Potential shipping strike on the East Coast.

$21/hour (high end) was overpaid? Maybe it is, idk. I don't know the skill or education that is required to do those jobs. I do know that America doesn't value blue collar jobs enough, which is why we have PhDs pouring coffee at StarBuccees.

Yes. In 1984 over $40k/year is a lot. The median hourly compensation was $5.95/hour. Median individual income was $15,000. Median household income was $26,000.

America doesn’t determine pay by perceived value. It should be determined by the supply and demand of the available labor. Unions using a threat to shut down the country if they don’t have their demands met is a good reason to limit their monopoly power.

The 'snowball' is essential to life. Sorry, but it is. I didn't major in Econ, but I do know that an economy/business that isn't growing will die. With that growth comes inflation. We have been addicted to cheap money for far too long.

Their leader is an *******. The workers are not. They want a better life. You apparently don't think they deserve it. Are you willing to work for what you earned as a new hire for the rest of your life?
these guys aren't asking for a small pay bump. and as far as I have seen they aren't locked into their base starting salary for forever. they have upperwards paths just like any job.

It took about 7 years, getting my license, completely changing my job responsibilities, and massive growth in the economy to get anything close to a 77% over where I started. these guys want the same job, with no competition (automation) guaranteed, no change in responsibility to justify the increase in pay, while the economy is in the tank.

you are asking if I was still an intern, doing intern level work, with intern level responsibility would I expect to earn what I do now just because I worked the same amount of time? The answer is heck no. definitely would never expect my pay to rise 77% over 6 years for doing the exact same job I had been.

they aren't asking to keep up with inflation, unless they have some numbers saying inflation is going to cause a 77% increase in COL, they are asking for more. of course everyone wants more, doesn't mean its sustainable, and it doesn't mean that its ok to hit the rest of the nation with more inflation. Its not like they were being offered peanuts. they were offered 50%. I would take that in a heart beat to keep doing the same job I am now.

what happens after their strike, and they force inflation to go up another 3%, are they going to turn around and strike again until they get 80%?

not saying they are bad people, but I am saying their actions are going to have hugely negative impacts on the rest of the country for what amounts to greed over any sort of metric justifying the increase.

Reactions: LibertyVol
The 'snowball' is essential to life. Sorry, but it is. I didn't major in Econ, but I do know that an economy/business that isn't growing will die. With that growth comes inflation. We have been addicted to cheap money for far too long.

Their leader is an *******. The workers are not. They want a better life. You apparently don't think they deserve it. Are you willing to work for what you earned as a new hire for the rest of your life?
but what you and them aren't understanding is they are increasing the inflation they are worried about not being able to afford. Its like driving at a wall going 30mph, being afraid of the wall, and stepping more on the accelerator to get up to 50mph. it doesn't make any sense. and it creates a self defeating effect.

it won't improve their life for long, its just creating more of the issue.

Maybe, maybe not. It will be purely a financial decision by the dock operators. Whether or not it is a lot or not remains to be seen. Instead of vilifying these people though, we should be supporting them. Those are 100% American jobs. vilify the thug leadership all you want... I'll even join you on that, but the guys doing the work deserve our support.
Why support those keeping prices artificially high by standing in the way of efficiency? They're fighting to maintain jobs that would be obsolete without union thugs threatening to cripple the economy. Or maybe that's what you see as 100% American in this this situation

The best part about unions is they are as corrupt if not more corrupt then the people they are fighting. Notice I didnt say fighting for, because they don't do that. They exist to fight "the man" and union leadership lines their pockets with member dues with false promises of hope that seldom materialize.

I get to testify against a union in DC this month and I'm looking forward to slapping more dipsh!t union leaders down like the uneducated mouthbreathers they are.

I'd say get a different job but there arent many jobs that require zero education that can get you close to $200K a year.

The best part about unions is they are as corrupt if not more corrupt then the people they are fighting. Notice I didnt say fighting for, because they don't do that. They exist to fight "the man" and union leadership lines their pockets with member dues with false promises of hope that seldom materialize.

I get to testify against a union in DC this month and I'm looking forward to slapping more dipsh!t union leaders down like the uneducated mouthbreathers they are.

It’s been nice knowing you. Be sure to get your affairs in order first.

Union Boss Who Threatened To ‘Cripple’ Economy Lives In Luxe 7,000 Square-Foot Mansion​

Harold Daggett — the union boss who has vowed to “cripple” the US economy if ports don’t ban automation and raise dockworkers’ wages sharply — had a Bentley convertible parked outside his sprawling mansion in New Jersey this week, exclusive photos obtained by The Post reveal.

Photos taken by drone on Tuesday show the British luxury car parked with its top up outside what appears to be a five-car garage that’s connected to his 7,136-square-foot, Tudor-style home by a covered skyway.

The posh compound is nestled in a picturesque section of the Garden State near the Delaware Water Gap, where five-bedroom homes list for as much as $6 million, according to Zillow.

One realtor who spoke to The Post said that Daggett put the four-bedroom, six-and-a-half bathroom property on the market in 2004 at a listing price of $3.1 million before reducing it to $2.9 million. He eventually took it off the market.

Daggett, who has been alleged to have ties with the mafia, is president of the International Longshoremen’s Association, a job that comes with a salary of $728,000 annually on top of an additional $173,000 from ILA-Local 1804-1.

“I’ll cripple you. I will cripple you and you have no idea what that means. Nobody does,” he said.

1727902434296.png

Union Boss Who Threatened To ‘Cripple’ Economy Lives In Luxe 7,000 Square-Foot Mansion​

Harold Daggett — the union boss who has vowed to “cripple” the US economy if ports don’t ban automation and raise dockworkers’ wages sharply — had a Bentley convertible parked outside his sprawling mansion in New Jersey this week, exclusive photos obtained by The Post reveal.

Photos taken by drone on Tuesday show the British luxury car parked with its top up outside what appears to be a five-car garage that’s connected to his 7,136-square-foot, Tudor-style home by a covered skyway.

The posh compound is nestled in a picturesque section of the Garden State near the Delaware Water Gap, where five-bedroom homes list for as much as $6 million, according to Zillow.

One realtor who spoke to The Post said that Daggett put the four-bedroom, six-and-a-half bathroom property on the market in 2004 at a listing price of $3.1 million before reducing it to $2.9 million. He eventually took it off the market.

Daggett, who has been alleged to have ties with the mafia, is president of the International Longshoremen’s Association, a job that comes with a salary of $728,000 annually on top of an additional $173,000 from ILA-Local 1804-1.

“I’ll cripple you. I will cripple you and you have no idea what that means. Nobody does,” he said.

View attachment 683170

who says crime doesnt pay -- it does

Yes. In 1984 over $40k/year is a lot. The median hourly compensation was $5.95/hour. Median individual income was $15,000. Median household income was $26,000.

America doesn’t determine pay by perceived value. It should be determined by the supply and demand of the available labor. Unions using a threat to shut down the country if they don’t have their demands met is a good reason to limit their monopoly power.
How do you propose to do that?

these guys aren't asking for a small pay bump. and as far as I have seen they aren't locked into their base starting salary for forever. they have upperwards paths just like any job.

It took about 7 years, getting my license, completely changing my job responsibilities, and massive growth in the economy to get anything close to a 77% over where I started. these guys want the same job, with no competition (automation) guaranteed, no change in responsibility to justify the increase in pay, while the economy is in the tank.

you are asking if I was still an intern, doing intern level work, with intern level responsibility would I expect to earn what I do now just because I worked the same amount of time? The answer is heck no. definitely would never expect my pay to rise 77% over 6 years for doing the exact same job I had been.

they aren't asking to keep up with inflation, unless they have some numbers saying inflation is going to cause a 77% increase in COL, they are asking for more. of course everyone wants more, doesn't mean its sustainable, and it doesn't mean that its ok to hit the rest of the nation with more inflation. Its not like they were being offered peanuts. they were offered 50%. I would take that in a heart beat to keep doing the same job I am now.

what happens after their strike, and they force inflation to go up another 3%, are they going to turn around and strike again until they get 80%?

not saying they are bad people, but I am saying their actions are going to have hugely negative impacts on the rest of the country for what amounts to greed over any sort of metric justifying the increase.
I am not at all saying that the dock companies should roll over and give them everything they want. And these guys might very well have outkicked their coverage by turning down the 50% increase offered. Time will tell. I do find the exhibited sanctimony aimed at these guys under the auspices that they owe the rest of the country something more than a bit hypocritical. If they were to sign a contract and are shortly automated out of work, will the rest of the country chip in and ensure that their kids don't go hungry? You know that we won't. So what exactly do they owe you? And they are not responsible for inflation. As I said before, if they are so essential to the operation of the country, their contracts should be placed under a structure similar to the RLA where their contracts never 'expire' but become 'amendable'. That way they cannot strike until exhausting a ludicrous number of hoops. It might take a huge quid to get that however.

It also took me a long time to get to where I am now regarding pay. I am guessing that the pay is not the real issue, but rather the automation aspect of all this. Since management is apparently dug in, it seems obvious that their intent is to automate those jobs. So then, what do these guys have to lose? You gonna feed their kids? At some point, workers realize that their jobs are gone anyway, so why not burn it to the ground on the way out? The sad fact though is that the union leadership and corporate management will still get handsomely paid, and the workers' kids will still go hungry anyway.

One more question: How much increase in pay and benefits does one have to remain under in order to not be considered "greedy"?

Last edited:
Remind yourself that when you ask for a raise the next time that you are being greedy.
There's a misconception in this country about greediness with CEOs. Are there some who are greedy? Sure. Most though, are paid a modest salary for that position. At the end of each year most are given a huge bonus by the board of directors as a result of peak performance of the company. CEOs don't give themselves those bonuses of high 7 and 8 figures. What are they supposed to do? Give it back? Even further it can be noted what they do with those huge bonuses when they get them. That's the best evaluation

There's a misconception in this country about greediness with CEOs. Are there some who are greedy? Sure. Most though, are paid a modest salary for that position. At the end of each year most are given a huge bonus by the board of directors as a result of peak performance of the company. CEOs don't give themselves those bonuses of high 7 and 8 figures. What are they supposed to do? Give it back? Even further it can be noted what they do with those huge bonuses when they get them. That's the best evaluation
I don't disagree with that. I do think that their compensation is for the most part exorbitant and out of line with the rest of the company, but they SHOULD make more than a baggage handler at the airline. The only real issue I have with executive compensation is the type and amount of stock options many get. When they can have their strike prices re-struck in order to make more money out of them.. that's wrong. But as the saying goes regarding executive boardrooms: "It's a big club, and you ain't in it".

The legislative branch or the DOJ could get off of their butts and do something for the common good.

The union, speaking for the workers, lost any credibility by threatening to shut down the economy and including stagnating technology in their demands.
Merrick Garland???? LOL He is way too busy trying to find another angle on Trump. But if being an ******* were a crime, every prison in the USA would be stuffed to the gills. Unfortunately it isn't. Maybe there is a seditious aspect to all of this in that Daggett is threatening the country. I think the Puddinhead administration is too spineless to even try to find out. If they do, then they risk running afoul of labor. Maybe after the election they will show they mean business.

Rock - Puddinhead/Harris - Hard place

It is interesting.

I don't disagree with that. I do think that their compensation is for the most part exorbitant and out of line with the rest of the company, but they SHOULD make more than a baggage handler at the airline. The only real issue I have with executive compensation is the type and amount of stock options many get. When they can have their strike prices re-struck in order to make more money out of them.. that's wrong. But as the saying goes regarding executive boardrooms: "It's a big club, and you ain't in it".
Again, it's the bonuses that make the compensation exhorberrent. When companies don't perform, their CEOs are expelled. Jeffery Immelt was Jack Welch's right hand man during GE's resurgence in the mid 1990s. When Welch retired, Immelt got the job and experienced some growing pains during a couple of natural disaster situations like we are currently enduring. He was fired after a lack of growth during period.

VN Store

Back