reality simulators, pitching machines that emulate spin rate and velocity)

Nope, Burns is good, other teams and coaches fear guys like that because they know they have to be perfect when they come out especially at this level. Go back and watch Clemsons coaches press conference after our game, the only thing he could talk about is our premium stuff.

I watched Clemson's press conference. Thank you for the reminder. Where did I say Burns wasn't good? I said he has premium stuff. Based on your earlier posts, it sounds to me like you are lamenting that our pitching staff will never have elite arms again.

I watched Clemson's press conference. Thank you for the reminder. Where did I say Burns wasn't good? I said he has premium stuff. Based on your earlier posts, it sounds to me like you are lamenting that our pitching staff will never have elite arms again.
Nah we will have fine arms, but guys like Burns dont grow on trees. Id rather have him than not.

Again, we dont know the conversation that the coaches have had, but personally the longer this goes on and just lingers the bigger distraction it comes, someone needs to close that door and not let this drag on.

You know as well as I , if he filed paperwork someone has to process it, that office closed at 5 on Friday. It’s not lingering, it’s business.

Nah we will have fine arms, but guys like Burns dont grow on trees. Id rather have him than not.

I'm fully aware of that. As I said before, I would love it if he stays next season. Even if he stays, there would be the same conversation once he leaves for the Draft next year.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think other factors are in play including:
1) umpires being graded by Trackman stats which resulted in a much smaller strike zone
2) a full year of scouting on our elite pitching staff
3) advanced technology used by hitters to emulate elite pitchers (ie Virtual Reality simulators, pitching machines that emulate spin rate and velocity)
I certainly think those are all factors.

You know as well as I , if he filed paperwork someone has to process it, that office closed at 5 on Friday. It’s not lingering, it’s business.
Im not talking about that as lingering, im talking about him hanging out in the portal. If he goes and explores his options for a couple weeks it is what it is, but if its October and fall ball has started and hes still lingering then it starts to become a distraction.

This is my biggest concern,at least if Hubbs take is accurate. If he doesn't want to be here he needs to go. Whatever he brings is going to have costs associated with it. Yet how do you explain it on the recruiting trail? It's not a good look no matter how you spin it and we damn sure know how other teams are going to spin it.

I would think you tell the truth. He did not like the move because he felt it was a demotion, but we did what we had to for the betterment of the team. It also led to an improvement in his numbers and overall success, even if he feels he is a starter. Additionally, we had the second best ERA in baseball this year, the best ERA last year, and the first college arm to reach the big leagues in the two of the last three years has come from the University of Tennessee. You list the number of guys drafted here, point to the large improvements guys made while here, etc. Like it or not, moving him out of the rotation and into the closer role was huge, and obviously happened as things turned around for the better.

I'm fully aware of that. As I said before, I would love it if he stays next season. Even if he stays, there would be the same conversation once he leaves for the Draft next year.
Nah, he leaves here and goes to the draft, tip your cap, support the kid and move on. He leaves under these circumstances its a bad look for him.

Whatever happens, happens. Nothing we can do about it. I freely admit if he does go, I will be the bitter, jilted fan. I don't handle breakups well. I want him to stay, but he has to want to be here. And if he doesn't want to be here, best he goes rather than be a cancer in the locker room.

Best case scenario - This all blows over and Chase remains a Vol, finding success on the mound next season.

Worst case scenario - Chase is an LSU Tiger next season.

I'm gonna keep hoping for some variation of the best-case scenario.

Im not talking about that as lingering, im talking about him hanging out in the portal. If he goes and explores his options for a couple weeks it is what it is, but if its October and fall ball has started and hes still lingering then it starts to become a distraction.

You're only going to stress yourself out more thinking about "what if" scenarios.

VN Store

Back