Recruiting Football Talk VII

You've stated that Joe had issues throwing, the WRs had issues catching, the OL had issues protecting. WRs and OL compounded the issues with injuries. You've affirmed all of that, yet you want to ultimately blame it on the coach's gameplan (that had to try to make chicken salad out of the... ahem... ingredients you listed)?

That's not expecting a coaching staff. That's demanding Jesus and the apostles, amigo.
Guys....I've never said the coaches should get all the blame. Do they get a piece of the blame pie? Absolutely. If yall think the offensive coaches are completely absolved then we will have to agree to disagree.

Does the defensive staff get the same grace or nah? They easily got the worse hand from deck.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Yes, he did have a solid year...because play calling was adapted to what he could do well. We also weren't nearly as explosive on offense...because play calling was limited by what he couldn't do well.
This is where the argument doesn't hold water. How can we be less explosive with the guy with the strongest arm in the country? The same guy who's deep ball accuracy has improved year over year. So we can't call the deep ball bc he can't throw the deep ball well enough? Is that what you implying?

This is where the argument doesn't hold water. How can we be less explosive with the guy with the strongest arm in the country? The same guy who's deep ball accuracy has improved year over year. So we can't call the deep ball bc he can't throw the deep ball well enough? Is that what you implying?
No. It’s just a fact the offense wasn’t as explosive. Maybe because the wrs weren’t as good or Milton wasn’t trusted to make decisions down the football field. Maybe it’s a mix of both. But the offense wasn’t nearly as explosive as last year

I agree. That's where "effectively" comes into play. A mix of homegrown and transfer talent will be the key, I believe.

Depth will be an issue from now on. How do you keep talent that isn't starting? I see a lot of parity in the future.
If something radical doesn't change with transfer rules, homegrown players will be a small minority. In essence, coaches will be developing players for other teams. Not so sure coaches will be willing to do that for long.

Do you think that arm strength is the only thing needed to have an explosive offense? That's ridiculous.

Hooker had 7 more passing touchdowns in one less game. The year before he had 11 more than Joe in once again less games than Joe played this season. And he had only two more rushing touchdowns while playing more games this season. So I don’t know what stats you are looking at but you are very incorrect. Hooker is better at every single statistical category over Joe except for rushing touchdowns. I agree that it’s not all joes fault but saying they had comparable stats is a lie
Hendo's 2 year average:
68.9% completion %
3,040 yards passing (season)
9.65 yard per attempt
29 Passing TDs
4 INTS
Total TDs: 34

Joe this year:
64.7% completion %
2,813 passing yards
7.9 yard per attempt
20 Passing TDs
5 INTs
Total TDs: 27

Those numbers "mirror" to me.

Whats something tangible you can share to prove that the reason the offense was limited solely because of the QB?? Joe's numbers are in line with Hendon over the past 2 seasons.

If you are saying the offense was limited or worse (all of this is in comparison to 2022) and Joe played a factor among other factors that I've mentioned earlier than we are in agreement. My beef is most folks are saying we were "limited" bc of the QB when his numbers mirror Hendon's.

And I don't disagree that the offense will probably be better than 2023 next year. But my belief is not solely based on the QB. Comparing 2023, we will be better on the Oline and WRs and I expect a better Joey Hazle and CJH from the gameplan, play design, play calls going into Year 2. I do also think Nico is the real deal.

Hooker average 9.5 and 9.7 ypa. Good for 1st in the SEC in 2022 and 2nd in 2021. Joe averaged 7.9 ypa, good for 8th in the SEC. Hooker average 29 TDs in 2 seasons while Milton threw 20 TDs this year.

Hooker averaged 500 yards rushing in 2 years, Milton ran for 300 yards this year.

Their #s aren't similar. Hooker was at the top of the league and Milton's numbers were middle of the pack.

In for a quarter, in for a buck. The CFP would be a ten team SEC playoff with two other teams invited from elsewhere, maybe two from the B10.
How absolutely terrible sounding for CFB.

Hope that league never materializes and if it does, it inmediately implodes.

F the SEC

Hooker average 9.5 and 9.7 ypa. Good for 1st in the SEC in 2022 and 2nd in 2021. Joe averaged 7.9 ypa, good for 8th in the SEC. Hooker average 29 TDs in 2 seasons while Milton threw 20 TDs this year.

Hooker averaged 500 yards rushing in 2 years, Milton ran for 300 yards this year.

Their #s aren't similar. Hooker was at the top of the league and Milton's numbers were middle of the pack.
Hendo is/was the better QB, nobody would debate that. There numbers are close imo outside of the passing TDs.

This is not a Hendo/Joe comparsion. I'll shift the focus back to the original topic going forward.

Hendo's 2 year average:
68.9% completion %
3,040 yards passing (season)
9.65 yard per attempt
29 Passing TDs
4 INTS
Total TDs: 34

Joe this year:
64.7% completion %
2,813 passing yards
7.9 yard per attempt
20 Passing TDs
5 INTs
Total TDs: 27

Those numbers "mirror" to me.
Throw in the rushing numbers and none of it “mirrors”

Absolutely not but I want to know why were we less explosive this year in your opinion?
I've already stated. Milton was less consistent, especially in pressure situations. That was compounded by WRs with the dropsies.

To simply point at Milton's arm strength and say that that makes it more of a headscratcher that UT's offense was less explosive is to not have watched Hooker and Milton. I watched every play EXPECTING Hooker and the WRs to do something amazing. I learned to expect Milton to miss a pass, throw it high, skip it in the dirt, throw it late, throw it like a canon for eight yards. Or, for the WRs to drop it when it hits them in the basket.

Hooker could throw it into tight coverage over the middle for 15 yards when we needed 12 to keep a drive alive. Milton was generally throwing a screen or overthrowing down the sidelines. It would be interesting to see 3rd down conversion stats between Hooker/Milton. That'd probably be the best insight into which QB was driving the offense.

Milton's stats weren't really as close to Hooker as you make it out. But the way he built the stats were far different than Hooker as well.

For the old school wrasslin folk, I highly recommend seeing the Iron Claw. I took my 95 year old dad and had a great time seeing it today. Movie was very well done. Such a family tragedy. Them boys all believed in a family curse and it played out.

I watched them back then and especially Kerry. Tragic story. Haven't seen the movie, but I still think the father's demands and pressure drove a lot of the problems that plagued the family. Didn't see a "curse" just an overbearing father with extreme expectations. Roids didn't help and likely led to the mental issues surrounding that family.

Gus’ halftime interview…

8XFT0K.gif

Hooker had 7 more passing touchdowns in one less game. The year before he had 11 more than Joe in once again less games than Joe played this season. And he had only two more rushing touchdowns while playing more games this season. So I don’t know what stats you are looking at but you are very incorrect. Hooker is better at every single statistical category over Joe except for rushing touchdowns. I agree that it’s not all joes fault but saying they had comparable stats is a lie
If you ignore the stats and just watch how they played, no way you think Milton's season was anything remotely similar to Hooker in '22.

VN Store

Back