Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBD. Washington looking to blow up that narrative.
Talk about impressive and an exception to the norm. Extremely well coached. Lowest talent composite of the playoff teams. Players you’ve never heard the name of making great plays over and over. Penix seems to be living out the story hooker nearly wrote. I hope the Huskies win it all!

Seems nit-picky. Cant depend on exceptions if you need many of them. Better to bring in more talent than rely on everyone turning out to be an exception to the norm.
So why RECRUIT better? When you sign a high school kid who’s better than what you have on the roster, they’re not an “exception”…they’re EXCEPTIONAL. See Trey Smith…and they exist!

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Some commentator showed where it was supposed to go, but I cannot remember. Only that it was not a draw and Milroe scrambled. Things happen for a reason. I won't question this one.
Last play? It looked designed to me. Might have actually worked except for the play of one player (#5) for Michigan. Milroe looked to be setting up the block by approaching the middle of the line before a break to the left off the guard and tackle, kind of like an under exaggerated counter. Instead, the bull rush of #5 pushes an Alabama lineman far enough back that his left leg kicks out and trips the qb as he approaches the line before breaking off tackle towards the end zone. And the defense collapses upon him as he falls forward on the ground.

Sweet, sweet justice. All is right with the world.

Some commentator showed where it was supposed to go, but I cannot remember. Only that it was not a draw and Milroe scrambled. Things happen for a reason. I won't question this one.
It looked like the right guard pulled to lead a run off left tackle inside of the edge defender. The RB flare was just to lighten the box. I think the low snap affected the timing, resulting in Milroe running too quickly at the line and losing his lead blocker.

Would it have worked? The left edge defender was unblocked and not all that far upfield. He gets contact at least, but Milroe is a big dude. And everybody on that defense was keying QB run. I’m skeptical.

Reactions: drvenner and DD4ME
So why RECRUIT better? When you sign a high school kid who’s better than what you have on the roster, they’re not an “exception”…they’re EXCEPTIONAL. See Trey Smith…and they exist!
That’s exactly why you have to both recruit better and rely on the transfer portal to fill gaps when they appear. Not sure what point you’re trying to make.

Still don’t think exceptional should have to be depended on year one. Proctor for bama being example, detracted from their play despite being as good as he is, because they didn’t have someone better AND more experienced to rely on. I’m sure the majority of his mistakes had everything to do with his lack of experience and familiarity with the offense and defenses schemes than his talent. Gotta recruit over people and fill the wholes with experience as needed.

In case any of you would like to stretch the bowl game victory lap and also put your lamentations and woes into perspective here is a video from Iowa coverage. Reminder Iowa had a better record this year and made their conference playoff. We all know the caveats, but one of us ended with 3 yards and a cloud of dust and the other ended riding high and optimistic for the future.

Theoretically, Karic is supposed to be the guy at LG next year, which would give UT a veteran o-line without having to rely on the younger guys developing faster. But Karic was supposed to be the guy last year and was beat out by Ollie-- over and over and over again. He also has injury issues. So... an experienced LG seems like a play. Will be interesting to see who enters the portal between now and 1/13.
Ya karic is a prime example of either he didn’t turn out as expected or we didn’t get who we wanted and needed. Would think if the former his NIL is being evaluated as someone to potentially replace unless, they think he can still be who they need him to be.

In a weird way, I feel bad for Ollie. We talked him into staying with football only for him to be made the visible scapegoat for our OL issues. Left guard was a snag in the thread all season. You could also easily argue the depth at tackle (davis) and center (lang - seemingly due to age) are not of requisite talent needed.

I am the perfect example of what not to do on a message board. I did not watch a single Pac 12 game this year with exception of Colorado losing their first game. This means I should not comment whatsoever about their conference. I was wrong about Washington. They’ve got guts and I hope they pull in a Natty next week. On the same token I watch almost every SEC game. So, I know a lot about our conference, and I was 100% correct about Alabama. They are who I thought they were. An inconsistent team with an inconsistent quarterback. The improvements that they made in the second half of the year were all created by the media in your minds. The Arkansas and Auburn games told us they were the same team as the first half of the year with exception of running their QB more. They were lucky to catch Georgia in an off game and I’m glad they did. Otherwise, we’d be watching Georgia win their third consecutive national championship. It all worked out perfect. Go, Huskies!
I almost wish UGA had made it now.

Washington would skull **** Kirby so badly. The embarrassment would have been well worth it.

Reactions: Ratvol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back