Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the 2001 TN vs FL game last night. It's funny how over time your memory of how things play out changes. In my mind we beat them soundly. We didn't. A few things stood out....

We got screwed by the refs in that game as usual. On two separate occasions we got to Rex Grossman where we caused him to turn over the ball. The first was when he threw the ball backwards and they called it a forward pass. It wasn't even close. The second was an obvious fumble and they called him down. There wasn't replay then but judging by the last game I'm not sure it would have made a difference. There was bias in officiating then and there's bias in officiating now.

Fulmer almost cost us that game. He made a bone headed decision to go for 2 early when there was no need to. That gave them a chance to tie by going for 2 at the end of the game.

Travis Stevens was a man possessed. He was a hard man to tackle. Showed speed, quickness, shiftyness, and power. One all-time great performance.

Casey Clausen had probably the best mental makeup of any qb I've seen wear the orange. He earned that nickname, "the Iceman". Calm cool, and collected. Hendon Hooker would be a close second.

Rex Grossman was one tough dude. I couldn't stand him at the time but we continually knocked him down, beat the ever living dog snot out of him and he continued to make clutch throws, many times as he was falling down. By the way, our dbs couldn't cover granny clampet back then either 😅.
Grossman had a game like BY had against us last year. Without him, it was a blowout. It seemed like Chavis could never figure out Spurrier.

Having an Achilles tear at a similar age I don't think it has to be a career ender at his position. When they repair it, it is stronger than before. You do lose flexibility but I don't think that would be a career killer as a qb. He may say "f" it and retire though.
I hope he comes back. I’m a Jets hater, but I’ve never really disliked Rodgers, even if he is a little crazy.

Tennessee’s best modern history run was 92’-04’ won about 80% of the games. A few trips playing for a national championship and a few conference championships. 05-20’ total disaster with a few decent seasons sprinkled in 06’ 07’ 15’ 16’ 19’ 08’-13’ worst ever 5 losing seasons. Can’t believe Tennessee was that incompetent

It's going to be a chore to ever beat them...they just have sooooo much talent stacked up...it is just ridiculous.
Their defense is good enough that their offense only needs 14-17 points a game to win almost every game. The good news is they (likely) won’t be an annual opponent soon with the new schedules. I doubt we would play them in 25 again

Somebody did a breakdown of every single incompletion on the football forum which proves this point with screen shots.

Some people are now saying it's his decision making and processing defense. I haven't seen him missing open receivers running down the field and taking the check down. I would imagine these goal post will continued to be moved because some people don't like Joe.
I don't know that they don't like Milton. I think they just love to criticize and find fault, especially with a qb. That's what they do. The qb is an easy target. But it's also the lazy take.

They take reasonable things to criticism and blow it way out of proportion. You know, it's all Milton's fault. OL breakdowns? That's on Milton. Bad PI calls? Milton. Holding? Milton. WRs dropping passes and fumbling? Milton.

He certainly had a few bad throws. But what qb doesnt? We conveniently forget HH's misfires, as recent as that was. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back