Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, which is my point. This team has been called a FF team. I think some expect it. Those are the teams you theoretically have to beat to get there.
I dont see FF with this roster.

We have 3 months of good basketball to be played and people are worried about the final 4 in March/April? We can get a 1 seed this year and lose to a 16 seed in the first round...ask Purdue.

I remember when cherry/spearmint flavored long-cut skoal came out. Cherry wasn't horrible, I guess spearmint wasn't either, it was just too spearminty. Uhg. . .i remember the first time I tried dip. Got so sick at a high-school basketball game, 😂
My grandmother caught me pouring her Bruton Snuff out when I was 7 years old..
My punishment was having to take a dip of it...Got sick as heck ,but I never touched her snuff can again..

The one game that mattered most UF Mays was out and Nico was still very new. IMO once we lost that game the things we were playing for were cut in half and the risk reward was amplified. You swap Nico and he does well you lose Milton and half the team. Joe was not alone in losing games they were group losses and those other team issues would have applied with or without Nico.
I think people also forget Nico was injured with his hand in the FL game…that would not have been a good game to play him regardless

I took a shot at EricVol (I think he's on here and also very present on Twitter hyping the Vol Club) on Twitter last week about how they were prepping for their victory lap on Seaton when he pulled his shenanigans, and how situations like that are why some folks have tapped the brakes on the collective. He and many others took exception to what I was saying...essentially replying that we should all pay our fair share and accept the recruiting losses when they come.

Piggy-backing on that, it seems obvious that we need to make an investment in OL, WR, and maybe a RB and LB. Does anyone know if we are in on high-rated portal prospects at any of these positions, other than the WR from aTm? I'm really not trying to knock Spyre/VC, but between the collective and the coaching staff, somebody needs to figure out how to close on a higher percentage of prospects at these vital positions.
Look, I’m not sure you’ll ever get what your searching for and contrary to your belief that this is an NIL issue, it’s not.

Tennessee’s NIL has delivered on everything asked of it and continues to be ready for anything needed.

We brought back every top current player our coaches wanted to keep from transferring out. We secured tons of guys who could be on NFL rosters next year. We have brought in top key transfers at positions of need and will add 2-4 more. Very sorry they may not be the super sexy names you want but we got the top guys our coaches identified.

Lastly we have the best per quality of player class we’ve had in 20ish years. We’ve done it with a coaching staff who doesn’t believe in undo pressure on players to commit, over the top promises or anything other than very candid honest connections with players. It’s what they believe in and is what builds our culture and helps us retain. It certainly has us lose some HS recruits here and there as there are many coaches still recruiting like it’s 2017 and making Empty Butch promises left and right and not adapting to the transfer world which is why you see other programs hemorrhaging unlike us.

Also there is absolutely no old school recruiting tactics being done here anymore with the NCAa issues. So no handlers getting cash, no extra visit incentives, no gray area stuff which is still happening in
Recruiting and I’m sure hurts us as well.

But in summary, TNs NIL is the best thing going for our recruiting efforts right now
And we’d love to have everyone join us so we can be as strong as possible.

Memberships

We work with our staff and are still well on our way to building a Championship team even if it doesn’t look exactly like @Chuckie thinks it should.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
We have 3 months of good basketball to be played and people are worried about the final 4 in March/April? We can get a 1 seed this year and lose to a 16 seed in the first round...ask Purdue.
Again, I'm just going off pre season talk/expectations a lot of people think this team has the pieces to break through.
I just dont see it unless they get some extremely favorable breaks. More so than a usual team.

Reactions: volinbama256
Those games were called closer to how March is called.

Like I said, the offense is improved, but it's not close to what I've seen make deep runs. I'd take the Grant/Schofield/Bone team over this one anyday.

That team didn’t get past the Sweet Sixteen even as a 2 seed…and went 3-5 against ranked opponents (Kentucky x2 & Zags).

Loved that team & players, but 1 shared regular season SEC title was all they got accomplished.

I like that this year’s team, has a far deeper bench and has already played teams like Purdue, Kansas, UNC, Wisconsin & Illinois.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volunteer821
That team didn’t get past the Sweet Sixteen even as a 2 seed…and went 2-5 against ranked opponents (both wins to Kentucky).

Loved that team & players, but 1 shared regular season SEC title was all they got accomplished.

I like that this year’s team has a far deeper bench and has already played teams like Purdue, Kansas, UNC, Wisconsin & Illinois.
They also beat Gonzaga that season

Ehhhh GIFs | Tenor
@Glitch

seinfeld-newman.gif

This Barnes team is more like a KY team a few years back where Freshmen have to get their feet under them. The difference is the whole team and DK are adjusting to each other. What I see in this team that you seem to be missing is we have multiple weapons and ways to win now. Anyone that can just cast aside what DK did at UNC after us being down like that is absolutely discounting a big part of March madness - stepping up when you need it most. We may have lost, but had he not rolled his ankle we maybe do the unthinkable. The future is bright for this team imo.

Reactions: UTJoe and Brillovol
That team didn’t get past the Sweet Sixteen even as a 2 seed…and went 2-5 against ranked opponents (both wins to Kentucky).

I like that this year’s team has a far deeper bench and has already played teams like Purdue, Kansas, UNC, Wisconsin & Illinois.
That team had 2 main issues

It wasn't as athletic as most, and it would blow leads like no other. When they wanted to though they were as good as any. Could score at all 3 levels, had a super dominant player that could take over games. They were also fearless.

I think the bench on this team is extremely overrated, Phillips and Estrella have a lot of growing to do. FD has been a disappointment, especially with the 6 month head start. Shak and Awaka are fine. Gainey has turned into what I thought he would be when we took him which isn't much. He's a volume shooter, when it's on he's fine when he's not he doesn't provide much. Aidoo, I don't even know what to say about him one day he's an NBA player, the next he would struggle in a rec league. I think the depth of this team is overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back