Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you can look at it a couple of different ways. I think Heupel is a coach that can get more from less. I don't think Banks is that type of coach at all. I was taken to task because I said Pruitt wasn't a good coach, not even a good defensive coordinator. I believe he was a coach that built his reputation on the backs of superior talent. I like coaches that don't rely on solely having the best talent.
I can understand that; but, even Tom Landry would be lost with guys like Jaylen McCollough and Tamarion McDonald.

As I've also said before, I can understand their loyalty to some of these guys, I can; however, those days are now over. Beginning next year, I don't care if it's a 15 year old, head to head with a 10th year Sr, who literally has orange blood, and his middle names are Neyland, Summitt, and Manning...if the 15 year old is better, he plays; and, if the 10th year Sr named, Bobby Neyland Summitt Manning Smith, with the orange blood, is garbage...I never want to see him step foot on the field, unless we're up or down 100-0.

While our young guys in the secondary will have their moments of WTF...I do expect to be MUCH BETTER on D next year, much better...and, for it to be obvious, not only on the stat sheet, but by what my eyes are seeing, as well! I'm not out on Banks just yet, because I'm trying to keep it in perspective. However, I can't blame those of you who, like I, have thought these first 3 years have not been very good, and don't think it'll get better.

Also, don't let it get too far from your thinking, the absolute ***** we have taken from the zebras. James Pearce should have had 13 to 15 sacks, at least.

was feeling better about recruiting, lol. everyone is freaking out about OT. really hope we land KS trasnfer, need to solidify things. Mincey was a liability.

Last edited:
I've thought about some of this a lot lately. I will share this not to sway any of you, but to share my perspective on our current circumstances. It may also provide some insight on my posts.

When we had Fulmer we had every advantage people imagine today about Saban. We had NFL studs stacked like firewood at grandpa's cabin. We love to look back now and cite that as our major disadvantage today, which is fair.

As an impressionable teen though what I wished for was not that we had more studs, but that we had a guy like Spurrier. One man that seemingly managed to mitigate all those studs we had. One singular diabolical country ******* that could negate our Manning and beat us with Weurffel, and provide a snarky sound bite to rub our noses in it. That is not to say I did not also worship Fulmer. My single greatest memory is watching us beat FL in the driving rain in Neyland in 92 at Fulmer's first foray as our coach. My parents also went to school with Fulmer and my dad played football on the same fields he did. Admittedly my dad was undersized and Fulmer was always larger than life. That's woven into my psyche and will never be taken from me.

What I believe today is that we have in Heupel a guy that cares like Fulmer, played like Fulmer, and hates to lose like Fulmer, but can scheme like Spurrier

Heupel has that unique way of seeing this game that allows him to take a washed up QB from VT and make him a Heisman contender, and to beat teams on paper he shouldn't have.

If you take those gifts and pair him with an exceptional QB like Nico the sky is truly the limit. Maybe give it at least this year before you pine for your next Spurrier or your next Manning.

I've thought about some of this a lot lately. I will share this not to sway any of you, but to share my perspective on our current circumstances. It may also provide some insight on my posts.

When we had Fulmer we had every advantage people imagine today about Saban. We had NFL studs stacked like firewood at grandpa's cabin. We love to look back now and cite that as our major disadvantage today, which is fair.

As an impressionable teen though what I wished for was not that we had more studs, but that we had a guy like Spurrier. One man that seemingly managed to mitigate all those studs we had. One singular diabolical country ******* that could negate our Manning and beat us with Weurffel, and provide a snarky sound bite to rub our noses in it. That is not to say I did not also worship Fulmer. My single greatest memory is watching us beat FL in the driving rain in Neyland in 92 at Fulmer's first foray as our coach. My parents also went to school with Fulmer and my dad played football on the same fields he did. Admittedly my dad was undersized and Fulmer was always larger than life. That's woven into my psyche and will never be taken from me.

What I believe today is that we have in Heupel a guy that cares like Fulmer, played like Fulmer, and hates to lose like Fulmer, but can scheme like Spurrier

Heupel has that unique way of seeing this game that allows him to take a washed up QB from VT and make him a Heisman contender, and to beat teams on paper he shouldn't have.

If you take those gifts and pair him with an exceptional QB like Nico the sky is truly the limit. Maybe give it at least this year before you pine for your next Spurrier or your next Manning.

1704428752359.gif

1704429136032.png

1704429232442.gif

Oh well. Always subject to change…by the second! Shored us up for two seasons…first at LT then RT. I’ll remember him fondly.

This is the way.

The game has evolved to a more minor league structure with the portal and fans should expect some kids will be mercenaries trying to make as much as possible while they can. Most will never get paid professionally after college.

We (and other serious programs) should expect our program to keep a nucleus of more dedicated/committed talent with some moderate portal movement each year. There will always be mercenaries whose services are needed and others who are motivated by other factors and stay at one school....especially if proactively given a fair payday like we have.

I think haves and have nots is inevitable. These are some of the greediest people on earth.
No i mean the gap between would grow exponentially. Right now the haves and have nots exist but its merits based. Bama gets players because 5000 nattys. Osu gets wrs and cb's because the nfl drafts their starters every year. But they earned that.

If we go to a place where colleges can directly pay players. It be one a socio-economic thing. A state like Mississippi or Iowa or north dakota never has a chance. They are poor states. Maine is looking to have their first ever first rounder this year. Why? Its a tiny poor state. TN is not a rich state or large but we have cache. And good colors (dont sleep on that). We will be ok but in that situation would be stuck midpack. Some New york college would come out of nowhere. They wouldnt win but they'd be around (Knicks). California and texas would rule college sports. Math is undefeated. They have the most talent and the most money on size alone. California could leave the USA and still be a top 10 economy. Texas is not far behind. These are facts f how you feel. If we make it a flat out pay em thing everyone else loses. As portal and NIL exist they are still wonky. But if you states can pay (most colleges are public) it becomes money and a state that generates multiple billions beats one that generates multiple hundreds of millions everyday. The population of TN is around 6 mil CA is around 40. TN gdp is around 0.47 CA is closer to 3. Do the math.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back