Portal Activity (News and Rumors)

The portal is an interesting conversation stirrer. I might be wrong, but it seems a lot of folks have this notion that transfer seekers are something we can’t dare miss out on. We don’t want the LSU’s of the world to get something we need. I would venture a guess that 90% of those that enter the portal are not an upgrade to what we have on our roster right now. Yes, there are the occasional absolute studs, but many are marginal as related to our talent level now.

The portal is an interesting conversation stirrer. I might be wrong, but it seems a lot of folks have this notion that transfer seekers are something we can’t dare miss out on. We don’t want the LSU’s of the world to get something we need. I would venture a guess that 90% of those that enter the portal are not an upgrade to what we have on our roster right now. Yes, there are the occasional absolute studs, but many are marginal as related to our talent level now.
I'd take it a step further and say that the issue of culture/fit is a challenge in the portal. You just don't have the time to develop a feel for a kid unless you recruited him previously. Right now, LSU will buy the team they want. We will build through our recruiting and development and where we need experience or to make up for mistakes in evaluation we'll hit the portal...or at least that's my hope. I'll be very interested to see who enters from our roster and how active Tony V will be this time around. Got nothing other than speculation, but I have to wonder if we didn't have some fit issues early in the season with portal guys?

I'd take it a step further and say that the issue of culture/fit is a challenge in the portal. You just don't have the time to develop a feel for a kid unless you recruited him previously. Right now, LSU will buy the team they want. We will build through our recruiting and development and where we need experience or to make up for mistakes in evaluation we'll hit the portal...or at least that's my hope. I'll be very interested to see who enters from our roster and how active Tony V will be this time around. Got nothing other than speculation, but I have to wonder if we didn't have some fit issues early in the season with portal guys?

A lot has been made of LSU "buying a team," but if you look at their situation heading into this season, they were going into the final year for star players, headlined by Crews, Morgan, etc. Under those circumstances it makes total sense to pick up some transfer pieces to maximize a final run with that crew.

If I recall correctly, their primary transfer contributors this year have been Skenes, White, and Hurd. Seems like we had a comparable number (i.e, Ahuna, Denton, Merritt). This is coming from someone who despises LSU.

Well said. Spot on! The portal is a necessary evil and should only be used to fill in major holes due to MLB draft, graduation, and/or injuries IMHO. It can ruin team chemistry when bringing in the wrong fit. I’d rather grow and develop players that are a good fit on and off the field.

A lot has been made of LSU "buying a team," but if you look at their situation heading into this season, they were going into the final year for star players, headlined by Crews, Morgan, etc. Under those circumstances it makes total sense to pick up some transfer pieces to maximize a final run with that crew.

If I recall correctly, their primary transfer contributors this year have been Skenes, White, and Hurd. Seems like we had a comparable number (i.e, Ahuna, Denton, Merritt). This is coming from someone who despises LSU.
You make a great point but I bet LSU paid over $5M for their portal one-year rentals. I assume we paid a fraction of that. It just seems that “pay to play” is an affront to what NIL was intended. I prefer the home grown talent of Crews and Morgan. They are studs who will have long MLB careers. Plus, Tommy White and Riley Cooper are utterly unlikable. 🍊👍👊😀😃🍊👍

It’s pretty evident from hearing several interviews of Vol players that there was a pretty serious off-field set of circumstances that made quite an impact on these guys.
Where did you go to hear these interviews? I'd like to hear more about the off-field stuff.

Reactions: mackievol
What do we know or think about him?

I am not an expert, but from what I read he has a great change up, high strikeout rate, walks a lot of guys (which is fixable). People will look at his ERA and shrug their shoulders, but I can see why Frank might want him because the underlying numbers suggest he has stuff to work with.

They had two more IF’s committed who took their draft money instead, plus Christian Little (who’s been more worthless than at Vandy), Thatcher Hurd and Ben Nippolt. Riley Cooper and Jacob Berry came over last year from AZ with JJ through the portal. So this years group didn’t all materialize as initially planned or on field success didn’t pan out but at one point they were bringing in 7 portal guys.

They had two more IF’s committed who took their draft money instead, plus Christian Little (who’s been more worthless than at Vandy), Thatcher Hurd and Ben Nippolt. Riley Cooper and Jacob Berry came over last year from AZ with JJ through the portal. So this years group didn’t all materialize as initially planned or on field success didn’t pan out but at one point they were bringing in 7 portal guys.

Yeah, when you add in the players who left for the draft and prior years, it does seem a bit excessive. Plus, we were in a unique situation this year due to virtually every starting position player being drafted.

Last edited:
You make a great point but I bet LSU paid over $5M for their portal one-year rentals. I assume we paid a fraction of that. It just seems that “pay to play” is an affront to what NIL was intended. I prefer the home grown talent of Crews and Morgan. They are studs who will have long MLB careers. Plus, Tommy White and Riley Cooper are utterly unlikable. 🍊👍👊😀😃🍊👍

There are a lot of strange, bored wealthy people out there if they're committing big money so their favorite college can have a good baseball team. It only shows how absurd college athletics has become....

VN Store

Back