Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
People complain that we don’t have any HS lineman playing under elarbee, but then the same people complain that we need 3 portal lineman since we have no one else to replace mincey. I’m not saying who’s right or wrong but people can’t keep playing both sides of the argument. Maybe umarov steps up or maybe vysen lang is ready?
The consensus is that he has done a very poor job at recruiting HS talent that can play in the SEC. His evals have to be better, plain and simple

I did enjoy it. That doesn't mean I see an area that will prevent the Vols from achieving what we all want.
IV, do you not think Banks will be much better with better talent, especially in the secondary?

I'm with you as far as not being that impressed so far, 3 years in. People can point to the PPG all they want; but, as I've said before, it's one of those stats that may not tell an entire story.

Have I seen flashes, though? Yes. I saw them Monday (granted, against an historic bad offense). However, that gives me hope his defenses can be better, with more speed and athletism in the back-end (that play Turrentine made was big-time elite). I think he likes to bring heat, I think he loves pressure from every direction; but, the DBs have to be able to hold up to do that, and we have yet to have that kind of talent. Also, it can't be overlooked that our offense did no favors for the D this year (TWSS). In our losses, the offense was worse than the defense, imo.

With all of that said, like with Kelly Harper (I wanted to see last year before I continued my support...she lost it)...Banks has my support for another 2 years. He inherited an absolute ***** mess, so...I said whenever they were hired, 5 years. Not only do I owe it to him...but, those flashes I talked about are real...they do give me hope of what he may be capable of doing with our young talent going forward.

The consensus is that he has done a very poor job at recruiting HS talent that can play in the SEC. His evals have to be better, plain and simple
He’s had 1 real class. I have a hard time counting 22 since it just seems that so many factors were against us in recruiting. I don’t think you can judge his rivals based on the fact that freshman didn’t play this year. The 2022 class on the other hand can all hit the road

People complain that we don’t have any HS lineman playing under elarbee, but then the same people complain that we need 3 portal lineman since we have no one else to replace mincey. I’m not saying who’s right or wrong but people can’t keep playing both sides of the argument. Maybe umarov steps up or maybe vysen lang is ready?
That's the rub. Since getting here, Elarbee has yet to develop any of his guys into starters. That needs to change. And given it doesn't appear we're going to land any of these elite OL guys from the portal, we really need Umarov and Lang to be ready to play. We need Larry Johnson to re ready to play. We need the other young guys to at least take reps. We have a generational talent at QB, and atm, a line that's gonna have him running for his life. Cooper, Spraggins, and Campbell should be solid, but we need more than those 3. And if someone gets hurt.... It could get ugly. We had a really good OL haul this class, but it's doubtful any come in ready to start day one.

It's not just his HS evals. Only one of the three OL we've pulled from the portal the last few years can really be said to have panned out. And that's Campbell. Elarbee did a phenomenal job with Darnell Wright, but he has to do that with the rest of the line now.

It seems like people who complain the most have the least invested. I never hear the amount of negativity in the stands as I do on here. The Vols are like my wife, she pisses me of sometimes but I love her dearly.
Same for me except substitute husband. Sometimes this place gets too negative and I have to take a break. I don’t expect constant sunshine and roses but the amount of negativity can be too much…and I use the Ignore feature.

I think that's the same side of the same argument. People are complaining about needing portal players because the HS linemen aren't good enough.

I don't necessarily agree, but I think you're misunderstanding the complaint of those complaining.

IV, do you not think Banks will be much better with better talent, especially in the secondary?

I'm with you as far as not being that impressed so far, 3 years in. People can point to the PPG all they want; but, as I've said before, it's one of those stats that may not tell an entire story.

Have I seen flashes, though? Yes. I saw them Monday (granted, against an historic bad offense). However, that gives me hope his defenses can be better, with more speed and athletism in the back-end (that play Turrentine made was big-time elite). I think he likes to bring heat, I think he loves pressure from every direction; but, the DBs have to be able to hold up to do that, and we have yet to have that kind of talent. Also, it can't be overlooked that our offense did no favors for the D this year (TWSS). In our losses, the offense was worse than the defense, imo.

With all of that said, like with Kelly Harper (I wanted to see last year before I continued my support...she lost it)...Banks has my support for another 2 years. He inherited an absolute ***** mess, so...I said whenever they were hired, 5 years. Not only do I owe it to him...but, those flashes I talked about are real...they do give me hope of what he may be capable of doing with our young talent going forward.
I guess you can look at it a couple of different ways. I think Heupel is a coach that can get more from less. I don't think Banks is that type of coach at all. I was taken to task because I said Pruitt wasn't a good coach, not even a good defensive coordinator. I believe he was a coach that built his reputation on the backs of superior talent. I like coaches that don't rely on solely having the best talent.

Reactions: SugarCC
It seems like people who complain the most have the least invested. I never hear the amount of negativity in the stands as I do on here. The Vols are like my wife, she pisses me of sometimes but I love her dearly.
Thats because people dont want to look like morons in public. . . except the idiots that like to boo, 😂

That's the rub. Since getting here, Elarbee has yet to develop any of his guys into starters. That needs to change. And given it doesn't appear we're going to land any of these elite OL guys from the portal, we really need Umarov and Lang to be ready to play. We need Larry Johnson to re ready to play. We need the other young guys to at least take reps. We have a generational talent at QB, and atm, a line that's gonna have him running for his life. Cooper, Spraggins, and Campbell should be solid, but we need more than those 3. And if someone gets hurt.... It could get ugly. We had a really good OL haul this class, but it's doubtful any come in ready to start day one.
Fair points. Let's hope they thread the needle because I think we have a chance to do something pretty remarkable next year.

I think that's the same side of the same argument. People are complaining about needing portal players because the HS linemen aren't good enough.

I don't necessarily agree, but I think you're misunderstanding the complaint of those complaining.
Completely fair. I think I did misunderstand the complaints

Reactions: rikberry31
It's not just his HS evals. Only one of the three OL we've pulled from the portal the last few years can really be said to have panned out. And that's Campbell. Elarbee did a phenomenal job with Darnell Wright, but he has to do that with the rest of the line now.
Mincey contributed. Played a bunch at LT last year for a very good OL and team. He panned out- just time for him to move on. They will find a solid replacement.

Same for me except substitute husband. Sometimes this place gets too negative and I have to take a break. I don’t expect constant sunshine and roses but the amount of negativity can be too much…and I use the Ignore feature.
For me, it's fine to be critical from a logical, sound basis. The ones that make me crazy are the overly emotional ones. No emotional control. You'll see them calling for Bank's head after one bad play and then praising him after a good play.

Did anybody see Tyre West Iowa post game interview? He was asked something along the line of what was the impact of having Nico and he responded “Natty” then he was asked if he was that confident and he replied “1000%”. Moral of the story Nico is the truth GBO!
Which undermines talk that Milton played so much because they didn't want to lose the locker room.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back