Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate Carter went down, we for sure got to get our most talented and best producing linebackers on the field. We need to hit the weight room hard. We have a lot of young players that need to develop. We have to develop swagger and some leaders out of this younger group. No reason not to be ready to play every Saturday. You are only guaranteed 12 of them. GBO

Reactions: Volunteer821
This basketball team being called a title favorite is a little much right now. Still not convinced. Michigan state got beat by James Madison at home. JMU is good but that still shouldn’t happen to a good MSU team. Offensive woes for long stretches still happen. They will probably win 25-30 games, but I don’t know about being a title favorite yet
Keep your bets hedged. That way you don't get too hurt if we fall short.

The last 2 times? According to Texas A&M Football's wikipedia page, their last national title was in 1939. If they are a "top coaching job in the country", then how do they explain the last 84 years with zero national championships? They've only won one conference championship since the Southwestern Conference was dissolved. A number of Volnation posters weren't even alive back when the Southwestern Conference was around. What about that history suggests the capability of being a "consistent player"?
We can keep talking past success all we want, but past success != future success. Future success, and what makes a job most appealing to be a top job, is how is your program set up to compete with the best teams in the nation. They have the facilities. They have the stadium. They have a massive, albeit weird, fanbase. And most importantly, above all, they have the money.

We have, according to most lists, the best NIL program in CFB. It’s not because we have the deepest pockets though. Spyre is just set up better than anyone else and is the most creative and forward thinking… as well as a large balance of cash. You know who is #2 on most lists? TAMU. And they all say they have more cash and are more ambitious but they lack the creativity. They bought the best ever recruiting class 2 year ago. TAMU is set up. Top coaches will 100% look at it as a top job.

Reactions: screenthis
Is this real?

Richard G. West
@RGW_News
·
Tennessee Basketball, along with its new venue sponsor Food City announce a future game site in the parking lot of a Food City grocery store.

The Dec. 9th matchup with ranked Illinois will be held on a temporary court built at the Western Ave Food City in Knoxville.
I am trying to hate Richard West, but, damn, if he isn't pretty funny.

I listened to Pate and have to disagree with him. Not sure ATM is a top 5 job in the new SEC for anything other than salary. Alabama, LSU, Florida, Texas, UGA, and OU are all better jobs, IMO. I’d lump ATM in with us and Auburn. They’ve got all the pieces but so do the other programs and every one of the others have generated a lot more hardware since WW2 than ATM.
Explain to me how OU, FL or LSU are better jobs? Houston is a huge recruiting territory and you can also recruit Dallas as easy as OU . You have access to San Antonio and top recruits in Louisiana. The NIL they have is second to none which helps them go anywhere in the country to compete for kids they want. It is a superior academic school to OU and LSU. Their stadium and facilities are better than most anyone in the nation. LSU and OU are not better jobs than A&M. The argument about FL has taken a hit also. It takes a special coach to win there (Spurrier and Meyer). They cannot plug and play. At least at places like A&M, when the coach is bad, you still win 7 games. Florida has shown that they are capable of sucking for awhile. Florida has an insufferable fanbase and leadership has weakened since Foley left. Coaches are growing weary of their unrealistic expectations and treatment of good coaches. Here is how I would stack jobs in the SEC.

1. GA. They give coaches time and it is the best recruiting area in the country without a major player to fight against. They are also a good academic school that supports their athletics.
2. Texas. They have all the resources and advantages that GA does. They do have to compete for recruits, but they are the flagship and have excellent leadership on campus. If not for the annoying boosters, this could be the best job in college football.
3. Bama. Winning matters and they win a lot. They also have hired two of the greatest ever. Excellent facilities and tradition make up for weak academics. Also an underrated recruiting territory.
4. Texas A&M.
5-9. Level from OU, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, Auburn. Florida best recruiting base and academics. Recently Tennessee has passed Louisiana in recruiting talent. Some of the best talent from New Orleans moved to Houston and Nashville during Katrina. Auburn has a great recruiting base with metro-Atlanta and solid kids throughout Alabama. Florida has best academics but worst leadership. Auburn has terrible boosters with egos but solid academics. OU has tradition, facilities and good support, but academics and lack of a recruiting base withing 3 hours hurts. We are becoming stable and this is attractive to coaches along with great tradition, NC's, and incredible people at the top now.
10-12. Ole Miss, Kentucky, South Carolina. Good places to play but lack tradition, academics, or facilities compared to others.
13-14. Arkansas and Missouri.
15. MSST
16. Vandy

I could listen to why OU and FL should be higher, but there are compelling points to keep them where I see them.

This basketball team being called a title favorite is a little much right now. Still not convinced. Michigan state got beat by James Madison at home. JMU is good but that still shouldn’t happen to a good MSU team. Offensive woes for long stretches still happen. They will probably win 25-30 games, but I don’t know about being a title favorite yet
The may not be title favorite.but they are the media darlings as of now.....Book it CRB gets his National Championship with this team....

Reactions: Nuctech777
Hate Carter went down, we for sure got to get our most talented and best producing linebackers on the field. We need to hit the weight room hard. We have a lot of young players that need to develop. We have to develop swagger and some leaders out of this younger group. No reason not to be ready to play every Saturday. You are only guaranteed 12 of them. GBO
He backed up Beasley…so we did.

Ah ok. Hate that he is injured but glad he didn’t do anything to get on the bad side of coaches.

Where was Telander? I just don’t get how the obvious like 44 and 2 getting roasted every play isn’t being addressed.
Herring is just a sophomore. Asking him to play ILB is a pretty tall task. He’s pretty up and down, but I think it’s forgivable.

I’m a little disappointed we haven’t found anyone better than McCollough at this point. By all accounts he’s a VFL and good dude. We’ve definitely all clamored for a back up, only to realize the guy starting was starting for a reason. Just wish one of the young guys with a little more athleticism and instinctiveness had managed to win the job.

I should have qualified that with Oregon. Haven’t noticed any Duck HC’s ever matching their winning and production elsewhere.
How dare you Chip Kelly was my favorite Philadelphia Eagles HC...he performed wonderfully...after doing so well at Oregon...

People want to crap on Banks and our defense but they're not the reason we've lost 3 games so far.....it's this below average offense. Let's take a look at the offensive output in some of our SEC games shall we....

@UF......16 points
TAMU.....13 points
@bama....20 points in the 1st half and decided that was good enough.
@Mizzou....7 points

This is disgusting to look at...thank God we had UVA , UTSA, and UCONN to make our PPG look commendable.

So did we just see Pili come in and play one single game in orange and white and then leave, or is there optimism he may try to come back for another season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back