President Donald Trump Signed MAGA Hat

I did not say replace them... 538 number is always going to be the number. 200 cut and 200 replaced. 100 newbies from each party. Get the radical left and radical right out of the picture. I can think of a 100 easily that if they were on fire I would not walk across the street to Pee on.

We actually need Representatives in office that are Vetted and meet a set of Standards.

In some cases, it is kind of like hiring a Pee Wee football coach to HC at UTK. What's more, it is like having a Coach so old school that decides to run a Wishbone offense in today's game.

This is why Term Limits need to happen?
All the solutions we discuss here are never going to happen in our lifetime. I am against term limits in principle because we have regular elections. I am for term limits in application because we have so many career politicians which was not the design of our representative republic.

We need more congress people. About 5,000 +/- (based on today's population). By increasing the number, we will naturally get the extremes to each side of the bell curve. In fact, we might actually see the extremes conform to normal bell curve distribution.

I dont care for Trump personally but this is a cool piece of memorabilia for a collection....
That should be the takeaway I think too. Love Trump or hate him I’d guess his memorabilia will have a higher market and value than most of our modern presidents.

And let’s face it from DOCTORLOOMIS’s other threads he has an eye for memorabilia and that’s all this is more memorabilia.

Rather have a hat signed by Jimmy Carter...and he sucked from a results standpoint

Boo this man.

Appointed the fed chair who got inflation under control
Deregulated trucking
Deregulated air travel
Deregulated the financial industry

And all that paved the way for the boom of the 80's. Carter inherited an absolute mess and did enough to turn it around in one term. Reagan's economy is a creation of Carter. The optics with Carter were terrible, like with Iran and gas shortages, etc. But the fact of the matter is, he fkn saved the economy. He did what we want every Republican POTUS to do (and they don't do it). If Trump had half the deregulatory impact that Carter had, I'd be writing songs about him.

Just another example of it's okay when your guy does it but not when the other guy does it.

• "They want to impeach over acts that they did."
  • "Dems have no achomlishments (sic)."
  • "I'm going to keep working for the American people."
  • "Intentially (sic) had a meeting before."
Couldn't remember he was going to keep working for the American people?
1658159182689.jpeg

You say hello

You take your seat

Cmon dude. You are right in previous presidents relied on cue cards. This is not that! This is dangerous, that his mind is so far gone his handlers have to do this for him.

I will vouch that you rarely if ever promote or defend Biden.

Boo this man.

Appointed the fed chair who got inflation under control
Deregulated trucking
Deregulated air travel
Deregulated the financial industry

And all that paved the way for the boom of the 80's. Carter inherited an absolute mess and did enough to turn it around in one term. Reagan's economy is a creation of Carter. The optics with Carter were terrible, like with Iran and gas shortages, etc. But the fact of the matter is, he fkn saved the economy. He did what we want every Republican POTUS to do (and they don't do it). If Trump had half the deregulatory impact that Carter had, I'd be writing songs about him.
Put down the bottle dude. I can get you an AA number if you want me too

Reactions: 508mikey
Put down the bottle dude. I can get you an AA number if you want me too

Argue with the points I made. Do you not like the deregulation of 3 major industries? Why not? Can you admit Volcker got inflation under control and Reagan kept him as fed chair because he was doing great?

Argue with the points I made. Do you not like the deregulation of 3 major industries? Why not? Can you admit Volcker got inflation under control and Reagan kept him as fed chair because he was doing great?
Does the appointment so late in Carter's term give any nuance in praising Carter for the pick?

Deregulation is good. So because a horrible failure of a President accidentally makes a handful of good decisions, he is suddenly the savior of the American economy? A Broken clock is right twice a day (or once a day if using military time) 😉

Deregulation is good. So because a horrible failure of a President accidentally makes a handful of good decisions, he is suddenly the savior of the American economy? A Broken clock is right twice a day (or once a day if using military time) 😉

You show your bias by calling it an accident but who cares if it was an accident or not? Let's call them a handful of economy transforming changes, because that's what they were. The average American couldn't afford to fly before Carter. You can't understate what an economic boon it is to shrink our geography like that. I flew at age 7 in 1989, and we were poor. It was also the first time my sister 10 years older than me flew. By age 15, I was paying for my own flights with paper route money. The existing power structure in commercial flight was holding everything back until they were busted up.

You show your bias by calling it an accident but who cares if it was an accident or not? Let's call them a handful of economy transforming changes, because that's what they were. The average American couldn't afford to fly before Carter. You can't understate what an economic boon it is to shrink our geography like that. I flew at age 7 in 1989, and we were poor. It was also the first time my sister 10 years older than me flew. By age 15, I was paying for my own flights with paper route money. The existing power structure in commercial flight was holding everything back until they were busted up.
First time I flew was 1980. I was 9 4 of us went to Cali for my G parents 50th wedding anniversary.

Does the appointment so late in Carter's term give any nuance in praising Carter for the pick?

You're saying he shouldn't get as much credit because he didn't immediately make a change? He took the default fed chair (which is pretty normal) from the Nixon admin, but didn't think he was doing enough to address unemployment. He then appointed Miller, but let him go after a year because he didn't feel like he was trying to rein in inflation. That's where Volcker came in

I guess you can criticize him for getting the wrong guy the first time, but willingness to own and fix the mistake is huge, since that's not necessarily business as usual in DC, and he was making a change for absolutely the right reasons and then made the right change.

You're saying he shouldn't get as much credit because he didn't immediately make a change? He took the default fed chair (which is pretty normal) from the Nixon admin, but didn't think he was doing enough to address unemployment. He then appointed Miller, but let him go after a year because he didn't feel like he was trying to rein in inflation. That's where Volcker came in

I guess you can criticize him for getting the wrong guy the first time, but willingness to own and fix the mistake is huge, since that's not necessarily business as usual in DC, and he was making a change for absolutely the right reasons and then made the right change.
I think you misunderstood because I was unclear. My question wasn't rooted in a critique as much as it was looking for the details behind Carter's approach. His first 2 years were nothing special. It seemed he made his "good" decisions in the 2nd half of his term.
You've shared this view other times. I looked into who was advising Carter but never found anything noteworthy.

Also, Miller was transferred to Treasury Secretary.

I think you misunderstood. My question wasn't rooted in a critique as much as it was looking for the details behind Carter's approach. His first 2 years were nothing special. It seemed he made his "good" decisions in the 2nd half of his term.
You've shared this view other times. I looked into who was advising Carter but never found anything noteworthy.

Also, Miller was transferred to Treasury Secretary.

Surprisingly, that was when the D's controlled both houses of congress. Last time they did anything good controlling legislative and executive. IIRC, Teddy Kennedy was leading the way on some of this deregulation, if you can f-ing believe it.

So if you were 7 in 1989, you weren’t even alive during the Carter Presidency. I WAS. It was horrible. Maybe I couldn’t afford to fly then, but I also couldn’t afford other things. Heck, with the gas lines, I sometimes couldn’t travel by automobile until Reagan. Trust someone who was there and stop relying on left wing kensyian talking points. Carter was an abject disaster (look up Carter misery index if you want some laughs). Reagan was a FANTASTIC President who continued and accelerated deregulation. He also broke the backs of the labor unions who held the economy hostage. Google Reagan PATCO if you want to see something that REALLY helped air travel. The very mood and outlook of America brightened overnight once we got Jimmy out of the White House. It was literally “Morning in America” again. We have been living in the economic afterglow of Reganaomics ever since (or at least we WERE until Carter 2.0 came in and started destroying everything he touched)

So if you were 7 in 1989, you weren’t even alive during the Carter Presidency. I WAS. It was horrible. Maybe I couldn’t afford to fly then, but I also couldn’t afford other things. Heck, with the gas lines, I sometimes couldn’t travel by automobile until Reagan. Trust someone who was there and stop relying on left wing kensyian talking points. Carter was an abject disaster (look up Carter misery index if you want some laughs). Reagan was a FANTASTIC President who continued and accelerated deregulation. He also broke the backs of the labor unions who held the economy hostage. Google Reagan PATCO if you want to see something that REALLY helped air travel. The very mood and outlook of America brightened overnight once we got Jimmy out of the White House. It was literally “Morning in America” again. We have been living in the economic afterglow of Reganaomics ever since (or at least we WERE until Carter 2.0 came in and started destroying everything he touched)

This doesn't mean anything. You just gonna accept a 90-year-old saying FDR was awesome cause you didn't live it? This is what books are for. You lived it and I can promise you that you had no fkn clue about his being a great deregulator, so what good is living it? Your age gives you no authority on the matter.

The entire point is that America sucked during Carter because of what he inherited, and it was better after Carter because of what he did. You're just repeating that it sucked under Carter.

Surprisingly, that was when the D's controlled both houses of congress. Last time they did anything good controlling legislative and executive. IIRC, Teddy Kennedy was leading the way on some of this deregulation, if you can f-ing believe it.
The Ds had the house locked down for decades. The D party controlled both the elected branches in 76 to 80, which again, makes me scratch my head as to why Carter took a bit to be the great deregulator and appoint a financial whiz.

Our family struggled under Carter as well. My dad was not a fan. After forced bussing / desegregation came to Nashville schools, they moved out of Nashville between White House and Millersville. I remember we got a wood burning stove to heat the house. Dad was looking into underground housing, solar water heaters, and ethanol for fuel. He and mom got some farm animals. I didn't understand it then but I do now. They were preparing for another depression. They both lived through it as kids.
I am not sure how long they pursued self sufficiency / off-grid living. But I remember very early in the 80s things got better. They gradually harvested the animals or sold them. Dad's business began to improve. I was grateful to not have farm chores as part of my daily life.

eta: I remember "malaise", carter telling people to adjust their thermostat, carter wearing a sweater during a tv address from the white house, AND SNL mocking the 3 mile island issue.

Our family struggled under Carter as well. My dad was not a fan. After forced bussing / desegregation came to Nashville schools, they moved out of Nashville between White House and Millersville. I remember we got a wood burning stove to heat the house. Dad was looking into underground housing, solar water heaters, and ethanol for fuel. He and mom got some farm animals. I didn't understand it then but I do now. They were preparing for another depression. They both lived through it as kids.
I am not sure how long they pursued self sufficiency / off-grid living. But I remember very early in the 80s things got better. They gradually harvested the animals or sold them. Dad's business began to improve. I was grateful to not have farm chores as part of my daily life.

eta: I remember "malaise", carter telling people to adjust their thermostat, carter wearing a sweater during a tv address from the white house, AND SNL mocking the 3 mile island issue.
Thanks for sharing.

I know many people/posters want to dismiss personal experience as a legitimate form of evidence when making an argument. I however, put a premium on stories and personal experience. Especially when considering time periods in which I didn’t live, or in this case, I was a baby/toddler.

VN Store

Back