Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pepsi Zero is nectar of the gods.
Wwe royal rumble GIF - Find on GIFER

Rewatched the Iowa game. I'm a Heupel fan... I just don't understand why we didn't use Nico in some fashion to help win games this year.

Maybe I'm wrong but redzone? We couldn't put together a Nico package? Heupel has always loved him some Joe.

Barnes has showed a thawing of ideals. DK is proof of that. He might not play him perfect, but i love that he is just letting him play most games, but benching him when he's ineffective. Kid is a pure talent. I respect someone that is willing to be flexible. I bet Iowa fans wish Ferentz would. I like that Heup seems to be flexible too with the way he ran the offense this year.

That brings me to my bigger point, I think it is really easy to get caught up in opinions and philosopies and forget what great men these guys are and just how respected. There may be better coaches, but we have some of the best all round quality coaches of any school anywhere in the country. They blend success and reputation. They give us nothing but good reasons to be proud. I'd even toss Tony in there despite his edginess. He does push the edge, but he shows flexibility and humility too. We have it better than I can ever remember wholistically. People should remember to smell the roses, because I doubt this lasts forever.

You cited games against two top 5 teams as the logic behind what teams will do to stop Knecht lol....very valid point.
Yes, which is my point. This team has been called a FF team. I think some expect it. Those are the teams you theoretically have to beat to get there.
I dont see FF with this roster.

Rewatched the Iowa game. I'm a Heupel fan... I just don't understand why we didn't use Nico in some fashion to help win games this year.

Maybe I'm wrong but redzone? We couldn't put together a Nico package? Heupel has always loved him some Joe.
Which game that we lost would we have won with a Nico package? UF? Most likely a long shot. Everybody sucked so bad in that game including the coaches.

The one game that mattered most UF Mays was out and Nico was still very new. IMO once we lost that game the things we were playing for were cut in half and the risk reward was amplified. You swap Nico and he does well you lose Milton and half the team. Joe was not alone in losing games they were group losses and those other team issues would have applied with or without Nico.

IDT holding Nico back was a strategy. CJH committed to Joe and told him it was his team before the season started. They expected to give Nico more reps, but the season didn't go as planned. Games were closer than expected, critical injuries were an issue and it just kept rolling forward. It wasn't a Grand Plan-- just a set of circumstances that affected the outcome. Nico was flashing in practice all season long and improved every time he played. If CJH could rewind the season, I'm sure he would play Nico more. He's said as much. But... page turned, and it's all good.
I was going to post this exact same thing. Nico has been ready. Heupel gave this year to Joe but knew Nico was always the chosen one. We can all debate on whether that was a good strategy or not.

What about Hawken smokeless tobacco , did you use it as a lad?
I remember when cherry/spearmint flavored long-cut skoal came out. Cherry wasn't horrible, I guess spearmint wasn't either, it was just too spearminty. Uhg. . .i remember the first time I tried dip. Got so sick at a high-school basketball game, 😂

A
It's amazing how much I started to dislike super sweet things once I stopped having them for a while. I switched from sweet tea to half and half, and all of a sudden I lost the taste for sodas and a lot of desserts.

I'm not ready to do the same with salt yet haha, I need my salty snacks and seasoned meats.
Amen. I gave up soda years ago and I never have a taste for it. I’m fact, carbonation is horrible to me now. I am slightly addicted to sweet tea but that’s my next thing to kick. Then I’ll be down to water and alcohol.

IDT holding Nico back was a strategy. CJH committed to Joe and told him it was his team before the season started. They expected to give Nico more reps, but the season didn't go as planned. Games were closer than expected, critical injuries were an issue and it just kept rolling forward. It wasn't a Grand Plan-- just a set of circumstances that affected the outcome. Nico was flashing in practice all season long and improved every time he played. If CJH could rewind the season, I'm sure he would play Nico more. He's said as much. But... page turned, and it's all good.
Merklinger should be able to develop this upcoming season as Nico has..

If good as advertised , he will be an adequate replacement for Nico in a couple of years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back