Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just means more… or less
I wonder if its more to do with our mid to lower level teams playing the better teams from other conferences? For example this year, UT is 8-4 playing a 10 win Iowa. I haven't looked, but I wonder how many bowl games are set up like this? Anyway, doesnt really matter. . . if the SEC is a dominant league, it should be beating basically anyone it plays from other conferences.

Probably. But SEC teams have to play other SEC teams early too. That’s part of the way this works. Tennessee’s loss to Florida counts the same, even if we’d probably have beaten them in November.
Not my point. They play a weak schedule. And I’m pointing out that they got Bama at the perfect time. If they played an SEV schedule, I doubt they only have one loss. It will be proven next year.

Beautiful Orange. Are you coming back this way for the Citrus bowl or are you staying there for the new year? Heck of a vacation my man!
We're loving it. Very fortunate to get this chance. We're in Hanoi now and flying home on Christmas. Will be ready for the bowl game! GB🍊!

I could live for 60 days in the woods. I would not want to, but I could. Done probably 1k nights of camping and hundreds of miles of backpackingb at this point. That presumes one has appropriate clothing. Any of us could die of cold exposure without proper gear. Especially wet weather gear in deep winter. The issue is you'd get disoriented and start making worse decisions. I agree though on the east coast you are probably never more than 2-3 days away from civilization.
Not sure exactly how it's calculated, but yeah remote in TN still isn't that far. A bit surprising given the vastness of the Smokies, but I think you and a few here have mentioned why it's still not that bad. Nothing like out west

Screenshot_20231223_114150.jpg

Not sure exactly how it's calculated, but yeah remote in TN still isn't that far. A bit surprising given the vastness of the Smokies, but I think you and a few here have mentioned why it's still not that bad. Nothing like out west

View attachment 604367
One thing that always sticks out to me. Hikers and hunters are completely different animals. I’m all for people getting outside and have absolutely nothing against hikers. However there’s a huge difference between walking a few miles on a hiking trail from point A to point B and going over 3 ridges, a few thickets and finding yourself in the bottom of a hollow with a 200lb deer you have to get back to your truck.

if you find a stream or creek and follow its downward flow you'll be money. People cant live without water, been that way for every animal ever.

Find the water, foller it. And you'll live.

Reminds me of Into The Wild.

The real life guy was apparently, tragically, only 30 miles from civilization had he followed water. He believed he was much further from anyone.

View attachment 604367
The "Time to nearest city"; is that calculated at walking speed of 3 miles per hour?

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
If they played in the sec and had to play bama they wouldn't have played them so early and then probably lost to them later in the season

Milroe was awful until about half way through the year. The Bama team that is now is completely different than when Texas played them earlier in the season. If they rematch, Bama will beat them.
Yes, that Bama team that beat a 4-8 Arkansas team by 3 and needed a miracle to beat an Auburn team who had lost by 3 TD’s to NMSU on their home field the week before. They were really hitting on all cylinders the second half of the season. Totally different team.

One thing that always sticks out to me. Hikers and hunters are completely different animals. I’m all for people getting outside and have absolutely nothing against hikers. However there’s a huge difference between walking a few miles on a hiking trail from point A to point B and going over 3 ridges, a few thickets and finding yourself in the bottom of a hollow with a 200lb deer you have to get back to your truck.
I'd say so.

Some go to view for a day, others go to stay a while.

I'd day backpackers compared to hunters is more comparable. Not sure who I'd give the nod to, but I'm guessing backpackers are more well-rounded in survival skills, while hunters have a very particular set of skills...

And both groups would do much better with just 1 person from the other group.

Last edited:
The "Time to nearest city"; is that calculated at walking speed of 3 miles per hour?
It's not very clear. I looked at other states to see relative value. Many states in the east are 1-3 hours. Florida took the cake at 8-9h iirc. Middle of the Everglades.

Out west, Alaska, Hawaii blew all that out of the water

My guess is optimal conditions, ie you hit a trail - you could bike it - once you hit a driveable road, you hitchhike, etc. Otherwise I don't see 3 hours...

Screenshot_20231223_115807.jpg

Reactions: HalfullVol
SEC record in Bowl games last 2 seasons 14-14...

That's dominating...

Yes Georgia won title but in Bowl games SEC under performs...

SEC had 62 NFL draft picks last year, more than any other conference and Big 10 was the only one even remotely close. 40 of those 62 were taken in the first four rounds where the best players typically are drafted. Again, far more than any other conference.

Most of those players, who were critical to their teams’s success, were not playing in the bowl. Easy to see just with UT. Our best guys weren’t out there against Clemson. We still won, but easy to see how that impacts chance of winning a bowl game.

It affects the SEC more than any other conference. Also imagine portal will be having an impact as well especially on depth and experience.

SEC had 62 NFL draft picks last year, more than any other conference and Big 10 was the only one even remotely close. 40 of those 62 were taken in the first four rounds where the best players typically are drafted. Again, far more than any other conference.

Most of those players, who were critical to their teams’s success, were not playing in the bowl. Easy to see just with UT. Our best guys weren’t out there against Clemson. We still won, but easy to see how that impacts chance of winning a bowl game.

It affects the SEC more than any other conference. Also imagine portal will be having an impact as well especially on depth and experience.
SEC,SEC...

Reactions: hooter vol
I flunked English as everyone can see daily....
i write in short hand all the time…. I can’t write sentences anymore to save my life…. i laugh at some of the things that i have put on here…. you would never know i had a 4.0 and on the Dean’s list in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back