Portal Activity (News and Rumors)

I’m only here temporarily don’t worry lol. I’m intrigued by this burns thing and honestly very saddened by the environment that college baseball is these days.

btw the reason I’ve chosen to not fully support TV and staff seems less important compared to these bs portal and NIL issues college athletics is facing these days.

One other thing I’ll add. This years Vols grew on me. Same with the TV. They were all easier to pull for imo
Stick around bro. The board is better with you here.

I don't post much in the baseball forum. Don't enjoy game threads... unable to multitask. Love baseball though. Haven't missed a televised Tennessee game in more than three years.

If not mistaken ( it does occasionally occur) in an interview last year, Chase Burns was asked why Tennessee and not Vanderbilt (don't know if Vandy offered). Chase didn't say culture but said style of play, atmosphere and team dynamics. So if Chase leaves I don't think Vanderbilt is in the picture (unless he has changed his mind).

To @BruinVol on the issue of Chase Burns and Frank Anderson dynamics... watch the end of the Stanford game ( I think). Chase's performace was worthy of legend. The camera caught Frank and Chase hugging. This was not a two second chest bump... this was a make grown men cry hug ( at least Tennessee baseball fans). Maybe it was a good- bye hug. I don't know! I read it as you- are and- important -piece -of my -life hug. So, if Chase stays, ( in my opinion) Frank will be a big part of that decision.

In the end what a magnificent season. The MCWS has been held the last 76 years with the exception of 2020 for COVID-19. We have been six times as a program. Two of those trips occurred in the last three years. Our number one ranking last year and our disappointment has only fuel our hunger. The $56.8 million approved (and $39 million addition requested) for renovations to LN Stadium is just the first stepping stone. We are on the precipice of a historic run.

Last edited:
I’m only here temporarily don’t worry lol. I’m intrigued by this burns thing and honestly very saddened by the environment that college baseball is these days.

btw the reason I’ve chosen to not fully support TV and staff seems less important compared to these bs portal and NIL issues college athletics is facing these days.

One other thing I’ll add. This years Vols grew on me. Same with the TV. They were all easier to pull for imo
I’d be interested in your thoughts on NIL and the portal. They certainly have some things I don’t like but they do seem to be an answer to two things you hate….. over signing and 11/7 scholarships.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Ok ok here is a wild turn to all this

No idea how accurate but I guess it could make a little sense. Rumor is his agent wants him going to the Big10 to insure better success numbers as a starter

seems crazy but we shall see

No idea how accurate but I guess it could make a little sense. Rumor is his agent wants him going to the Big10 to insure better success numbers as a starter seems crazy but we shall see

What’s crazy is that agents can get to these kids before they are ready to turn professional. Mr. Burns is going to be a very wealthy man in short order, regardless of his college numbers. He has performed extremely well against the best competition available. Dumbing down the competition to improve numbers is nonsense and something only an agent could come up with. Burns needs to do what is best for him. If he wants to really improve his numbers, maybe he should drop a division or two. I hope this is nonsense.

No idea how accurate but I guess it could make a little sense. Rumor is his agent wants him going to the Big10 to insure better success numbers as a starter

seems crazy but we shall see
It’s not, his agent was also the one who wanted him to sit out the Georgia series. In fairness, his arm/shoulder may have been a bit tweaked but not enough to throw a few innings if needed.

What’s crazy is that agents can get to these kids before they are ready to turn professional. Mr. Burns is going to be a very wealthy man in short order, regardless of his college numbers. He has performed extremely well against the best competition available. Dumbing down the competition to improve numbers is nonsense and something only an agent could come up with. Burns needs to do what is best for him. If he wants to really improve his numbers, maybe he should drop a division or two. I hope this is nonsense.
The agents are everywhere. I met one of Boras’ agents in Clemson during the Supers.

I have not heard that specifically however I think the agent has gotten to him with some questionable advice

Sounds like if this is true, Burns would be advised to get himself a better agent before he turns pro. Anyone stupid enough to give him advice to play against worse competition to help his numbers won’t be good for him long-term. MLB Scouts are not idiots. They know certain divisions are tougher than others.

Sounds like if this is true, Burns would be advised to get himself a better agent before he turns pro. Anyone stupid enough to give him advice to play against worse competition to help his numbers won’t be good for him long-term. MLB Scouts are not idiots. They know certain divisions are tougher than others.
…and the fly emerges from the ointment…

Reactions: knoxvol52

I would like this 1000 times if I could.

I will not discuss rumors but I will give insight into Chase Burns. He is a big introvert. He is a great young man but is slow to let people into his life. He hates interviews or being in the spotlight. I had to work real hard to get him to let me in. But now my wife and I are there. He comes across as mad or not fitting in but he just struggles letting people get to know him. He is Kirby’s apartment mate and they have become great friends. He will definitely need a publicist when he is drafted. But again a great young man. Don’t read body language as the whole of him.
This board rocks.

Scott Boras is a plague. I won’t deny he’s good at getting his client the best deal possible, but his impact on the game has been a net negative.
He’s also followed strategies that have hurt his clients at times. There are some owners and GM’s that won’t be manipulated by his pressure tactics.

I don’t see how an MLB scout wants to see that kid pitch against lesser opponents, the B10 part, I just don’t buy it.

No doubt they’d rather see the big swing and miss %s in the SEC but if the agent doesn’t believe in the kid it could mean more $ having those same numbers against lesser hitters. It certainly wouldn’t be betting on himself to do that

No doubt they’d rather see the big swing and miss %s in the SEC but if the agent doesn’t believe in the kid it could mean more $ having those same numbers against lesser hitters. It certainly wouldn’t be betting on himself to do that

In about an hour, we’re gonna watch two SEC teams go at it for the CWS title. The kids 20 years old, if he needs an agent to go to the B10, for numbers? You can’t possibly believe that? If he decides to go to LSU or the like, that’s one thing, realistically, unless he’s just unhappy here, which could be I suppose…he stays suffers through one more year and gets drafted playing against the toughest teams in America.

VN Store

Back