Potential shipping strike on the East Coast.

Some more research:
In 1984, the average of all unionized (water transport workers) workers made $19.68/hour. West coast workers made $21.31. Adjusted for inflation to today, that would be over $69. They currently make $39/hour and they have lost thousands of jobs due to containerization and automation.

Again, IMHO they are not being unreasonable
It will be funny when this exact argument is used and you're totally against it.

claiming that “ocean carriers’ profits skyrocketed from millions to mega-billion dollars, while ILA longshore wages remained flat.”

They're trying to hold the us and the entire logistics system hostage because a robot can do a better job. That's progress

Reactions: volinbham
Their wages haven't kept up with inflation for FORTY YEARS. We have enjoyed cheap Chinese **** as a result, and where has that gotten us?

Maybe they can learn to code.

Therefore they were being overpaid 40 years ago.

Labor supply and demand is what should determine wages.

Buggy whip manufacturing workers’ pay hasn’t kept up with inflation either. As a poster said earlier, the horse buggy unions would have blocked automobile technology if they were able.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
  • Automation: Advances in robotics and automated systems are streamlining loading, unloading, and cargo handling processes, reducing the need for manual labor.
  • AI and Data Analytics: Smart technologies are optimizing supply chain logistics, making operations more efficient and requiring fewer workers to manage tasks.
  • Economic Pressures: Companies are increasingly focused on cutting costs and maximizing efficiency, leading to a preference for automated solutions over traditional labor.
  • Globalization: As shipping and logistics become more interconnected, there’s a push for standardized processes that often favor technology-driven solutions.
  • Infrastructure Investment: Many ports are investing heavily in high-tech infrastructure that prioritizes automation, which can diminish the role of human workers in favor of machines.

What is happening at the Ports. will soon become a reality for all. My best advice is to gamble everything you have and become a millionaire while you can. Don't quit gambling, most stop right before their big win. Stocks make 7-12% a year... You can't hit a 10,000x on a stock.

• Automation: Advances in robotics and automated systems are streamlining loading, unloading, and cargo handling processes, reducing the need for manual labor.
  • AI and Data Analytics: Smart technologies are optimizing supply chain logistics, making operations more efficient and requiring fewer workers to manage tasks.
  • Economic Pressures: Companies are increasingly focused on cutting costs and maximizing efficiency, leading to a preference for automated solutions over traditional labor.
  • Globalization: As shipping and logistics become more interconnected, there’s a push for standardized processes that often favor technology-driven solutions.
  • Infrastructure Investment: Many ports are investing heavily in high-tech infrastructure that prioritizes automation, which can diminish the role of human workers in favor of machines.

What is happening at the Ports. will soon become a reality for all. My best advice is to gamble everything you have and become a millionaire while you can. Don't quit gambling, most stop right before their big win. Stocks make 7-12% a year... You can't hit a 10,000x on a stock.

stocks on average make 7-12% a year - some can go up like crazy. nvidia went up over 230% last year. don't confuse market averages with individual stock return potentials.

A majority will lose. Many employees are already in positions for which they are neither qualified nor interested in striving to excel. Middle management is poised to disappear. Static company sizes will become the norm as businesses achieve significantly higher production without needing to expand their workforce. If AI can improve productivity by 30%, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll receive a raise. We will witness these changes gradually over the next two years, and when they fully take effect, many of us may find ourselves obsolete. Even blue-collar jobs are not safe.

Business owners will face two choices: either adapt and integrate technology and AI, or risk failure. Competing on price and supply will become increasingly difficult. Unfortunately, the sentiment to shop local and support family-owned businesses has faded, as more people opt for automation and ease; purchasing their groceries online and picking them up after work. The life we've known is slipping away—much like the Braves, hopefully, after tomorrow. I need to clear MLB from my mind.

got ya

but I disagree about being in trouble - historically tech transformations yield better economic conditions though some individuals will be losers.
The knife cuts both ways. I am a controls engineer, so I would basically be able to name my price someday with more and more automation to be worked on, built, and installed. Those things have to be fixed and programmed, and robotics and automation screw up regularly. Another piece of good news is that technology advancements will allow us to pull even more manufacturing away from China in the future, and be much more self sufficient. Unskilled labor would be greatly affected, but it would still be required. I am guessing that unskilled laborers may have to move around more and more to get a job they want. Just a guess though.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
"JUST IN: Longshore Union President Who Pledged to “CRIPPLE” the United States, Owns 76-Ft Yacht, Bentley, Is Paid Almost 1 MILLION Per Year, Body of His Co-Defendant In RICO Case Was Found Decomposing In Trunk"

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Yeah, let's welcome supply chain disruption so Trump's dumbass can get a 2nd go at ****ing the economy.

If he wins, the stock market will go up because of consumer confidence will go up, and everybody will say "See?!" and then the next 4 years he'll be enacting inflationary policy and spending us into oblivion.
lol. You are a genius.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
"JUST IN: Longshore Union President Who Pledged to “CRIPPLE” the United States, Owns 76-Ft Yacht, Bentley, Is Paid Almost 1 MILLION Per Year, Body of His Co-Defendant In RICO Case Was Found Decomposing In Trunk"

Hit squad should take him out now

I was being totally sarcastic with that last line :D

But we are all in trouble due to the rapid advancement in tech and AI.
Couple that with (how many millions?) unskilled invaders that have poured over the border in the last four years - and potentially will for the next 4 years - and ask yourself what could possibly go wrong?

Couple that with (how many millions?) unskilled invaders that have poured over the border in the last four years - and potentially will for the next 4 years - and ask yourself what could possibly go wrong?
The one thing I will never understand about leftoids is how they want less pollution, less waste, less climate impact, higher wages, etc. (all of which come with a smaller, more homogenous and community-oriented population) and simultaneously think we need endless diversity and massive influxes of migrants. These things are mutually exclusive.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol

VN Store

Back