Potential shipping strike on the East Coast.

Holding the country for ransom out of greed.
I have no idea what else is on the table. I definitely don't think its an easy job, but seeing the demands I was surprised by the pay scale that popped up from Google.

IDK if working hours and safety issues are also on the table and being ignored, so they want higher pay to offset those, or other, "losses". but I have to admit to being less sympathetic after doing some research.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I have no idea what else is on the table. I definitely don't think its an easy job, but seeing the demands I was surprised by the pay scale that popped up from Google.

IDK if working hours and safety issues are also on the table and being ignored, so they want higher pay to offset those, or other, "losses". but I have to admit to being less sympathetic after doing some research.
It's not an easy job and I'm all for these folks getting paid and taken care of. But their demands are typical of how unions operate and why I'm so sick of them.

The next time any leftoid complains about profit margins and overpaying they need to turn around and look at the labor unions they love so much just as hard as they look at the companies themselves.

They want a total ban on automation of cranes, gates, and container movements. Don't think that's a positive step forward for productivity
There are so many people in my field (logistics) that are wholly against anything automated/AI they're reaching the point of totally retarding all productivity. We're behind a lot of countries already in logistics infrastructure and capability and a lot of these folks are making it worse with no other arguments than "sometimes AI makes errors" (as if humans don't make any).

There are so many people in my field (logistics) that are wholly against anything automated/AI they're reaching the point of totally retarding all productivity. We're behind a lot of countries already in logistics infrastructure and capability and a lot of these folks are making it worse with no other arguments than "sometimes AI makes errors" (as if humans don't make any).
I'm on the dev side of this for warehousing. One of the biggest issues we had at my previous employer was that Amazon bought every promising company in the robot space. We went thru 3 different companies that ended up being bought before we could get to production.

I think we watched in real time during covid how a lack of automation affected distribution. No reason for every step to be manual except to maintain someone's redundant position

I'm on the dev side of this for warehousing. One of the biggest issues we had at my previous employer was that Amazon bought every promising company in the robot space. We went thru 3 different companies that ended up being bought before we could get to production.

I think we watched in real time during covid how a lack of automation affected distribution. No reason for every step to be manual except to maintain someone's redundant position

LA/Long Beach Port has one terminal that is completely automated and it's amazing to watch. It was a success because they brought the unions in early and talked to them about the job requirements shifting to operational oversight, maintaining the equipment, etc. From what I was told, there were lots of pinky promises and contracts that no union jobs would be eliminated. I guess the unions have reason to believe otherwise now.

Yeah, let's welcome supply chain disruption so Trump's dumbass can get a 2nd go at ****ing the economy.

If he wins, the stock market will go up because of consumer confidence will go up, and everybody will say "See?!" and then the next 4 years he'll be enacting inflationary policy and spending us into oblivion.
Isn't that what we're doing now though? Same people running the country now will be running it if Harris wins.

I think one big thing that would help with unions is breaking up the monopoly they hold. One union represents the ENTIRE eastern seaboard workers?

If it was one city/one state that would make some sense. Maybe the New England small states can band together due to their size, but more than half of the coastline of the continental US is controlled by one union?

no idea what percentage of shipping that represents, but considering the logistical aspect of shutting down half of the country is pretty insane. especially for this level of demand.

Reactions: tbwhhs
LA/Long Beach Port has one terminal that is completely automated and it's amazing to watch. It was a success because they brought the unions in early and talked to them about the job requirements shifting to operational oversight, maintaining the equipment, etc. From what I was told, there were lots of pinky promises and contracts that no union jobs would be eliminated. I guess the unions have reason to believe otherwise now.
I'm sure. I've been in a couple fully automated warehouses and it's fun to watch. Of course they have to turn on the lights so us humans can see what's going on

Isn't that what we're doing now though? Same people running the country now will be running it if Harris wins.
True.

But remember. Kamala is from a middle class family. She grew up with people that cared about their lawns. She understands that the community bank is for the community.

She’s got this!!!

“Ban cars because we don’t want to lose our jerbs!”

-horse carriage Union, circa 1900

Reactions: InVOLuntary
My problem I have with things moving to robots/ai is what happens in the event of directed cyber attack from China, Iran etc.. in the event things ever go hot? Would all that equipment/cranes be able to be controlled by people or will they be just hulks of metal at that point.

Reactions: tbwhhs
My problem I have with things moving to robots/ai is what happens in the event of directed cyber attack from China, Iran etc.. in the event things ever go hot? Would all that equipment/cranes be able to be controlled by people or will they be just hulks of metal at that point.
thats a viable issue, but with the technology in EVERYTHING now, that doesn't really go away with the current set up. wouldn't even need to wipe out the robot picking up stuff and moving it around. take out the logistics computer and no one will know what belong to whom, where, or when.

**** him, break them up send them on their way and bring in non-union. (I know it won't happen)

Some of these ****s are making between 300k and 150k and want a 77% increase......... for unloading / loading ships.
How long since they had any substantial increase in wages?

thats a viable issue, but with the technology in EVERYTHING now, that doesn't really go away with the current set up. wouldn't even need to wipe out the robot picking up stuff and moving it around. take out the logistics computer and no one will know what belong to whom, where, or when.
You'd have to take out several data centers. Every company has at least 2 and likely more the bigger they get. Plus much of the software is cloud based rather than on prem which means more redundancy. Not saying it's impossible but grabbing the laptop from the office and running out the door won't do much

VN Store

Back