Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work the ones we landed in as true freshmen. If they can address LG, errybody returning fits the “stud” label.
I would label copper and spraggins as studs…. campbell a step below that…. i wish we could get a LG and a new right tackle…. Hopefully…. we have better depth…. If the young guys are ready to go in the first two years then that would be amazing…. We need to maximize the two years that we have of Nico.

that's why i think it's so interesting to watch what happened at aTm, Miami, UF with how they were were recruiting and landing these big names...and just a couple years down the road...bupkis.

what kiffin is doing is either really smart, or repeating what those schools did. i think it's smarter because you have some semblance of what you're getting as a college player and the players themselves have some experience with the whole experience to draw on.

still......if buying a roster was sure fired, the Yankees would win the series more times than not. and i still think chemistry and leadership on a football team matter, and while it's apparent you can manufacture a roster, i'm not sure you can manufacture the intangibles that sometimes wind up being the thing that puts a team over the top.

my sense is there's a lot of "grass is greener" going on, and ultimately they'll fall short of what will be expected of what i think will be a preseason top 5 OM team this coming season.
If anyone can manage a team of mercenaries, it's Kiffin. He's a mercenary himself.

Is there timestamp I can reference for this?
It was about 2 minutes into the 2nd quarter, and it was Jordan not Jennings. But the entire game was so incredibly corrupt. And really that was only one instance. Even Freak, who tries not to complain about officials, said that the Birmingham officiating in that 2019 game was staggeringly "criminal." I wouldn't bother to watch it. It will only cause more frustration. And this year's game may have even surpassed it. Just watching a few minutes to find the time for you reminds me that it seriously would be just for Bama to get the death penalty and Saban and the people in Birmingham should be serving life sentences in state prison, preferably in Louisiana or Mississippi.

Edit: I see @drylo already answered

Last edited:
Yeah that’s McMurray. Was asking if another one besides him
Not that impressed by him, but as I always say, my opinion doesn't matter. I just don't see him as a step up. More just a body to potentially fill out the roster. I think we could do better.

Not that impressed by him, but as I always say, my opinion doesn't matter. I just don't see him as a step up. More just a body to potentially fill out the roster. I think we could do better.
Technically he has a higher pff grade than McDonald if im not mistaken

no, i don't think that's the case at all. i think it's just a very good sign that the whole attitude toward this program has changed. expectations are different, and if you're winning 9 games on the regular in the SEC....you're alot closer to winning it than you are when you're only winning 4 or 5.

so being engaged enough to see what pieces are needed to get closer to where we want to be is actually a sign of how far the program has come, in just 3 seasons with the staff.

going in to a little more detail, i think what has most people, rightfully so, riled up about the O line at all is the overall depth isn't there, and the pass protection isn't good enough. to a man, i think everyone agrees this OL has been very good in the run game.

as for the defense, i think the best way to put it is that our defense DOMINATED what most suspected to be a bad offense. so in essence, they did what they should do, and then some, against a bad offense. no shame in that. they played well. it doesn't mean they're ready to line up against michael penix and Washington's offense and be "great".

i think part of the problem around here is that people forget more than one thing can be true at the same time..............................
Dammit Jake, gtfo with all that nuance and reasoning...

Let us have our fun
dave-chappelle (1).gif

We are buying stock in the narrative that 'OL is a major issue.' Yet two starters are on the shelf. Yes we need to get some help. But this team is pretty close. Just need a few more pieces.

Cannot over state how important it is to have a QB. That is 95% of the battle. The other % is DE. Annnnnnndd.... we got dat.
That’s the problem. It’s become the norm.
And it’s a big drop off from the starters to the backup.
If you don’t have 3 backups that can come in and not hardly notice the difference, then you’re not good on the OL.
We are not good!

Common theme in all the outliers has been elite QB play. So a solid roster, well coached and developed, with an elite QB can win a championship. Sounds like what Heupel has been working toward. Almost like he knows...
Precisely (nearly) the equation needed to break the Blue Chip Ratio barrier, as said by its very own creator. Washington would be the first to prove it out. Michigan is easily in the BCR club and doing it more of an traditional way. The final piece of the equation has considered to be having some luck (positive variance) on your side...such as a wave of close wins...Washington has EIGHT single-score wins. In fact they haven't won a game by more than 10 points since September 23rd 😳

Heupel has been teetering on completing this formula and it will always be his formula.

Do more with less is the Heupel way. We're on our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back