Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
"He took care of the football, and gave us a chance to punt."

-Clark Lea on Ken Seals
Whip It GIF - Whip It Mediocrity - Discover & Share GIFs

All they had to do was keep Kippy as interim. He would have held the recruiting class together, and been fine for a year while UT conducted a legit search for a qualified candidate. OSU did it when they canned Tressel and it turned out fine. We rushed it.
5 win season under Finkell. I’ve never agreed that Brown would’ve retained the recruits. Dooley actually added Justin Hunter, Da’Rick Rogers and James Stone amongst others…just didn’t do enough with them. Kippy had no HC experience so it’s debatable if that first season would’ve been an improvement on the field…but it would’ve been easier to move on from there. What we fail to recognize in revisionist decision making is that we had the same inept hierarchy making the eventual hire. It was bound for failure until the failed president, chancellor and AD left.

This is true..but McDermott is looking for a way to save his job ..which I see not working he gone if Bills miss playoffs...crystal ball sees Bill Belichick coaching Bills next season ...him and Allen at QB equals Super Bowl for Billy Boy...
NFL job can be a tough gig. But, McDermott has made the playoffs 5 of 6 years with year one having Tyrod Taylor at QB and year three with a Allen as a second year pro. He's made the AFC title game.

That's tough if they fire him after this year. They have been hit hard with injuries on defense.

I'm not a banks hater, I'm really not. But this is shocking to me.
59 nominees total. 7 out of 12 SEC teams had a coordinator or assistant nominated. Missouri had 2 nominated so 8 total nominees from the SEC.

Curious how they even come up with the nominees though. For instance, Ole Miss and Arkansas both had their DC nominated. Both of those units are smack dab in the middle of the league in defensive metrics. Neither had a very big jump with this year stats over last years stats and neither are top 50 in scoring defense in the nation. Why the heck are they nominated? Does recruiting go into this too?

Anyone noticed that some people either say "I'm a vol fan" or "I'm a vols fan"

Is it just me that thinks it sounds dumb when people say "I'm a vols fan"?

"As a vols fan" = "as a volunteers fan"

Just sounds wrong.
Which one in particular are you a fan of and why don't you like the others?

Reactions: SmokinBob
Kiffin admits he was immature, but he was always going to SC if offered. His contract just made it easy. Still, UT could have righted the ship quickly. IDT Hamilton was wrong about everything, but he did not handle any of it well. Hiring Dooley because he brought a big binder full of ideas and his daddy was an SEC legend kneecapped the program.

There’s just something about schools hiring sons of legends of the coaching industry and hoping it can be replicated. That was the case with Dooley. It was also the case with Mike Shula.

We’re also seeing it currently with Shane Beamer.

Last edited:
NC state game next year… how good are they? Didn’t their QB just enter the portal?
Their starter from last year did. They've played 2 different guys this year, but finally settled on a guy named Morris. He's a good runner, very inconsistent passer.
Doren is their HC who was a former DC and that is certainly their better side of the ball. Overall they're a very average team, Tennessee should win that game by 2+ scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back