Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not 3 years in when your coach was hired in January after the December signing period. Heupel had no influence on that first class other to bring in spring transfers. That 2021 class did nothing (except Byron Young as a JUCO), and they would all be juniors. Then I will admit that they didn't recruit great in the secondary in 2022. We are relying on 3 star veterans in the secondary.

Obviously, the hope is that the step up in recruiting of the secondary in 2023 will start to show moving forward.
So you're saying they need 6 or seven years? That's ridiculous. I would agree if we saw significant improvement but we haven't. In year 3 we still can't defend a pass. We constantly make mediocre qbs look like Heisman finalist. With the portal you should be able to have a competitive roster in a couple of years.

Many DCs would be hesitant because of the tempo and low time of possession of the offense. It's no easy on the defense, quick three and outs and quick scores. I think Banks has done a good job and I think most people who want him fired do not look at he whole picture or just don't understand.
Our top would be significantly less if they could get off the field on third down. They consistently give up 3rd and longs. John Chavis thinks they give up too many 3rd and longs.

So you're saying they need 6 or seven years? That's ridiculous. I would agree if we saw significant improvement but we haven't. In year 3 we still can't defend a pass. We constantly make mediocre qbs look like Heisman finalist. With the portal you should be able to have a competitive roster in a couple of years.
Wow…talk about stretching my comments. 7 years? Hahaha.

We have seen significant improvement. Facts are facts.

Transfers are great to fill holes; not to overhaul your position groups. You still have to develop.

Once again, no point of discussing if you aren’t going to accept that Heupel had no influence on his first freshman class and that the defense has actually improved. We aren’t competitive? Holy ****, we went 11-2 last year. But, carry on.

Jonathan Wade was on Josh and Swain today saying TN needs some "dogs" on the team. There seems to be 0 leaders on the team.
Thanks for the post. I hadn't come across these guys. Very detailed. A lot of our issues from their perspective seem to be about players not making plays (as opposed to bad coaching).

Reactions: Volunteer821
Our Pass D is in the top half of the country, even after declining after losing our best db far and away.

It's like you watch games, through expert lenses, and see one of the worst defenses in the country...without watching any other games (objectively)...and yet make conclusive, far-reaching opinions.

As for talent:

1) NCAA cloud over us for 3 years

2) 2021 class hardly exists

3) Reduced scholarships

4) We do have some top talent...it's just now coming in.

5) Despite all of this, our defense has improved EVERY YEAR 😅

And yet KNOWING ALL OF THAT:

NoT gOoD eNoUgH tO tHeSe OlD pRo's EyEs

Or just keep going straight pre-moneyball for all I care and be a common fan in the stands with binoculars and a notepad...they see everything!

What a fall from this guy.

Chip Kelly’s fall is one of the thing that worried me about a coach like Heupel. Kelly was an offensive wizard. He had Oregon the most exciting team in football. They are where they are now because of him. And then he turns out to be a total dud later on. He get figured out or what?

Reactions: beneVOLence
Chip Kelly’s fall is one of the thing that worried me about a coach like Heupel. Kelly was an offensive wizard. He had Oregon the most exciting team in football. They are where they are now because of him. And then he turns out to be a total dud later on. He get figured out or what?
Didn’t recruit at a high enough level. That’s the whole game. It will be for Heup, also.

His scheme at UCLA is toatally different then what he ran at Oregon.
He got figured out in the NFL, then tried to run more pistol and changed his playcalling at UCLA.
Its one of the reasons I view Heup as a bridge, and this season plays into that narrative. Kelly, Malzhan etc.... They come into the big leagues with some new fancy offense, and in a couple years everyone knows how to stop it.

Reactions: GoBigOrange86

He changed his offense after going to the NFL.

He over-corrected.

Yeah, I don't think we're going to see Tennessee sustain success in the top tier of the new SEC basically ever. We might luck out and win it here and there in special seasons, but it's never going to be like what it was in, say, the 1990s. Too much competition.

It's frankly one of the reasons I hated conference expansion, but money talks.
We are still capable of being in the top3-5 most successful SEC teams. We're not the only team that has to play the new schedules. We are capable of winning the SEC just as often as the other best SEC teams.

He got figured out in the NFL, then tried to run more pistol and changed his playcalling at UCLA.
Its one of the reasons I view Heup as a bridge, and this season plays into that narrative. Kelly, Malzhan etc.... They come into the big leagues with some new fancy offense, and in a couple years everyone knows how to stop it.

This post gonna look silly when we have a top 5 offense again in a couple years

I hope you're wrong about Heup being a bridge but this is my concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back