Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this real?

Richard G. West
@RGW_News
·
Tennessee Basketball, along with its new venue sponsor Food City announce a future game site in the parking lot of a Food City grocery store.

The Dec. 9th matchup with ranked Illinois will be held on a temporary court built at the Western Ave Food City in Knoxville.
No, anything by Richard G. West is fake

Mixed reviews incoming if a change comes Tyson Helton style for Banks:

DJ Durkin

Don’t agree with what happened but he isn’t a head coach and I’m sure he has learned a lot.
If you get Durkin you will get massive defensive recruits. Many of the current A&M roster and recruits are waiting to see what happens with him. If you want to overhaul an entire side of the ball, that would be an easy way.

Tell me you're getting the Cowbell State job without telling me you are getting the job.
You think SEC schools are interviewing a single candidate, and then making an offer? The fact that he interviewed just means that he interviewed for the position. It doesn't necessarily mean that he is going to be offered the position.

This basketball team being called a title favorite is a little much right now. Still not convinced. Michigan state got beat by James Madison at home. JMU is good but that still shouldn’t happen to a good MSU team. Offensive woes for long stretches still happen. They will probably win 25-30 games, but I don’t know about being a title favorite yet

Jesus...you just can't help yourself can you?

You think SEC schools are interviewing a single candidate, and then making an offer? The fact that he interviewed just means that he interviewed for the position. It doesn't necessarily mean that he is going to be offered the position.
It's called a joke.

Money? Check. Facilities? Check. Hotbed of recruits? Check.

If you want the full picture listen to Josh Pates take on it. He essentially says A&M is a top coaching job in the country. If they make a good hire, which is where they have screwed up the last 2 times, then they will be a consistent player. I’m hoping they blow it again.

I listened to Pate and have to disagree with him. Not sure ATM is a top 5 job in the new SEC for anything other than salary. Alabama, LSU, Florida, Texas, UGA, and OU are all better jobs, IMO. I’d lump ATM in with us and Auburn. They’ve got all the pieces but so do the other programs and every one of the others have generated a lot more hardware since WW2 than ATM.

I listened to Pate and have to disagree with him. Not sure ATM is a top 5 job in the new SEC for anything other than salary. Alabama, LSU, Florida, Texas, UGA, and OU are all better jobs, IMO. I’d lump ATM in with us and Auburn. They’ve got all the pieces but so do the other programs and every one of the others have generated a lot more hardware since WW2 than ATM.
I'm curious about your opinion on what makes Alabama a better job (beyond history). Better recruiting territory? Better funding? Same for OU.

Timing + reality of Starkville= confirmed hire

Reactions: TheRain
Their starter from last year did. They've played 2 different guys this year, but finally settled on a guy named Morris. He's a good runner, very inconsistent passer.
Doren is their HC who was a former DC and that is certainly their better side of the ball. Overall they're a very average team, Tennessee should win that game by 2+ scores.
Morris opted to redshirt. Was the starter, won 3 of 4 games and then decided he wanted to redshirt. Came out of nowhere

Money? Check. Facilities? Check. Hotbed of recruits? Check.

If you want the full picture listen to Josh Pates take on it. He essentially says A&M is a top coaching job in the country. If they make a good hire, which is where they have screwed up the last 2 times, then they will be a consistent player. I’m hoping they blow it again.
The last 2 times? According to Texas A&M Football's wikipedia page, their last national title was in 1939. If they are a "top coaching job in the country", then how do they explain the last 84 years with zero national championships? They've only won one conference championship since the Southwestern Conference was dissolved. A number of Volnation posters weren't even alive back when the Southwestern Conference was around. What about that history suggests the capability of being a "consistent player"?

And just like Tennessee after Fulmer Texas sucked for ten years No top tier coach is going to take a job that treats the outgoing coach like we treated Fulmer and Texass treated Brown. You get Charlie Strong or Lane Kiffin, not an upgrade.
You guys that say this, or no one would want to come here,
Make me laugh.
Lane was one of the hottest commodities on the market then.
USC jumped on him in a split second as soon as that job opened up!
No top tier coach is going to take a job that treats the outgoing coach like we treated Fulmer and Texass treated Brown.

Reactions: Ttucke11
You guys that say this, or no one would want to come here,
Make me laugh.
Lane was one of the hottest commodities on the market then.
USC jumped on him in a split second as soon as that job opened up!
We brought Fulmer back and he hired a meatball to be head coach. And we paid him a ton of buyout money. He wasn't treated any worse than any fired coach. And he needed to be fired we just made bad moves after that. But like you said Lane was the hot commodity. There's some revisionist history going on here.

Reactions: GVol1966
The last 2 times? According to Texas A&M Football's wikipedia page, their last national title was in 1939. If they are a "top coaching job in the country", then how do they explain the last 84 years with zero national championships? They've only won one conference championship since the Southwestern Conference was dissolved. A number of Volnation posters weren't even alive back when the Southwestern Conference was around. What about that history suggests the capability of being a "consistent player"?
And you saw Pate’s response about the casual fans commenting about the Aggie job… recent success doesn’t matter according to Coaches and Administrators. It’s all about the money/support behind the program

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
I’d actually argue the opposite when it comes to old SEC vs new SEC. New SEC is you better have a good NIL and resources or you will be left behind and quick. TAMU is set up in that regard. I’m also looking at top jobs as in what place is the most set up for success, not past hardware. Bama hadn’t won a NC in 17 years, but they had the resources. Enter Nick Saban. UGA hadn’t won a NC in 40 years but they had the talent hotbed and the resources. Enter Kirby Smart. TAMU has had a longer drought than those two combined, but has the talent hotbed of Texas and endless resources. Enter ____.

They thought that sentence would end with Jimbo Fisher. They thought wrong. They have to nail the hire. That goes for any program, but IF they do then that program is set up take off faster than most places. Those resources will buy top recruiting classes just like they did 2 years ago and whatever else that coach needs. That’s what makes it a top job. Idk if I’m quite as high as Pate though, think he has them as a top 5 job? Can’t remember.

Hopefully they do like their last 2 coaches and they hire a dud though.

Shoulder surgery. He joins the growing out for season list.
Ah ok. Hate that he is injured but glad he didn’t do anything to get on the bad side of coaches.

Where was Telander? I just don’t get how the obvious like 44 and 2 getting roasted every play isn’t being addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back