Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t buy into the opposing teams’ propaganda. Offense will be elite again.
I have faith it can be again, I'm just kinda pessimistic by nature and I always worry about the worst case type of stuff. I've seen innovators get "figured out" before. Malzahn took a team that went 0-fer in the SEC all the way to the national title game in his very first season. There's Kelly at UCLA (though as you and others mentioned, he changed his system). I guess Briles had sustained success, cut short because he's a monumental scumbag, but Baylor stayed good.

Don’t buy into the opposing teams’ propaganda. Offense will be elite again.
How many years has Heupel been an OC or head coach? Seems like someone would've figured it out by now.

People act like his offense doesn't evolve, like he just has about 10 plays he runs year after year. Some people have uncured concrete between their ears, especially if they can't see how flexible his offense is after how it has morphed this year.

Last edited:
How many years had Heupel been in OC or head coach? Seems like someone would've figured it out by now.

People act like his offense doesn't evolve, like he just has about 10 plays he runs year after year. Some people have uncured concrete between their ears, especially if they can't see how flexible his offense after how it has morphed this year.
Its morphed into a less explosive offense, thats not a good thing. First 2 years guys were running down field wide open, now schools are taking that away.

How many years had Heupel been in OC or head coach? Seems like someone would've figured it out by now.

People act like his offense doesn't evolve, like he just has about 10 plays he runs year after year. Some people have uncured concrete between their ears, especially if they can't see how flexible his offense after how it has morphed this year.
Definition of insanity is responding to a troll with any expectation of honest conversation. 😏

I have faith it can be again, I'm just kinda pessimistic by nature and I always worry about the worst case type of stuff. I've seen innovators get "figured out" before. Malzahn took a team that went 0-fer in the SEC all the way to the national title game in his very first season. There's Kelly at UCLA (though as you and others mentioned, he changed his system). I guess Briles had sustained success, cut short because he's a monumental scumbag, but Baylor stayed good.

I don’t think anybody got figured out, I think they didn’t have the QB they needed. Lincoln Riley teams put up a million points every year bc he always has an elite QB. Same for OSU normally. As will Heup moving forward.

Our Pass D is in the top half of the country, even after declining after losing our best db far and away.

It's like you watch games, through expert lenses, and see one of the worst defenses in the country...without watching any other games (objectively)...and yet make conclusive, far-reaching opinions.

As for talent:

1) NCAA cloud over us for 3 years

2) 2021 class hardly exists

3) Reduced scholarships

4) We do have some top talent...it's just now coming in.

5) Despite all of this, our defense has improved EVERY YEAR 😅

And yet KNOWING ALL OF THAT:

NoT gOoD eNoUgH tO tHeSe OlD pRo's EyEs

Or just keep going straight pre-moneyball for all I care and be a common fan in the stands with binoculars and a notepad...they see everything!
Those 2020 and 2021 classes should be 70% of the players starting next year. Except most of them left with Pruitt. Would be nice if some of the 2020 class used a Covid year. Would help in the trenches for sure.

Bill Walsh never got figured out. Had hiccup seasons but that gimmick short passing thing became pro style.

Its morphed into a less explosive offense, thats not a good thing. First 2 years guys were running down field wide open, now schools are taking that away.
You're actually trying to make a negative about what is really a positive. It's not that schools are taking that away. It's that we don't have the players to run that same scheme. And Heup adjusted to a more run centered, controlled offense. Big adjustment.

Not taking it away, just not having the confidence to do it as much as years past. Until the last two games the 10-20 yard across the middle passes have been pretty much non-existent. I think that is because of the QB throwing the ball high more times than not. Over throw those and the only people that catch them are on the other team. Still a little gun shy I suppose.

You're actually trying to make a negative about what is really a positive. It's not that schools are taking that away. It's that we don't have the players to run that same scheme. And Heup adjusted to a more run centered, controlled offense. Big adjustment.
Not really, coaches are sitting in two high so the explosive plays arent there.
Also early in the year we were still calling the double stack formation where Bru or the TE basically blocks the corner and the guy behind him runs down the field and gets wide open. What we run at the 34:15 mark in the video below. We got called for OPI on it several times early this year and we quit running it, that play was a huge part of the explosives coming out of this offense the first 2 years.

Not really, coaches are sitting in two high so the explosive plays arent there.
Also early in the year we were still calling the double stack formation where Bru or the TE basically blocks the corner and the guy behind him runs down the field and gets wide open. What we run at the 34:15 mark in the video below. We got called for OPI on it several times early this year and we quit running it, that play was a huge part of the explosives coming out of this offense the first 2 years.

A fair and specific point. Still, with the right players (Hooker and Hyatt), we'd still be throwing bombs. With Milton? Lot's of runs and passes that are really extensions of the run. I think (hope) you'll see the old schemes coming back with Nico.

Chadwell would do well at UCLA… he is energetic and strategic at the same time. Good recruiter… would he fit personality wise? Idk… but he’s a damn good football coach. Or he could wait until Mac retires at UNC. That’d be a little more natural fit.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back