Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the rub many have, including myself to a certain degree is that year after year, we see a team with a ton of talent that struggles whether it be mentally or physically to play consistent high end basketball week to week. Yes you can argue that with most teams, but we seem to play hot and cold way too often and to the extreme over the past three years. We are looking good so far this season with the addition of DK, but still many players will show up one game and disappear the very next game. I think folks are just looking for consistent play from the top 5-7 players on the roster due to their experience at this point... We see this and they execute, and we can beat anyone in the country.
No, I just want to see TN make that magical run.

This off season all the talk was this is the team, they have the pieces.
I just dont see it. I think Barnes has had better more well equipped squads.
The offense which has been the gripe in years past has improved, this is a good team. I just don't see a group that is the total package and will make the run unless it gets more than the usual breaks.

I think the rub many have, including myself to a certain degree is that year after year, we see a team with a ton of talent that struggles whether it be mentally or physically to play consistent high end basketball week to week. Yes you can argue that with most teams, but we seem to play hot and cold way too often and to the extreme over the past three years. We are looking good so far this season with the addition of DK, but still many players will show up one game and disappear the very next game. I think folks are just looking for consistent play from the top 5-7 players on the roster due to their experience at this point... We see this and they execute, and we can beat anyone in the country.
I agree with this. Over the years, there have been too many games where the offense just disappears for long periods. It reminds me of Fulky scoring really well in one game and then disappearing in another. Is that a 'player' issue or a 'coaching' issue?

Barnes has to use and develop younger players if he wants depth. Glad for every minute Estrella gets. Gonna say it again...Barnes needs to get Dillione more minutes. Really think he needs to spell ZZ more, and Dillione would be my choice.
He's mad at FD, his words in a sense not mine.

He was asked last night why FD isn't getting more minutes and said he isn't consistent enough. Said he was like a cracker jack.

It's been mentioned ad nauseum that the defense Barnes demands will take a toll at points during the season. I'd really hoped our depth this year would help. It's still early. As long as we're hot come March, that's about all we can ask.

Reactions: volinbama256
Big test will be this weekend against an undefeated Ole Miss (they haven't really played anyone yet), but I know their coach hates UT and they will be coming in firing on all cylinders wanting to do whatever possible to pull the upset. They can make the 3 all day and have some big guys... We can't have key players going cold. We play a full, consistent game and we win by 10.
Their OOC conference schedule wasn't a juggernaut as Tennessee's was early on..

They did defeat a ranked Memphis team at home by 3 points and have a common opponent with Tennessee.
Both played N.C. State, Mississippi won by 20 at home and Tennessee defeated them on a Neutral Site by double digits I believe..

Chris Beard's teams are usually defensive minded that struggle to score..

Key to game is play fast so they can't set up their half court defense, if Tennessee can do this Tennessee wins by double digits at home..

Main issue was no depth, you had Bone, Grant, & Admiral and even Bone wasn’t a consistent scorer. It was basically a 6 man team with Fulky & Pons only offering defensive minutes.

But looking at this year’s roster and “not seeing it” is BVS to the max.

6 top 100 RSCI players none of which are Santi, ZZ or DK (arguably our best 3 offensive players).

If anything this team not having a deep March run would be underachieving, their issues have been mostly related to chemistry & experience. Even if Barnes shortens the rotation he still should have 8 guys playing north of 12 minutes.
it's january so this is me not overreacting....

but, i think this team is so inconsistent on the offensive end, again, that it plants that seed of doubt. i still don't know who you go to when you need a bucket. that said, i think JJJ has gotten better. he's been more aggressive this year so far, and that needs to continue. he's too big and athletic not to be more forceful to either drive and score/get fouled, or get it back outside to a shooter.

and i also think they have to find more consistent ways to get the ball inside to the bigs. I like what ive seen from JP, he has real potential and awaka is a beast. Aidoo....just inconsistent. not bad, not great.....but either way, when Tennessee has moved the ball inside out, the offense flows so much better.

but we get stuck just passing the ball around the perimeter....ugh.

anyway...i'm inclined to think that this pre season will serve us well, but if this team wants to make a serious run, they have to find consistency on the offensive end, and they need a couple of guys to step up be the "give me the ball" guy when you need to go get a bucket.

the fact that we can still go cold as a team on offense is infuriating, and in a one and done scenario, that simply can't be on the table in March. too much experience and talent on this team this year for "going cold" to be a thing.

as long as that's still a thing, i won't be surprised at really any result this season. could go to the final four or get bounced in the 2nd round. just, depends....

still not overreacting....just random thoughts i've had watching this team so far this year. i'm excited to see what we do against Ole Miss this weekend.

Rewatched the Iowa game. I'm a Heupel fan... I just don't understand why we didn't use Nico in some fashion to help win games this year.

Maybe I'm wrong but redzone? We couldn't put together a Nico package? Heupel has always loved him some Joe.
Could be that January 1 Nico is a much better version of October 1. Nico. I would assume that taking all the first team reps in bowl practice would have elevated Nico’s understanding of the offense. But I understand the idea of a package for him

I think that other team was a more complete team. Scoring at 3 levels, better defensive. Go to scorer, nobody scares to take the shot. Plus which I've said multiple times, I hate huge rotations, I think it's harder for guys to get in a rhythm. If you don't have a core playing 30+ minutes in March with your main guy going 35+ I just dont think its a great recipe.

Memory fog? That team gave up 69.7 points a game, it’s at 64.3 this year AND we’ve already played 4 ranked teams (5 if ya count Wisconsin who is currently ranked) in 13 games. Gave up 40.4% from the field versus 37.2% this year. Teams also shot 34.8% from deep against them, it’s 29% this year.

The 18-19 team was a lot of things, but a great defensive squad wasn’t one of them.

For the most part, I am hearing that they say Jake sux.
e3c345bd-31cb-40c1-9f05-5917e2d24cc3_text.gif

Because basketball fans are soft.

Go watch DK against Kansas and Purdue. A good coach in the tournament is going to scheme him up and just rip the ball from him when he tries to drive.
If they can scheme him up can't we scheme them up so it's not so easy to rip him?

A

Amen. I gave up soda years ago and I never have a taste for it. I’m fact, carbonation is horrible to me now. I am slightly addicted to sweet tea but that’s my next thing to kick. Then I’ll be down to water and alcohol.
I gave up soda a couple of years ago except for an occasional drink. Don’t miss it at all, but I just can’t give up sweet tea. I would love to get off sugar all together, but currently don’t have the will to do it. 😀

?It is the maddening inconsistency that has been present since his arrival. Praying he has turned the corner since there has been sufficient time to learn what needs to be done in the SEC. This next season he can prove it by handling teams well that have good O's. Fourth year in, he has his recruits and the time necessary to develop most of them.
What does that have to do with Banks? Ever think that it may have something to do with the Jimmys and the Joes? You'll see how inconsistent we will be when he gets the horses.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Memory fog? That team gave up 69.7 points a game, it’s at 64.3 this year AND we’ve already played 4 ranked teams (5 if ya count Wisconsin who is currently ranked) in 13 games. Gave up 40.4% from the field versus 37.2% this year. Teams also shot 34.8% from deep against them, it’s 29% this year.

The 18-19 team was a lot of things, but a great defensive squad wasn’t one of them.
It was good enough.

Idk maybe it was just a different game, pace or bad memory but I don't really remember those teams being bad defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back