Potential shipping strike on the East Coast.

My wife has been on me about one of these since covid. Do you actually have one? I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit apprehensive.

I have a full smart toilet. I don't think they sell the one I have anymore (Aquatina III). Been using it for nearly 2 years. The brand is called Trone. I kinda wish I had got the matte black one.

You don't have to use the bidet and it still has cool features you'd like. The seat warmer is awesome in the winter. Auto-open/close lid and auto flush. Not all of them have this, but mine has a toe sensor for lifting the seat which I care more about than I thought I would. I never have to touch anything. Some have night lights so you don't have to turn on the light and wake yourself up when you pee in the middle of the night. They automatically release some water in the bowl when you sit down so that nothing sticks to the sides after you've flushed. It's pretty cool.

Reactions: Sandman 423
...and here we go....guess I'll pick up a few rolls of TP......

lol, why would a strike on the east coast take out a Costco in Idaho first? Did Costco only source their stuff from one port, and only use foreign TP?

most TP in this country, and probably paper towels, are produced locally.

Charmin has 6 US manufacturing locations for TP alone.
Cottonelle has 3 main TP US manufacturing locations, apparently they have more but weren't listed.
Quilted Northern is made by Georgia Pacific which has 30 manufacturing locations, in the US, that make more than just TP.

My problem I have with things moving to robots/ai is what happens in the event of directed cyber attack from China, Iran etc.. in the event things ever go hot? Would all that equipment/cranes be able to be controlled by people or will they be just hulks of metal at that point.

Nothing connects to the internet, keep it all local. Not sure that would work but seems possible

Basic laws of supply and demand of labor don’t apply when there’s the thug element of unions involved. There are millions of potential workers crossing over the border every year that would probably be thrilled to work for half of what the current agreement stipulates.

When the unions have the ability to hold the country hostage while extorting ridiculous compensation they aren’t valid stakeholders.

This will be a windfall for the **** hole states on the left coast.

Basic laws of supply and demand of labor don’t apply when there’s the thug element of unions involved. There are millions of potential workers crossing over the border every year that would probably be thrilled to work for half of what the current agreement stipulates.

When the unions have the ability to hold the country hostage while extorting ridiculous compensation they aren’t valid stakeholders.

This will be a windfall for the **** hole states on the left coast.

This will be a windfall for the mafia.

Yeah, let's welcome supply chain disruption so Trump's dumbass can get a 2nd go at ****ing the economy.

If he wins, the stock market will go up because of consumer confidence will go up, and everybody will say "See?!" and then the next 4 years he'll be enacting inflationary policy and spending us into oblivion.
Economy was better under Trump. Cry harder. Inflation was lower as well. Like usual, you are clueless.

Reactions: Tnslim1
I don't know... maybe it's just me, but when you have leftist governments fighting for a fry coook at McDonalds to make $20/hour now, these guys' 'demands' don't seem all that unreasonable.

How much do longshoremen make?​

Only workers at 14 East and Gulf Coast ports are on strike; West Coast longshoremen are represented by a different union, which negotiated significant wage increases for its members in 2023. ILA members earn significantly less than their peers on the other side of the country.

Pay for longshoremen is based on their years of experience. Under the ILA's former contract with USMX, which expired on Monday, starting pay for dockworkers was $20 per hour. That rose to $24.75 per hour after two years on the job and to $31.90 after three years, topping out at $39 for workers with at least six years of service.

The union is demanding a 77% raise over six years, or the equivalent of a $5 increase per hour for each year of the contract. Under the union's proposal, workers would make $44 for the first year of the contract, $49 for the second and up to $69 in its final year.

I don't know... maybe it's just me, but when you have leftist governments fighting for a fry coook at McDonalds to make $20/hour now, these guys' 'demands' don't seem all that unreasonable.

How much do longshoremen make?​

Only workers at 14 East and Gulf Coast ports are on strike; West Coast longshoremen are represented by a different union, which negotiated significant wage increases for its members in 2023. ILA members earn significantly less than their peers on the other side of the country.

Pay for longshoremen is based on their years of experience. Under the ILA's former contract with USMX, which expired on Monday, starting pay for dockworkers was $20 per hour. That rose to $24.75 per hour after two years on the job and to $31.90 after three years, topping out at $39 for workers with at least six years of service.

The union is demanding a 77% raise over six years, or the equivalent of a $5 increase per hour for each year of the contract. Under the union's proposal, workers would make $44 for the first year of the contract, $49 for the second and up to $69 in its final year.
Considering how much the trash in Washington DC get paid? Their demands aren’t bad at all.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
There's probably a better way to go about it than threatening to "cripple" people and implying they will lose their jobs.
I don't doubt it. However, do you find those demands unreasonable? The article I cited (CBS News) said that the top wage comes out to about $81K/year. I don't know how many people realize this, but a ton of these people work in large, expensive cities. It also says that they CAN make as much as $200K/year but that requires substantial overtime. I would think that in order to take home that kind of wage ($200k) they are working well more than 60 hours/week. Just a guess however.

The better solution for the longshoremen (imho) would have been to go to work and not pick up a single hour of overtime. They still get paid, and the effect of a strike would be felt just the same. The problem there is that the .gov would sue the union because they would be changing the status quo of that overtime work. (I have seen how this ******** works first hand). If the .gov would mind its' own business in that case, it would get resolved fairly quickly imho. But they won't.

So here we are.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Actually, the more I am reading about this and the strike of 1977 (the last one), the more I am starting to believe this is going to be blown way out of proportion.

Some more research:
In 1984, the average of all unionized (water transport workers) workers made $19.68/hour. West coast workers made $21.31. Adjusted for inflation to today, that would be over $69. They currently make $39/hour and they have lost thousands of jobs due to containerization and automation.

Again, IMHO they are not being unreasonable

Some more research:
In 1984, the average of all unionized (water transport workers) workers made $19.68/hour. West coast workers made $21.31. Adjusted for inflation to today, that would be over $69. They currently make $39/hour and they have lost thousands of jobs due to containerization and automation.

Again, IMHO they are not being unreasonable

Why should they get to preserve jobs by blocking technology that makes the process more efficient? Not as many bookkeepers were needed after software was developed to automate what they do. Keeping track of the finances is as much of a critical part of the process as unloading/loading the vehicles.

Market conditions should determine the cost of labor. Not threats to shut down the economy by entrenched union thugs.

Reactions: LouderVol and tbh
Why should they get to preserve jobs by blocking technology that makes the process more efficient? Not as many bookkeepers were needed after software was developed to automate what they do. Keeping track of the finances is as much of a critical part of the process as unloading/loading the vehicles.

Market conditions should determine the cost of labor. Not threats to shut down the economy by entrenched union thugs.
Their wages haven't kept up with inflation for FORTY YEARS. We have enjoyed cheap Chinese **** as a result, and where has that gotten us?

Maybe they can learn to code.

VN Store

Back