Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t looked into this a ton—but Brazzell being the 11th portal WR seems low. He looked very talented on tape

It is, several guys in the portal are rated simply off of their original recruiting rankings which is all well and good but players who have actually achieved results are more valuable imho. Thornton has all the intangibles in the World but hasn’t really done much here

The poster should include NIL.

We like to talk about Butch’s recruiting ability, if NIL was a thing when he was recruiting pretty well, you probably would’ve seen that same tweet.
Butch was recruiting against others paying the same way he did. CJH is recruiting against others with NIL. Not sure you can just say TN is suddenly paying more than everyone else.

Good article on NIL valuations and how most of the money numbers that get thrown around are mostly BS. But still a lot of unknowns even among the people that run collectives.

On recruiting further DLs - a position we've stockpiled nicely

"McKinley is the focus for now, and Tennessee has the luxury of being pretty selective at that position since the Vols really don’t need a lot of help there going into next season. If they can find someone in the portal, they might be open to adding someone who could assist them in replacing Tyler Baron. Otherwise, though, they don’t have to force the issue since they have so many veterans coming back on the defensive line.

Along those lines, they haven’t been too aggressive in handing out offers to defensive linemen in the transfer portal. I think they still could end up taking one from the portal, but we’re not aware of them being involved with any targets there right now."
in your defined position they can sit tight waiting on additions to portal now or in may cycle. they might have some advance notice of as yet undeclared entries through the player or handler network.

On the drop in yearly production, it can be due to losing players AND Golesh.

No doubt in my mind Golesh is a special coaching talent and his loss hurt the overall staff capabilities. Also, Hooker and Hyatt were a match made in heaven.

You don’t drop from 46 PPG to 31.5 PPG and it be one thing. That’s 31% lower!

It’s the loss of Golesh and players and you can’t convince me otherwise. Respect my decision.

Part of the drop in PPG has to be attributed to the running clock. Let’s say that led to 1 less TD per game. We’re still another TD short.

I respect Milton for hanging around, being a team player, and giving his all. Without a doubt he had the strongest arm out there. His biggest flaw IMO was his inability to anticipate receivers coming open. Once he saw the play he tended to get excited and fling the ball at warp speed…many of which were overthrown high…mostly in those intermediate throws.

Yep.

The argument on here that Golesh did not matter, it was all Heup is silly. No successful coach is an island unto himself, they all need quality right hand guys. The buck just stops with the HC. Alex was one of those elite right hand guys that has proven he was this season with USF. Ignoring what I learned from a VFL close to the program over the last few years, the obvious clue for posters on here should have been that Golesh was trotted out for pressers far more than any assistant coach for the previous two years. All fans were impressed with his knowledge of the game and communication, even on here. Joey H was an intern learning from two highly capable HC's along with other experienced staff. Time will tell if he learned well enough.
I don’t see the analogy. What “intern” is there at the very beginning and at every stop of a CEO’s journey as HE “learns” the offensive system he formulated? We’re talking 2009 to PRESENT as opposed to Golesh arriving at UCF in 2020! I would say Halzle had more to do with TEACHING the system to Golesh. They’re different personalities and AG’s is more conducive to being a HC and Heupel groomed him for that eventual role. We’re easily impressed by confidence in interviews and imo that’s what we miss more than any X’s and O’s.

Yep.

The argument on here that Golesh did not matter, it was all Heup is silly. No successful coach is an island unto himself, they all need quality right hand guys. The buck just stops with the HC. Alex was one of those elite right hand guys that has proven he was this season with USF. Ignoring what I learned from a VFL close to the program over the last few years, the obvious clue for posters on here should have been that Golesh was trotted out for pressers far more than any assistant coach for the previous two years. All fans were impressed with his knowledge of the game and communication, even on here. Joey H was an intern learning from two highly capable HC's along with other experienced staff. Time will tell if he learned well enough.
I don't think anyone really believes that Golesh didn't matter. The argument is more that the play calling was off because no Golesh vs the play calling was off because Joe lacked ability. Obviously the staff matters or we wouldn't have a staff. Personal opinion is that the majority of the offensive weakness was due to Heupel's hands being tied due to personnel, not because Golesh was making him that much better. If we never get anywhere near '22 form, then we'll know, yeah Golesh was just that good, but I think we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back