Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has emphasized skin color as a selling point to recruits and transfers.

We simply need to get past that as a society... past the point where it matters to ANYONE.
That's being race centric. Not the exact same as racist.

Deion has white kids all through his starting lineup.

He does play favorites, but usually those are the better players anyway.

Hell if we had Sheddeur Sanders we'd of beaten Virginia by 50, and AP by 60. And who wouldn't want Travis Hunter.

We'll never get past what you say "we need" to get past. Because black people were brought her in chains. You'd have to be African American and grow up as that to truly understand.

Here's what I can find. Someone on here had said torn tricep I believe. Edit: Weezered

"The timeline for return for injured Tennessee middle linebacker Keenan Pili will be determined “over the next couple of weeks,” according to head coach Josh Heupel. The BYU transfer suffered an upper-body injury during the 49-13 win over Virginia on Saturday in Nashville.

“(I) anticipate as we go over the next couple weeks, we’ll kind of figure out what the timeline is for him,” Heupel said Wednesday night during his weekly appearance on The Vol Network’s ‘Vol Calls.’ “Hopefully we’re able to get him back here in the middle part of the season. But (he’s) someone that you just hate it for (him).”

Heupel on Wednesday confirmed a report from Volquest’s Brent Hubbs that Pili will be out multiple weeks after sustaining the injury on Saturday.

“We weren’t sure early in the week the severity of the injury,” Heupel said. “He will not be available this week. He’ll miss a couple weeks here.” "
Honestly as long as he's back for A&M game I'm happy. That's when the real gauntlet starts.

I watched most of the Austin Peay game last night. I try not to form opinions based on early cupcake games but did see one thing that stood out. John Campbell pass blocking at left tackle is poetry in motion. Seems like a very good portal pickup.

I would say I'm rooting for you this weekend but, since UT is a bigger threat, I'll grudgingly pull for the lowly Gata's to manage an upset. I'm sure you guys will return the favor. :)

Don't like the big line in the UGA-USC game. They don't look like a great team by any stretch, but Rattler can be dangerous when he's hot and I'm not impressed by what I've seen of Bobo 2.0, so far.

I watched most of the Austin Peay game last night. I try not to form opinions based on early cupcake games but did see one thing that stood out. John Campbell pass blocking at left tackle is poetry in motion. Seems like a very good portal pickup.

I would say I'm rooting for you this weekend but, since UT is a bigger threat, I'll grudgingly pull for the lowly Gata's to manage an upset. I'm sure you guys will return the favor. :)

Don't like the big line in the UGA-USC game. They don't look like a great team by any stretch, but Rattler can be dangerous when he's hot and I'm not impressed by what I've seen of Bobo 2.0, so far.
Cheering for the gators???

Punch-GIF.gif

That's being race centric. Not the exact same as racist.

Deion has white kids all through his starting lineup.

He does play favorites, but usually those are the better players anyway.

Hell if we had Sheddeur Sanders we'd of beaten Virginia by 50, and AP by 60. And who wouldn't want Travis Hunter.
Same difference. I have no problem with him playing his best players or with them being black. That's not what we were talking about.
We'll never get past what you say "we need" to get past. Because black people were brought her in chains. You'd have to be African American and grow up as that to truly understand.
That's not true. No black person alive today was brought here in chains. We can talk about the history of slavery if you like but it was far more diverse and complicated than what you just wrote. For instance, there were over 1500 black slave OWNERS when the Civil War started. The first permanent, non-criminal slave in America was an indentured servant denied his freedom... by a black slave owner... who held 4 white indentured servants as well. All "slaves" were brought to what is now the US early on as indentured servants. Even as late as 1800, 10% of blacks in America were already freed.

The period of time that shapes the popular image of slavery occurred from 1800 to 1860. It was spawned by two things. One was the westward expansion of plantations into the western portion of the south. Two was the outlawing of new slave imports following the Revolution. During that time, slaves began to be "bred" like animals. Whereas slaves were previously treated in a fairly benign way... the chattel slavery that developed in the "deep south" was harsh.

If you really want to look at the current problems... they don't go back to slavery or even institutional racism. It directly resulted from the impact of the welfare state on the poor. A larger but shrinking portion of the black community was poor in the early 1960's. The black home was already on shaky ground. Welfare destroyed it. Thomas Sowell has some excellent, well referenced videos detailing this history.

Something like 24% of self-identifying "white" people in SC... have a black ancestor from the US slave era. Children that were "too white" were sent to cities like Charleston and New Orleans... where they were well kept and socially accepted/elevated.

It just really isn't so simple as many think... and it makes a VERY poor excuse for anyone.

It isn't necessary to "understand" the baggage someone is letting hold them back. It is necessary to treat them as equals and with respect going forward. That's all we control. Only a fool let's their own past much less a past they've never experienced to hold them back.

My grandparents on both sides were dirt poor. One farmed strictly for subsistence... the other had some tobacco to supplement their home. A LOT of "hillbillies" are still wallowing in that kind of poverty. I choose to remember that history... to take pride in some of it. You can't let it determine your future. That's even more true if the past oppression was BAD. One of my best friends was a boss I had in Seattle. He was black and from VA. He NEVER let that baggage hold him back. He concentrated on being as good as he could be. He "assimilated" in the business environment. The past can't be changed. The future can... but not by holding onto to the negatives in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back