Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, my left butt cheek.

But my OnlyFan subscribers already know that.

Right Glitch?
Back Away GIF - The Simpsons Homer Slowly - Discover & Share GIFs

He's the 8th highest paid defensive coordinator and this is year 3 of fielding a crap defense. It's a joke. Pay Maryville high school's defensive coordinator $100k and just put 1.4 mil towards defensive NIL deals and you'd get better results.

What's "crap" defense to you?

We're 29th in scoring defense (20.2 ppg allowed)
70th in passing yards allowed (227.5 per game)
26th in rushing yards allowed (113.1 per game)
40th in total yards allowed (340.6 per game)

I mean personally just the passing yards allowed has been crap and that's really just fell apart with Hadden's injury. And only Kentucky really lit us up.

Also just looking at the numbers... DJ Durkin has been doing amazing things at A&M, lots of baggage potentially though with him.

Reactions: Devo182
Honestly this season hasn't been bad....now if we see lots of good players enter the portal I may change my mind on that.

Before the season 7-5 was my floor for a solid rebuilding year, 8-4 would be good all things considered. Biggest difference is I actually though A&M instead of Mizzou would be a loss.

Injuries in a lot of starters forced us to play more youth earlier than expected. Long term it should be a benefit that Herring, Carter, Telander, Webb, Nimrod, etc. all saw lots of snaps this year (if they stay).

Every loss this season came down to both sides of the LOS.

In every loss the defense struggled specifically in the run defense. The only team we beat that ran for 100 was South Carolina, the other 3 games where we gave up 100+ on the ground we lost.
In every loss the OL stalled running the ball averaging just 3.5 ypc and just 105 yards per game.

I think Elarbee has done a fantastic job of developing talent, but his first two OL classes just haven't had instant plug & play guys for the SEC. That has to change and it appears the 2024 class is addressing it. On the DL side of things, I'm not sure really. Probably more injury related than recruiting or talent, especially on the interior Omari, Norman-Lott, Simmons, Hobbs, all missed games.
I don't mind the overall record of this team. I think we lost to two teams that we should have beaten. My biggest disappointment is in how we lost, not that we lost. I knew this was going to be a major step back year.

Two things have disappointed me. The defense is really no better than last year. My hope was the defense would compensate somewhat for the regression we'd see on the offensive side. It hasn't. Second, I'm disappointed in Joe. I didn't expect him to be a Hendon but I though he'd be much better than he's proven to be. He's just not taken that step. I completely understand why Nico hasn't been given a chance either. I don't think he's ready, especially physically.

What's "crap" defense to you?

We're 29th in scoring defense (20.2 ppg allowed)
70th in passing yards allowed (227.5 per game)
26th in rushing yards allowed (113.1 per game)
40th in total yards allowed (340.6 per game)

I mean personally just the passing yards allowed has been crap and that's really just fell apart with Hadden's injury. And only Kentucky really lit us up.

Also just looking at the numbers... DJ Durkin has been doing amazing things at A&M, lots of baggage potentially though with him.

When any team with a pulse drops 29+ on you

I thought teams needed time to gel
That's the going argument for the 12 team playoff, or one of at least.

I've gone on record multiple times saying I hate it.

But that also backfires on you, SCAR was gelling, TN had lost 2 of their last 3 and gotten drilled by SCAR. They were in a sense ungelling so even more of a reason to drop us.

Pretty cool story; I have a friend that is a season ticket holder for the Nola pelicans, he called me this AM saying he has a new favorite NBA player. Said in the pregame Grant Williams went up to everyone sitting courtside and fist bumped them and thanked them for coming to the game and at the end of warm ups did the same thing to all the ball boys and refs

That's the going argument for the 12 team playoff, or one of at least.

I've gone on record multiple times saying I hate it.

But that also backfires on you, SCAR was gelling, TN had lost 2 of their last 3 and gotten drilled by SCAR. They were in a sense ungelling so even more of a reason to drop us.

I get it. We're just going to go back and forth, but I disagree. It's infuriating to me sometimes. If you lined up, and played the game, and x team won over y team. With equal records (no major injuries)....x team should be ranked higher than y team. Hello...you play, to win the game.

I get it. We're just going to go back and forth, but I disagree. It's infuriating to me sometimes. If you lined up, and played the game, and x team won over y team. With equal records (no major injuries)....x team should be ranked higher than y team. Hello...you play, to win the game.
Enjoy the 12 team playoff that makes H2H irrelevant.

I don't mind the overall record of this team. I think we lost to two teams that we should have beaten. My biggest disappointment is in how we lost, not that we lost. I knew this was going to be a major step back year.

Two things have disappointed me. The defense is really no better than last year. My hope was the defense would compensate somewhat for the regression we'd see on the offensive side. It hasn't. Second, I'm disappointed in Joe. I didn't expect him to be a Hendon but I though he'd be much better than he's proven to be. He's just not taken that step. I completely understand why Nico hasn't been given a chance either. I don't think he's ready, especially physically.

I mean objectively speaking you're wrong on both accounts BUT I'm not sure what your personal definition of "defense being better" is either. It's the best defense Banks has fielded, statistically in his tenure here.

2023: 20.2 ppg, 340.6 total yards allowed, 66% passing, 227.5 yards per game, 113.1 rushing, 1.4 turnovers a game
2022: 22.8 ppg, 405.3 total yards allowed, 62.6% passing, 289.5 yards per game, 115.8 rushing, 1.6 turnovers a game
2021: 23.1 ppg, 421.7 total yards allowed, 61.2% passing, 273.2 yards per game, 148.5 rushing, 1.2 turnovers a game

As for Joe, we've gotten the best version of Joe possible I think...so he took the step BUT I don't think the best version of Joe Milton is the best option for this system mainly because I think our style of play calling has changed to cater to Joe. But I am honestly shocked at how good Joe's numbers have been 65.3% 2283 passing yards 16 TDs 5 INTs, 301 rushing yards with 5 TDs

With 2 games left in the season he's on pace for 2740 passing yards, 25 total TDs and 360 rushing yards. That's a great season for Joe, that's not a great season for a QB in Heupel's offense...it's actually going to be the worst season for any starting QB in Josh's system since he's been a HC.

Hooker:
2022 - 3565 total yards 32 total TDs (missed 2 games)
2021 - 3565 total yards 36 total TDs (didn't start against Bowling Green)

Gabriel
2020 - 3739 total yards 34 total TDs
2019 - 3731 total yards 33 total TDs

McKenzie:
2018 - 2970 total yards 34 total TDs (only played 9 full games)

So did Joe step up and play much better? He did, he got better than he was in previous years...but he didn't step up enough to reach the level that a QB in this offense SHOULD be capable of especially in the TD department.

I think my biggest concern...

2021 - 28th toughest SOS, played a total of 5 top 25 teams (1-4 against them)
2022 - 21st toughest SOS, played a total of 7 top 25 teams (6-1 against them)
2023 - 49th toughest SOS, played a total of 3 top 25 teams (0-2 against them, with GA left still)

So the softer schedule might have actually hidden how much worse we actually were this season. If Nico is a great QB then we should see a team capable of winning 10 or more games while he's starting however long that may be. I just hope we can continue to recruit in the top 10 and the next rebuild year we don't see quite the same sort of dip as we did this year, because based on the softer schedule we still should have been capable of winning 10 games.

I hope Bama winds up 5th. Just so close that they could taste the playoffs but far enough away that they are on the outside looking in for a second straight season.
The lower the better imo. Either way, Bama's record presupposes crooked officiating. That is disqualifying. Their record is not legit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back